Lurkers, don't be shy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like Ckd816 said on the B-day poll, there are soooo many lurkers out there! Don't be shy and make a first post, it's getting a tad bit slow here lately with it being between application cycles. Especially for those applying this next cycle, introduce yourselves! I swear people will be waaaaaaay nicer about swapping personal statements (and/or successful applicants sending you theirs to peek at) and such if you're a regular poster.

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

(don't be the person who posts twice... once in the "Interview offer thread" and once in the "accepted students thread"... that's kind of annoying)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, Lurkers, no lurking!

264gz1u.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
i hate when people make their first post as "interview" or "accepted" arggg honestly, i dont care if you got into a school. i think most of us on SDN look there to see if FRIENDS got into a school :D we really do care about each other so like minnerbelle said, dont be shy and make some posts!!! :love:

Well since you put it that way, I guess I should introduce myself. :p I joined a couple weeks ago when I finally decided to pursue becoming a veterinarian after working for a large animal vet. I'm 23 and currently a sophomore studying biology. I'll be applying next year, though I'm not sure if I would be competitive enough since so far I only have about 300 vet experience hours and no animal experience (other than owning pets which doesn't count). But I have some things lined up for the summer, including rehabilitating harbor seals and turtles, that I'm excited about. :D

Well since you put it that way, I guess I should introduce myself. :p I joined a couple weeks ago when I finally decided to pursue becoming a veterinarian after working for a large animal vet. I'm 23 and currently a sophomore studying biology. I'll be applying next year, though I'm not sure if I would be competitive enough since so far I only have about 300 vet experience hours and no animal experience (other than owning pets which doesn't count). But I have some things lined up for the summer, including rehabilitating harbor seals and turtles, that I'm excited about. :D

:welcome:

300 hrs is a great start!!! it took me forever to rack up 300 hrs at the clinic i interned at because i had to do it on weekends when I wasn't working at my regular job. Your summer work looks really fun! Honestly, since the cycle is pretty random each year, if you have a good GPA I could see you being accepted with just this experience. They love people with LA experience because not many people have it. The wildlife life is also a plus. IMO LA and wildlife both trump normal SA experience (just because fewer people have it, not because the field is literally better :p) Of course, you still need good eLORs and PS so just make sure you become close with the people you are working with :D

Hey great to have you with us! I agree with BlacKat --- LA and wildlife are definitely experiences that are unique --- they'll help you stand out in a pool of applicants that all have the general SA experience.

Once you get started in your wildlife work, I'd love to hear about it! I spent a summer up in Canada doing wildlife rehab --- INTENSE work, but so so rewarding :) So, keep us updated on that! And welcome! :)

Like Ckd816 said on the B-day poll, there are soooo many lurkers out there! Don't be shy and make a first post, it's getting a tad bit slow here lately with it being between application cycles. QUOTE]

I agree, It is too slow around here lately. I'm sick of going on the pre-allo forum but their threads are pretty dang funny

there's 34 guests, and we can only get 1 to come out??? lol

Well, since there's a thread designed especially for lurkers like me... :)
I'm 22, a senior in college, and I've been semi-addicted to checking on this forum throughout this past application cycle. I just wanted to say that you all have been very helpful! It helped to see that I wasn't alone in my procrastination while working on my application. Also, many of the questions asked/answered were ones that I was also curious about- like when we were going to hear from schools, how to prep for interviews, etc. So thanks! Hopefully now that I've made my first post I won't be so long in posting again.

I have been lurking for ever but never registered until today.

I am 25, a sophomore. Yes, I know I'm old. I am a biochem major. I got off to a really rough start, and finally I am trying to pull it together and salvage my GPA as much as I can. I am in the process of trying to get some animal experience, and I have quite a few options I am looking at - there are so many neat experiences here in San Diego! Currently I am thinking of volunteering with the Baja Animal Sanctuary in Rosarito Mexico, http://www.bajaanimalsanctuary.org/, Project Wildlife, http://www.projectwildlife.org/, and a lot of other things. Since my gpa sucks I am trying to make myself stand apart with experience, research and GRE scores.

I am pretty sure it will be a futile attempt, but I am going try anyways.

Thanks for inviting us out of our caves with this thread!:rolleyes:

welcome Marie and lolis!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for joining marie and lolis!!

lolis- these sound like great experiences! it's good you are trying to broaden your experience to make up for the low GPA, i hope it works out! :D

I am 25, a sophomore. Yes, I know I'm old. I am a biochem major. I got off to a really rough start, and finally I am trying to pull it together and salvage my GPA as much as I can. I am in the process of trying to get some animal experience, and I have quite a few options I am looking at - there are so many neat experiences here in San Diego! Currently I am thinking of volunteering with the Baja Animal Sanctuary in Rosarito Mexico, http://www.bajaanimalsanctuary.org/, Project Wildlife, http://www.projectwildlife.org/, and a lot of other things. Since my gpa sucks I am trying to make myself stand apart with experience, research and GRE scores.

Welcome Lolis! I'm a Project Wildlife volunteer myself!

Hey everyone! I have been lurking around for a while but I have made a few posts. :) I am the one who was asking about allergies a while ago, if anyone remembers that. I am allergic to cats but I want to keep working through them and try to become a vet. I am a sophomore and I have been reading a lot of posts here, learning what I didn't know about the process already. I have especially been reading about people's experiences. I am really excited for working as an assistant finally this summer. I already have 100 shadow hours from last year but I have not been able to actually learn to do anything yet, which is why I am so excited for this summer. Thanks for letting me actually introduce myself!!

I've made a few threads, but I never introduced myself.
I'm a first year sophmore studying animal science. I plan on applying to Michigan State's CVM this fall through a program that would allow me to finish my B.S. and start vet school in the fall of '12. I'm also applying to VMRCVM, my in-state, as a back up plan.
Oh, and, I love SDN.:love:

:welcome: It's always nice to meet new e-friends. You'll understand in a few months what a huge support structure SDN becomes- might as well jump in now!

But I have some things lined up for the summer, including rehabilitating harbor seals and turtles, that I'm excited about. :D

Harbor seals and turtles? I'm curious. Where are you? I did rehab work in the NW on lots of wildlife, including those guys.

I've been semi-addicted to checking on this forum throughout this past application cycle.

Oh you know you have an addiction when you're obsessively checking SDN as a lurker. *pencils intervention onto calendar*

I am 25, a sophomore. Yes, I know I'm old. I am a biochem major. I got off to a really rough start, and finally I am trying to pull it together and salvage my GPA as much as I can.

a) 25 isn't old. That implys that a large portion of SDNers are archaic and thats just not nice ;)

b) I completely understand getting off to a rough start. Persistence has become my middle name. Don't give up. If you know this is where you belong, you can make your own path.

c) This year was my futile attempt too and now I start vet school in August. I was (still am) shocked to get in but it happened. Don't count yourself out before the game even starts!

Hello and welcome to all of the new lurkers who are posting. Keep on posting this place is a great resource and nobody here bites...well at least they can't get to you if they do bite. ;)

:hello: and :welcome:

and nobody here bites...

Hmm, not so sure about that. After lurking for a few weeks I finally posted to complain about how hard it was to get through to UCD to schedule an interview. Nyanko put me in my place right away...

I could have sworn my computer reached out and bit my neck off...

So happy I came back for more!

ooo im so excited to have so many more people!! :D just keep your ID and password auto logged in all the time and then you will be able to easily post whenever you want ;) i say after 20 posts you will become addicted. especially once july-aug-sept hit and everyone posts about the app process!!!! by this time u will be sucked into the black hole :laugh:, especially because you want to know when people get interview invites!!! and then acceptances!! good luck to everyone who is going to apply this year! and if you're not applying for a couple yrs, this head start will really help you!

Welcome Lolis! I'm a Project Wildlife volunteer myself!

Really? What do you like best about the program, and what did you sign up to do? I am going to orientation soon. Is there any chance to get hands-on experience with the program? I was also thinking of volunteering with the California Wolf Center but that is a drive!

Hmm, not so sure about that. After lurking for a few weeks I finally posted to complain about how hard it was to get through to UCD to schedule an interview. Nyanko put me in my place right away...

So happy I came back for more!

