lying about extracurricular activites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tinman831 said:
I think he meant that out of the people who DO lie on their applications, few actually get caught. However, I have heard stories about applicants being called out during the interview about certain items that were on their applications. I read a post on SDN where someone said an applicant had written on his exam that he played the piano. The school just happened to have a piano in the lounge or something and when the interviewer asked him to play a tune, the applicant caved. :p The risk of getting caught is small, but it is still not worth the price you have to pay if you do get caught.

roffle copter thats pretty darn funny.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally Posted by tinman831
I think he meant that out of the people who DO lie on their applications, few actually get caught. However, I have heard stories about applicants being called out during the interview about certain items that were on their applications. I read a post on SDN where someone said an applicant had written on his exam that he played the piano. The school just happened to have a piano in the lounge or something and when the interviewer asked him to play a tune, the applicant caved. The risk of getting caught is small, but it is still not worth the price you have to pay if you do get caught.

Thank god I lied and said i play the didgeridoo...I'd like to see a dental school pull one of those out of the closet and ask me to play it. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
djeffreyt said:
I think he meant that out of the people who DO lie on their applications, few actually get caught. However, I have heard stories about applicants being called out during the interview about certain items that were on their applications. I read a post on SDN where someone said an applicant had written on his exam that he played the piano. The school just happened to have a piano in the lounge or something and when the interviewer asked him to play a tune, the applicant caved. The risk of getting caught is small, but it is still not worth the price you have to pay if you do get caught.

Thank god I lied and said i play the didgeridoo...I'd like to see a dental school pull one of those out of the closet and ask me to play it. :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

don't lie. if someone is willing to lie about something seemingly minute as extracurricular activities on his/her application, it will def. catch up to him/her in the future. it's not the instance. it's the principle. if you're dishonest about little things, you are most likely going to be dishonest about larger and more important things in the future.

come on people. it's not that hard to be honest.

djeffreyt said:

If you apply to Australia you might have to do that!! :laugh:

Go ahead and tell them that you're into deep sea fishing, sky diving, boxing, stained glass art, painting, playing the piano etc etc. The truth will come out so evidently when you're in an interview with a doc who is an avid one of the above. You will probably feel like quite the *******.

tinman831 said:
Did the person you know get accepted into dental schooL?

hmm... I don't know.

L8DYV said:
dont underestimate the power and of man and womankind, especially with the advent of energy drinks! hahaha

Or Adderall!

I was suspended from a university for something that I did not do. What happen is that there was a mistake made on my transcript, to be exact, 3 credit hours were not on my transcript from the previous semester. When I tried to get the situation fixed, I was given the run around. By the end of the semester, I was in panic mode because I was going to be transferring to a different university and needed to have my transcript corrected before the transfer. So, I eventually spoke to a lady in the transcript office who said she would take care of this for me. Two months later, I get a letter from the university stating that there was a discrepency on my transcript and that I was being investigated for it. I got a lawyer, but could not afford the lawyer fees throughout the entire investigation (besides, the lawyer sucked). My only choice was either to plead no contest and take the suspension, or get a loan and pay for another lawyer. So, I pleaded no contest. The suspension is not on my academic record and I because it is confidential I must give permission for any school to see these records. What should I do? Should I tell or not? Do dental schools just randomly ask students permission to see these records? It's unfair for this to hinder my acceptance to a school. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I believe if there is no record, don’t mention. All you guys are a bunch of quires, afraid of even the smallest embellishment. I mention on my application that I volunteered to work with mentally disable children when I was getting a check for it. So what, I was not volunteering. I was asked about it in the interview and the interviewer would not know the difference. I also estimated the amount of shadowing I expected to have but have not yet finished. Lock me up for that one. O, I forgot to mention the time I was pulled over wasted but never ticked for a DUI because the cop let me go. I can go on and on; but all of you self righteous fagots never lied, cut corners, looked at another girl while on a date or even masturbate; yeah, sure I believe you.

FutureFreshDDS said:
I can go on and on; but all of you self righteous fagots never lied, cut corners, looked at another girl while on a date or even masturbate; yeah, sure I believe you.

