Lupus patient advice re-fatigue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmguy

Ex-DC CNIM CDM
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have systemic lupus erythematosis and chronic fatigue syndrome. I once attended a Lupus support group where a patient who suspected she had lupus was asking for advice. She was entering undergrad. Statistics are that 80% of lupus patients have severe fatigue. This person wanted to go to medical school. I was concerned that until she knew whether fatigue would be prohibitive and recommended she take a wait and see approach to see how she did with it. Other people in the group were all over this for not being supportive enough. It came out that she was a bright student and didn't think much about losing the time and money since she had full a scholarship. Was I reasonable? I'd rather see her have an excellent part time career in a nonstrenuous field than wash out in med school.

Members don't see this ad.

You were spot on in the concerns we have for people with chronic illnesses. There are certain technical standards that med students and doctors have to fulfill. The bolded doesn't surprise me...there are a lot of ignorant rah-rah Pollyannas out there.

Being supportive is good, but one has to be realistic as well.

I have systemic lupus erythematosis and chronic fatigue syndrome. I once attended a Lupus support group where a patient who suspected she had lupus was asking for advice. She was entering undergrad. Statistics are that 80% of lupus patients have severe fatigue. This person wanted to go to medical school. I was concerned that until she knew whether fatigue would be prohibitive and recommended she take a wait and see approach to see how she did with it. Other people in the group were all over this for not being supportive enough. It came out that she was a bright student and didn't think much about losing the time and money since she had full a scholarship. Was I reasonable? I'd rather see her have an excellent part time career in a nonstrenuous field than wash out in med school.

Reactions: 1 user