LUCOM vs LECOM Elmira

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EssentialOil123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from New York City and am deciding between these two schools. I would like to remain in New York for residency and am interested in Internal medicine/Endocrinology subspecialty.

LECOM Elmira
Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Closer to home

Cons:
  • No match rate data yet
  • Hesitant about PBL

LUCOM
Pros:
  • Faculty and administration seemed nicer based on interview. I liked the more intimate, homey feel. I lived in Virginia for a year and am technically domiciled there, although it doesn't really matter since it's a private institution.
  • Greater emphasis on student wellness
  • 99% match rate

Cons:
  • Slightly more expensive by about 10K
  • Farther from home.
  • Iffy reputation. I'm a Christian, so I'm fine with the spiritual aspect, but not sure how the institution is viewed outside of SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

I got very bad vibes from LECOM and withdrew my application after the information session. There are some lecom horror stories on here so I would vote LUCOM. that being said, I know nothing about LUCOM!

LUCOM has a pretty bad reputation from their very religious parent institution and strict rules on campus. LECOM is cheap and has lots of residency programs. I vote LECOM.

LUCOM has a pretty bad reputation from their very religious parent institution and strict rules on campus. LECOM is cheap and has lots of residency programs. I vote LECOM.
I'm from New York City and am deciding between these two schools. I would like to remain in New York for residency and am interested in Internal medicine/Endocrinology subspecialty.

LECOM Elmira
Pros:
  • Cheaper
  • Closer to home

Cons:
  • No match rate data yet
  • Hesitant about PBL

LUCOM
Pros:
  • Faculty and administration seemed nicer based on interview. I liked the more intimate, homey feel. I lived in Virginia for a year and am technically domiciled there, although it doesn't really matter since it's a private institution.
  • Greater emphasis on student wellness
  • 99% match rate

Cons:
  • Slightly more expensive by about 10K
  • Farther from home.
  • Iffy reputation. I'm a Christian, so I'm fine with the spiritual aspect, but not sure how the institution is viewed outside of SDN.
Thank you for the responses. Also, which one has better rotations? I heard LECOM makes your arrange your own rotations? Also, LUCOM seems to have students go to Mississippi, Illinois and Texas for clinical rotations as well.