Lying about minority - you're gonna hate me, but i prefer a realistic response

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnightDesi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I expect a ton of people to bash me, but several person to legitimately provide me with the pros/cons of both sides without hitting on the moral issue of what I am about to say.

First off, my stats are great: top 20ugrad, publication, 3.98 gpa, clinical service, leadership, shadowing...its down to the MCAT. Now, I am killing myself for the MCAT and hope to do really well, but my ultimate goal is to try to exploit as many possibilities and avenues possible to guarantee and give me every advantage to get into a top 5 med school- this may even involve a simple lie of my ethnicity. I want to improve the guarantee as much as possible and it may even involve taking this risk. As an individual, I am a pretty charismatic guy, get along with anyone, can do well in the interviews, but I am not going to lie- if I can get away with something for my benefit- I would do so. Call the act shameful, immoral, unethical, unworthy of any medical school acceptance, etc....I am not looking for criticism of the act, rather, what the WORST possible scenarios can be and how can med schools catch me.

My act: Well I am a desi and a pretty dark indian. 100% indian. Sure, my friends joke around that I look black, etc... My other friends, perhaps my smart, close comrades- who graduated from the Ivies and working at top positions in their fields of law, business and medicine- suggested the idea about saying I was African-American on my application. At first, I was shocked but then I genuinely realized that my appearance justifies the checkbox of African/American I put down on my apps. My involvement in the African Student Association at my college also justifies it. I am not sure how colleges justify it though.

My evidence: take a look at this half-indian/half black future dermatologist from Harvard. http://youtube.com/watch?v=elGXg76gebQ
True she is half black, but by judging her Indian name (Singh) and her background, I would look at her and think to myself, shes gotta be Indian at first sight. Although I lack the genes, I look black that I am not sure if it would be questionable if I put it down compared to a blonde Caucasian individual who put it down on her application- an easy catch.

My ultimate questions: If I did play this facade on my application, interview, etc...what would happen? What documents (passport, birth certificate), or genealogy tests would these med schools run to ensure themselves that they are indeed evaluating a black individual? Do they even take these extensive measures to say that someone has submitted a "fraudulent application" ? Would my credentials help me in the sense that med schools would think that a good candidate would be Foolish to lie about ethnicity (that is, its one thing if a 3.4 32 MCAT guy was seeking a hook to get in), but in my circumstance, med schools would not question a top caliber student's morality in lying on the applications.

Thus, I am only CURIOUS as to what measures med schools take, and am not interested in the criticism of this act in itself.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be foolish to lie about your ethnicity with such a solid application. Med schools examine URM status differently for various reasons, and you really shouldn't exploit this and it's not worth risking everything for. Think about it this way ... if you are this cut-throat to lie about ethnicity, what's not to say someone else who is just as cut-throat wouldn't report you the first chance they got for the same reasons you seek to exploit the system. Just one example of how it's really not worth it, unethical, unprofessional, and will end up doing more mental stress and harm than good in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh... it's sad to think that someone like you is going to actually be someone's doctor some day.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they'd catch you.

Looking down from my the application process to the years during and after med school, what accusations, evaluations, would ever arise?

if im not mistaken, arent there usually clauses that indicate if they ever found out you lied on your application certain licenses can be revoked?

Looking down from my the application process to the years during and after med school, what accusations, evaluations, would ever arise?

Why don't you grab a catalogue and look through it. Also, take a look at medical licensing stuff.

I'm not sure how much people would know about this because I don't think many people have experience with it.

Ok not everyone who applies URM gets into med school. There are REAL AA who apply URM with a 4.0 gpa and don't get in. I don't know how deep the med schools check but I do believe some make you have a separate interview. Perhaps someone who is a minority and has interviewed at some schools can answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not to mention you just told your plan to the entire world, essentially. To any adcom members that might be on here: please watch out for the black guy that kinda looks like a really dark Indian douche bag.

i hope u know ur way around the bball court

There is also no way to know if they are evaluating a "black individual". That would imply that ALL black people behaved a certain way. I would hate to think they did a telephone interview. Everyone I know say I sound like a valley girl. But OMG, that is like totally not true. I just don't, you know, sound ghetto.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wonder how med schools DO check on these things. Or IF they do.

Honest Question:

-is there really a major difference between minorities in this situation??? Why not just say Indian?

Hey Depakote, I just wanted to receive an honest assessment. I really have no intention of making a decision, I mean I am still a year away and my opinions change. It's just when I have an intellectual conversation with my friends trying to justify an argument such as a controversial topic such as affirmative action, I am seeking the counterpoints or possibly even support for my own argument (not likely). So I was hoping to hear about the tangible options med schools pursue to penalize people or whether IF they even do so for people who adhere to a route that I have proposed of putting down a URM-under represented minority.

Honest Question:

-is there really a major difference between minorities in this situation??? Why not just say Indian?

Yes there is. URM stands for under represented minorities. This deals with minorities who are under represented in the medical field. Indians aren't considered under represented.

Honest Question:

Have you ever been in a hospital? Indians aren't exactly an Under Represented minority in medicine.

Honest assessment: Rarely is it just because you are a URM that you'll "get special treatment". For most, they really have struggled to attain what they've achieved. Now, that's not to say that URM's don't get a leg up; they do. But to say that the same bar is being held for URMs as ORMs just isn't true.

And of course, there are those that will game the system. You'll get the same response out of med students who wonder how X person in their class ever had the composure not to act like a dumb idiot during their interviews (and beat out those were sincere about their interview answers). I can't really speak much to that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.