:laugh: At least it is NOTHING like the pre-allo forum. The computer would have swallowed you whole.

a) 25 isn't old. That implys that a large portion of SDNers are archaic and thats just not nice ;)

b) I completely understand getting off to a rough start. Persistence has become my middle name. Don't give up. If you know this is where you belong, you can make your own path.

c) This year was my futile attempt too and now I start vet school in August. I was (still am) shocked to get in but it happened. Don't count yourself out before the game even starts!

Sorry. I am just p****** that I didn't get my s**** together sooner. :D :laugh:

Hahaha glad to inspire this thread!! Good idea, Minnerbelle ;)

It's nice to "meet" you guys! I'm so glad you're all coming around! I need more people to commiserate with me this cycle :)

Really? What do you like best about the program, and what did you sign up to do? I am going to orientation soon. Is there any chance to get hands-on experience with the program? I was also thinking of volunteering with the California Wolf Center but that is a drive!

I'm a Care Center volunteer. Homecare would be awesome, but I rent, and often am away from home all day, so I can't have animals there. You won't get any VET experience from PW, but its' pretty much all hands-on animal experience from day 1 (well, not the orientation). Mostly just small songbirds to start, but you can finish different training packets to advance into more exciting animals. Or, if you're like me, you're too busy volunteering to work much on your packet, and you turn it in 2 years later, but your managers know you well enough that they've trained you to handle other animals already. :D It's fun, I love it there. Once you get started, let me know when your shift is, maybe we'll overlap.

I have a friend that volunteers at the wolf center. She complains about the drive all the time, though I do think she likes it. She didn't apply this year and I'm not sure exactly what she does there, but it sure sounds like a cool experience.

Check out the thread on the VIDA experience if you are looking for great vet experience over the summer.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=711713
Past participants say you can actually *perform* sergeries! That would definitely set you apart. (I think the experience would make a great personal statement too.) They are looking for people to join their trip this summer. I would go if I didn't have to save every penny this summer.
My advice is to apply this round if you can get everything together in time. I was all set to go to Ross in the Carribean because I thought I would not get into a US school. (I was getting really excited about Ross. I am really glad that it exists as an option) But to my surprise I got into several US schools! Lesson learned was - Don't discount yourself! If you don't get in, you will learn about the process and be better prepared for next year. You will also have the opportunity to have an Admissions Committtee (AdCom) review your file and tell you where you should focus your efforts for the next round.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! :)

Harbor seals and turtles? I'm curious. Where are you? I did rehab work in the NW on lots of wildlife, including those guys.

Cool! I myself can't wait to start. I had my orientation last week and found out they already have a harbor seal pup, 3 weeks earlier then normal. Weather is so weird these days. :( Oh and I live in the northeast.

So happy people are coming out of the woodwork! :love:

I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks now. But have been too hesitant to post anything. I actually already applied for the 2014 cycle and have been waitlisted at Ohio. I wish I found this place sooner. Everyone seems so helpful and nice, it would have the application process a lot smoother.

Always the welcome wagon. :cool:

I'm a lurker and not. Haha. I have posted a few times before, but I figure I'll jump in just because I rarely post.

I'm a soon to be sophomore at Drew Uni in New Jersey! Only one more week to go and then finals... =/ I'm a Biology and Spanish double major. Taking Organic Chem and Molecular bio next semester... :eek:

I'm actually interviewing for an internship next week at a Wildlife Refuge. If I get the internship, I will be spending 3 months during the summer working hands on with critters such as black bear cubs, raccoons, squirrels, foxes, and so on. Super excited!

If the internship doesn't go through, I'll be trying to get a vet assistant position (hopefully full time over the summer).

Things are happening! :p Oh, and does checking SDN daily count as an addiction? I think so... :laugh:

I'm a lurker and not. Haha. I have posted a few times before, but I figure I'll jump in just because I rarely post.

I'm a soon to be sophomore at Drew Uni in New Jersey! Only one more week to go and then finals... =/ I'm a Biology and Spanish double major. Taking Organic Chem and Molecular bio next semester... :eek:

I'm actually interviewing for an internship next week at a Wildlife Refuge. If I get the internship, I will be spending 3 months during the summer working hands on with critters such as black bear cubs, raccoons, squirrels, foxes, and so on. Super excited!