No one is perfect, but lying is still wrong no matter how you put it and no, you still should not lie on your application.

tinman831 said:
No one is perfect, but lying is still wrong no matter how you put it and no, you still should not lie on your application.

As of two years now, I have a clean criminal record. So, yes I am perfect.

FutureFreshDDS said:
As of two years now, I have a clean criminal record. So, yes I am perfect.

It's just that your previous post makes it seem like you are advocating lying on applications, in which case, no you should not lie on your application. But if you weren't then I apologize for my mistake.

FutureFreshDDS said:
I believe if there is no record, don’t mention. All you guys are a bunch of quires, afraid of even the smallest embellishment. I mention on my application that I volunteered to work with mentally disable children when I was getting a check for it. So what, I was not volunteering. I was asked about it in the interview and the interviewer would not know the difference. I also estimated the amount of shadowing I expected to have but have not yet finished. Lock me up for that one. O, I forgot to mention the time I was pulled over wasted but never ticked for a DUI because the cop let me go. I can go on and on; but all of you self righteous fagots never lied, cut corners, looked at another girl while on a date or even masturbate; yeah, sure I believe you.

Take any example to the nth degree and you can make any reasonable statement seem crazy. None of us (I didn't read everyone's responses but I'm assuming here) was telling the person who originally started this long drawn out thread to start confessing like they were sitting down with their priest. And no one said to start confessing to crimes that don't appear on any records anywhere in existence. Not even the most idiotic dumb**** on SDN would tell a person to confess to driving drunk when they had never gotten a DUI. And no one in this thread said anything of the sort. I wrote into my AADSAS about the stuff I knew was still on my record, not the crap that had been wiped clean out of existence, and I'll continue to tell people to do the same despite you calling me a self-righteous quire and a fagot for not wanting something to come bite me in the ass. That's ironic I suppose, I don't want something coming at my ass, and for that you call me a fagot.

And I really don't have a problem with embellishment if that's what you're doing. Saying volunteering instead of paid...yeah, that's just embellishment. Saying you did 100 hours of volunteering instead of 80, that's embellishment. But if you say you did 500 hours of volunteering when you only did 5, or saying you play the piano when you learned Chopsticks when you were 6...those are lies. Despite your logic that since we've all lied in the past, that lying for the rest of our lives is okay...it's not really. Lying when it doesn't hurt anyone is fine, but telling a big lie to get the edge in something as competitive as dental school admissions does asss out other students. I mean, yeah, I've driven drunk before, does that mean it's okay for me to continue driving drunk whenever I want without worrying about the consequences. I got pissed one time and kneed my buddy in the head...cracked his skull, but know he's fine...since I did it before, is it fine that I do it again?

See...sounds stupid when you take it to the nth degree

I'm gonna be a sophmore in college this year. I don't know if I should start shadowing dentists, doing a bunch of activities, or mainly concentrating on school work. Do extracurriculum count a lot to dental schools? I'm new to this site, and I see a lot of posts regarding GPA and DAT scores but not on extracurricular activities. Thx

I'd love to say liars will be caught, etc, etc, etc.

I personally am not one to lie, I just can't. But, I know people who do lie (funny they're gonna be doctors, eh) and get accepted. They also tell me "just do it man...if you don't think everyone else is, you're kiddin' yourself" (when that's beside the point for me, its about me, not what everyone else does.)

But, if you've got the balls to lie, I would recommend it, but I honestly couldn't say it will hurt you if they can't check up on it.

siba said:
I'm gonna be a sophmore in college this year. I don't know if I should start shadowing dentists, doing a bunch of activities, or mainly concentrating on school work. Do extracurriculum count a lot to dental schools? I'm new to this site, and I see a lot of posts regarding GPA and DAT scores but not on extracurricular activities. Thx

I think extracurricular activities are assumed here on the message board. There are so many different things people can do, it'd be pointless to list them all or mention them here. Yes, extracurricular activities are pretty important in the admissions process. :luck: