Lurkers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJLaw

ATTORNEY AT LAW
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the lurkers whose first post is "I got in",

For weeks or months you guys have lurked on this board and not contributed to any thread. Rather, you just leach off of the information given and go about the rest of your day. Why do you expect anybody to care when you get accepted? It's nice and a great feat that you are going to med school, but why tell us? You haven't cared enough about any us enough to post answers to questions or just chime in with opinion--so why should we reciprocate? If you've noticed, when an unknown posts an "I got in" thread it gets about 5 responses, mostly from the good hearted ra-ra posters, while someone like buglady, who is a frequent poster and sweet, sweet person, gets about 60. I guess my point is, lurkers, stop lurking and contribute to the community! If you choose not to, fine--that's your right, SDN IS very entertaining-but please don't post anymore "I got in" threads, cause nobody cares.

Sorry for the rant, but this issue has been annoying me.

Members don't see this ad.

you only joined in January... are you allowed to start such a thread or only able to contribute to it?

A "I love ruffling feathers" B

Originally posted by CJ2Doc
To all the lurkers whose first post is "I got in",

For weeks or months you guys have lurked on this board and not contributed to any thread. Rather, you just leach off of the information given and go about the rest of your day. Why do you expect anybody to care when you get accepted? It's nice and a great feat that you are going to med school, but why tell us? You haven't cared enough about any us enough to post answers to questions or just chime in with opinion--so why should we reciprocate? If you've noticed, when an unknown posts an "I got in" thread it gets about 5 responses, mostly from the good hearted ra-ra posters, while someone like buglady, who is a frequent poster and sweet, sweet person, gets about 60. I guess my point is, lurkers, stop lurking and contribute to the community! If you choose not to, fine--that's your right, SDN IS very entertaining-but please don't post anymore "I got in" threads, cause nobody cares.

Sorry for the rant, but this issue has been annoying me.

Word.

I've got my shoulder mounter flamethrower ready for the next one.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by alphabeta53
you only joined in January... are you allowed to start such a thread or only able to contribute to it?

A "I love ruffling feathers" B

Considering that I'm not applying until next cycle, I'd say contribute. Hey, I posted this after seeing your comments to med09.

btw, that would have been a good burn if I didn't have more posts than you.

Considering that I'm not applying until next cycle, I'd say contribute. Hey, I posted this after seeing your comments to med09.

You are right. I was just playing. I wish I had discovered this site before I started the application process. Maybe its a good thing I didn't. Right now, I smoke like a fiend...maybe if I found this site last year...I would have a hole in my nose with coke blowing out.

To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along"? :p

yeah I wish I had found SDN a lot earlier...

So how many posts do I have to have before I can officially attain non-lurker status?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by alphabeta53
I wish I had discovered this site before I started the application process. Maybe its a good thing I didn't. Right now, I smoke like a fiend...maybe if I found this site last year...I would have a hole in my nose with coke blowing out.

How does finding the site make things any different? I've been using the board for awhile and I have a hole in my nose with coke blowing out?:(

Am I a lurker? :(
Mommy, I dont want to be a lurker anymore!

Tedstriker- I think all that did for Rodney was add a few more good piledrives and maybe an extra rifle-butt to the head.

:confused: :confused: :confused: lurkers are cool... IMHO

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know about that....I thought SDN was rated at least PG-13...which would have put you out of the playing field......

j/k

Originally posted by Moneyless
yeah I wish I had found SDN a lot earlier...

this is a f****in lame-ass topic, yo

bottom line:

lurkers r kool and u know it

:p :p :p

Does this mean you should just post inane things for the sole purpose of increasing your numbers so you look like a worthy contributor to the forum....
(sounds kinda like the whole med school process)

Anyway, here's my first useless post! (In hopes to lose my lurking status soon!!!)

Originally posted by kandeekorne
Does this mean you should just post inane things for the sole purpose of increasing your numbers so you look like a worthy contributor to the forum....
(sounds kinda like the whole med school process)

Anyway, here's my first useless post! (In hopes to lose my lurking status soon!!!)

introducing the very sexual....the very toight.....kandeekorne

NaNaNaNa Boo Boo :rolleyes:

If you haven't realized by now that this site is a cross section of the people you will eventually go to medical school with, there may be problems for you.

There will be people who don't contribute to the board, or your group project, and there will be people who sit around a bitch about it, like you. Then there are the people who will actually get the work done while the lurkers and complainers continue to lurk and complain.

My point is: Posting a thread like this is annoying and doesn't contribute anything to the forum but hate, much worse than lurking in my humble opinion.

Having been a lurker myself until the past month, I will throw in my input.

First of all, SDN is outstanding. It has helped me to focus my goals, and the members here have given me valuable advice several times. Thank you all!

Secondly, as one who is simply begginning the medical journey, my knowledge is not such that I can contribute as much as I would like to. Thankfully this forum has two threads especially for people like me, labeled EVERYONE and THE LOUNGE. So lurkers, quit lurking and head to the lounge. I'll see you there.

Oh, and don't forget to get yourself an avatar. They are so cool and bring you one step closer to being a real SDNer :cool:

QHamp
Noticed you're a big Lance fan. I'm a bit older than most SDNers, and I've been working as a newspaperman for several years. Back in 1995-97, I covered cycling and got to know Lance and a lot of his teammates and some international stars pretty well (even back when Lance and his buddies were with Motorola, precursor to US Postal). You know him or have any connections? I haven't spoken with him since April 1997, right before he got sick.

ditto,

i hear what you're saying. for instance, i haven't even started the application process, couldn't tell you a single thing about any school, but when i have the opportunity to throw in my two cents, i do! for example, the other week somebody was asking about uci med and while i may not know **** about uci med, i did grow up in irvine. therefore, i took the time to tell the person about the city and its people. it may not be much, but it's something. just remember: sharing is caring motherf#%kers.

hmm...to keep a tab on the lurkers, maybe create a SDN list w/ all the names of infamous sdn lurkers w/ <10 posts who, for whatevcer reason, feel that should announce to the world, via their own thread, that they've gotten in?

so who's gonna start the "OFFICIAL LIST of Lurkers on SDN" Thread? :D

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
so who's gonna start the "OFFICIAL LIST of Lurkers on SDN" Thread? :D

I bet Tein, TeinII, TeinIII, TeinIV, and TeinV are lurkers and TeinVI is the first Tein to enterTAIN GET IT?!?!? TEIN? TAIN? haha
hah aaha aa a h

bed time :oops: