lung cancers assoc w/smoking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EazyE1907

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in the right margin, First aid says all lung cancer types except bronchial carcinoid are assoc w/smokoing

but then right underneath for adenocarcinoma it says "Most common lung cancer in nonsmokers and overall"

is this an error?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't look like contradictory information.

Most common lung cancers:
- Male smoker: squamous cell carcinoma
- Female smoker: adenocarcinoma
- Nonsmoker: adenocarcinoma
- Overall: adenocarcinoma

I have two lung cancers down for having no association with smoking: bronchial carcinoid and bronchioalveolar (AKA adenocarcinoma in situ).

right but that info is from pathoma i suppose? . it doesn't say female smokers for adenocarcinoma in FA just says nonsmokers and overall. nah mean? either way, don't think it's enough to throw anyone off on qbank q's, but just wanted to clear the confusion cuz FA does this throughout the book sometimes. i also got a uwolrd question presenting a female nonsmoking pt with said ax's and it was adenocarcinoma.
I also checked papi goljian for insight and didn't mention anything on adenoca in female smokers. but thanks for the reply. good luck with the studies

I know its probably reiterating already stated info but I try to think of it as
- if its a smoker --> chances are its squamous unless the stem states something about it being peripherally located or mucinous
- if its a lady w/no smoker--> go adeno

and if its like a pop health ish question with no defining characteristics in stem that could sway you--> go adeno

Most of the time the answer choices provided will shape the "best correct" answer and give a hint as to what they are trying to get from you.... Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Smoking can lead to any of the pulmonary tumors besides bronchial carcinoid.
But if a pt. who doesn't smoke has a primary lung cancer, it is most likely an adenocarcinoma.

thought this was a nasty one. got it wrong. let's see what you guys think.

62 yr old female presents to your office with cough and dyspnea. expectorates copies amounts of pale tan colored sputum. CXR reveals pulmonary infiltrates that is subsequently biopsied. his to exam reveals columnar mucin secreting cells that fill the alveolar spaces without invading the stroma or vessels. this pts condition is best characterized by.

interstial pneumonia
pneumoconiosis
hsn pneumonitis
pul infraction
benign neoplasm
malignant neoplasm

I'm thinking malignant neoplasm
- i took out pneumonia/pneumoconiosis/hsn pneumonitis/pulm infarct--> stem doesn't seem to lead me that way
- benign neoplasm: hamartoma(looks like lung tissue)--> not it bc its mucinous??

yup malignant neoplasm it is. its a bronchioloalveloar carcinoma. subtype of adenocarcinoma. i effin picked benign neoplasm but wasn't thinking clearly. makes sense why it's malignant neoplasm. stupid mistake by me. although 27% picked benign and 25% picked malignant.