Luggage at Interview-- shooting myself in foot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverandEver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be weird/an automatic rejection if I asked the program coordinator/secretory (not the PD) whether I could bring my luggage to the interview and leave it somewhere for the day of the interview? I ask this because it would be quite expensive, not to mention out of the way, for me to take a cab back to where I will be staying. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be weird/an automatic rejection if I asked the program coordinator/secretory (not the PD) whether I could bring my luggage to the interview and leave it somewhere for the day of the interview? I ask this because it would be quite expensive, not to mention out of the way, for me to take a cab back to where I will be staying. Thanks in advance.
I don't think this would be weird at all and I've seen many people do this at interviews. In fact, I don't think you even need to bother asking--just bring your luggage and ask where you can put it.

As for an automatic rejection? Think about it, how do you think they would treat their residents if doing this would warrant a rejection? Would you really want to spend the next 3-5 years of your life at such a place? (not that it actually exists)

Nah I wouldn't worry about it. I've gone to a couple interviews where other people have arrived with luggage and the program coordinator quickly showed them to a place they could leave their stuff. Don't fret. :)

No.

Most are very accommodating concerning your travel plans. Several asked if any one had an early departure so they could remind them of the time. Not to worry.

That's pretty much the standard at interviews. They know you often have to check out of your hotel before the interview and may need to scram as soon as the interview is over to catch a plane and, unless the hotel's across the street, you won't have time to go back and get it. Most programs I interviewed at explicitly stated in a pre-interview email that there would be a place to leave your luggage at the interview.

Agree with above. Not only was I able to leave my luggage at the interview site, I was able to change out of my suit there pre-flight as well. Bring your belongings with you; don't even ask. It's expected.

Yeah, I don't think it would seem strange or cause them to reject you. Programs know that you have a lot of traveling to do. At one place I interviewed at, the program coordinator even went as far as giving one of the other applicators a ride back to the airport (though I wouldn't COUNT on them being that accomodating everywhere).