• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

H2OPOLODENT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Kind of a random topic, but I'm writing an article on Lunch and Learns and I'm trying to find what schools have and use them for fundraisers. Here at UCLA, we're basically not allowed to host vendors for lunch and learns because they're supposedly a conflict of interest/a way for companies to buy us as an audience which is really a shame considering they are a great way for clubs and other school organizations to raise money. I'm told its a University of California policy so perhaps this ban also applies to other public schools.

Anway, it would really help me out a lot if anyone can tell me their experiences at their schools using lunch and learns, what they're used for, how much money they've been able to bring in, etc.

I appreciate the help!

(In case different schools use different terminology, basically lunch and learns are events when a club brings in a dental vendor or other group to speak to a lecture hall full of students in exchange for that company making a donation to that club or school)

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Our school has lunch and learns but doesn't use them as fundraisers. ASDA usually hosts the lunch and learns. Occasionally a lunch and learn will be held by a company that has equipment that was just purchased by the school that usually details how the equipment could be used. Maybe they gave us a discount.

lotexigeus

Master Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Our school has lunch and learns but doesn't use them as fundraisers. ASDA usually hosts the lunch and learns. Occasionally a lunch and learn will be held by a company that has equipment that was just purchased by the school that usually details how the equipment could be used. Maybe they gave us a discount.

yeah that

Lunch and learns are a pleasant surprise. Gotta love free food.

About the Ads

Katalyst

10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
New Orleans
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
At LSU, same as UoP. I don't know of them as fundraisers, but they always tempt us with free food to sit and listen to what they have to say.

Turnerjo13

Ski Bum
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2006
N45˚ 29.795’ W122˚ 41.521’ elev:659ft
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
We had ADAPAC and DOPAC(ADA political action committee and Dentist of Oregon Political Action committee) this week. I don't think there is any money involved or any fund raising. We have companies come in as well as guest lectures. Free food is always nice.

H2OPOLODENT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Thanks for all the helpful answers! It sounds like a lot of people have lunch and learns without much trouble. I'm wondering if anyone has any restrictions on their vendor relations like we do at the UCs where we can only have "in-service training" meaning we can only host vendors to tell us about products we already use or own... Apparantly it comes from "conflict of interest" concerns meaning the university is concerned companies will buy influence over us and whatnot.

Do any other schools have strict policies like this? Especially public schools (I would assume would be more likely)? If anyone knows any more about their schools vendors relations policies or any weird restrictions they have at their school let me know! Thanks.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
We must go to the same school. The L & L topics have been pretty good this semester. I love free pizza Wednesdays!

Not if you're getting a DMD (judging by your alias).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.