If the internship doesn't go through, I'll be trying to get a vet assistant position (hopefully full time over the summer).

Things are happening! :p Oh, and does checking SDN daily count as an addiction? I think so... :laugh:

Will you have Dr. Miyamoto for Molecular Bio?! He was my research advisor :thumbup:

PS. Congrats and welcome to everyone building up the courage to come outta hiding! I was also feeling like it was a little boring around here lately...not because I don't love all the regulars, cause I do, but there was just so much excitement with the application/interview/acceptance process and now that thats over there's a bit of a lull. So welcome! So happy to have new people to help for the next cycle :)

Last edited:
I am 25, a sophomore. Yes, I know I'm old.

watch it!!! don't make your first post be one that offends those of us that are your age or older, and convinced we aren't old ;)

that aside, welcome! :D

Hi all you lurkers, glad you could join the rest of us! LOL! Yes please post I'm going insane how slow our board has been lately. BlackKAt is right, a couple posts and your sucked into the black hole that is SDN. but it's so much fun! Anyhow welcome and don't be shy!

Well I'm a lurker/ newbie SNDer (a few posts!).
I LOVE this site! I've only been a member for a few months and I've already become addicted - checking SND for updates seems to be my new favourite pass time. I find this site to be very useful/helpful. Thanks everyone!

I've never applied to vet school yet and I wont be applying until the 2016 cycle (two years from now). I'm 23 now, but my first few years of university I got REALLY bad marks, so now I'm just working to up my GPA a bit before I apply!

I do have alot of variety/hours in my animal/vet experience, which I'm hoping will work in my favour. SA (emergency/daytime/holistic), LA (rural mixed practice), Production Animals, Research (Large animals), Wildlife (Zoo/Africa/rehab). When you apply to vet school do you have to say what you want to major in (ie: SA vs LA)? - Can you say EVERYTHING?! haha, I'm having a hard time picking a field, I LOVE them all.

From what I've read on this thread so far there is a few of you that like wildlife?? ME TOO. I spent 3 months in South Africa this past summer working with a wildlife vet/rehab centre, it was A-MAZ-ING! PM me if you want info! Since then I've developed this love for travel and can't wait till next summer so I can travel again!

WannaBeVet: Congrats! Where is the wildlife refugee you will be interning at?

When you apply to vet school do you have to say what you want to major in (ie: SA vs LA)? - Can you say EVERYTHING?! haha, I'm having a hard time picking a field, I LOVE them all.

some schools don't track therefore you don't have to decide, so look into the school(s) you're applying to, to see what their curriculum is. in my interviews i was asked what area i am interested in. i'm LA/Equine but said i'd be open to new opportunities and changing my mind. :D

welcome to the forum! if you think you're obsessed now...wait til your application cycle! i would get more excited to check the updates for friends i made on here to see where they were interviewing, accepted, and attending! it's fun.

Will you have Dr. Miyamoto for Molecular Bio?! He was my research advisor :thumbup:

PS. Congrats and welcome to everyone building up the courage to come outta hiding! I was also feeling like it was a little boring around here lately...not because I don't love all the regulars, cause I do, but there was just so much excitement with the application/interview/acceptance process and now that thats over there's a bit of a lull. So welcome! So happy to have new people to help for the next cycle :)

Gahh! How do you know Miyamoto? I have him right now actually for Animal Diversity. That man is a beast when it comes to dissections...

I've posted before, but I still feel like a noob. Haha. :) And yea...SDN does seem a little quiet now that all the hub hub about acceptances are kinda over. Well I have about 2 more years before I apply soo you will definetely see more of me around here... :D

You don't have to declare when you apply, even at schools that do track - UMN tracks, but I don't think we have to pick until a little ways in (they told us at the interview weekend info session, but I can't remember now) because the basic classes in 1st year aren't supposed to leave a lot of variability.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! :)

Cool! I myself can't wait to start. I had my orientation last week and found out they already have a harbor seal pup, 3 weeks earlier then normal. Weather is so weird these days. :( Oh and I live in the northeast.

Woohoo, Northeast represent!
I'm going to take three guess..... Riverhead? Boston Aquarium? Or The Shoals?

Okay, four guesses.... Mystic?

WannaBeVet: Congrats! Where is the wildlife refugee you will be interning at?

Well I am hoping I get the position:xf:...but it's Woodlands Wildlife Refuge in Clinton, NJ.

(I might get to observe some wildlife surgeries also at a nearby clinic if I get the internship...)

I am soo hoping I get this opportunity!

Woohoo, Northeast represent!
I'm going to take three guess..... Riverhead? Boston Aquarium? Or The Shoals?

Okay, four guesses.... Mystic?

It's actually at UNE's MARC (Marine Science Rehabilitation Center). I like how none of your guesses were that far north. :p

I'm not technically new, but I never really introduced myself and I lurk much more often than I post...
I'm 24, this was my first year applying. I was an English major as an undergrad, and am just finishing my second year of a post bacc pre med program to get my pre reqs finished. I'm finishing O.Chem and Genetics this semester, and that will be the end the basics for some schools, but there are some other classes I'll take this summer and possibly fall to make me eligible to more schools. Most of my experience has been with small animals, which I think is what I want to do, unless I jump to the opposite end of the spectrum and do wildlife conservation.
I only discovered this site in February, and I wish I had known about it while applying! Everyone is always so wonderful, helpful, and supportive! I have found it very difficult to get information from advisors about being pre-vet, so I think this is a wonderful resource for information.

CONGRATS to everyone who is going to be C/O 2014!!!

Never mind, wrong thread....

Last edited:

Hi. I used to volunteer at Project Wildlife in the care center. I would recommend looking at volunteering at the San Diego Humane Society, Helen Woodward Animal Society, Escondido Humane Society, or Rancho Coastal Humane Society, or even the country shelters as well for animal experience. Helen Woodward also has oppertunites to volunteer with animals besides companion animals in some of their other department. If the Wolf Center is too far for you, I would recommend looking into volunteering at Lions, Tigers, and Bears, its a big cat sanctuary in Alpine.

I'll admit I've been lurking for some time. I'm graduating in June with a biochem degree. I applied this last cycle and got wait listed to three schools. Pretty bummed about it. And I had my hopes still up for Kansas, but watching all the threads has been good because now gives me realistic expectations. Sooo I'll probably be applying next year, but I'm still not sure what my plans are. Reading everyone else's posts has been really helpful, but I was a bit intimidated to have "1 post" next to my name!

WannaBeVet: Long Valley's not that far from me. Welcome fellow Jersian! If you need some horsey places to look for work I know of a bunch in the area. Good luck with your interview!

Goldielocks: Don't be shy, most of us don't bite. :p

I'm guilty of lurking the past few weeks... got super busy with school/work/life and now just winding down a bit before finals. Then back to work. and DONE.

Well, I suppose I should formally introduce myself to all you SDN folks! I graduated from university last March and discovered I wanted to be a vet a month after graduation. Since then, I have been frantically trying to gain as much experience as I can. I started at a SA clinic where I got to do alot of hands on things... but I was more interested in wildlife, so I started volunteering at Project Wildlife. I then wanted experience with the research side of veterinary medicine so I started a volunteer stint at the San Diego Zoo. I cannot express how helpful and fun that has been. I got the opportunity to attend research seminars, sit in on vet/pathology rounds, visit enclosure animals, observe vets out in the field, and much more! (I also did all this with a full time job! It was definitely hard, but worth it!) However, with applications opening up, I knew I needed more clinic experience, so I started an internship at a wildlife rehabilitation center. And that's where I am right now! Interning and stressing out about applying!

Also, is anyone out there interested in a combined DVM/MPH program? I would love to get my DVM/MPH and International Veterinary Medicine Certificate from Tufts! Is anyone else interested in traveling the world and doing research on zoonotic emerging infectious diseases?

Wow, lots of San Diegans! I was planning on volunteering at the zoo if I didn't get in this year. Would've done it anyway, but they want a whole year commitment, and now I won't be here that long. Sounds like you get to do really cool stuff though!