Lying on the Writing Sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's not exactly lying, I was wondering what the verdict was on making statements that sound like a fact/ real example when it is really just based on a general idea you have...I doubt graders have the time, but anyone know if they check dubious examples?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

seanth said:
Maybe it's not exactly lying, I was wondering what the verdict was on making statements that sound like a fact/ real example when it is really just based on a general idea you have...I doubt graders have the time, but anyone know if they check dubious examples?

Thanks!

Just make a hypothetical situation. You don't need a factual description or anything. The readers probably aren't going to waste time to verify if what you say is true anyway. They only spend about 40 seconds per essay grading it so just make sure you have a good example and argument.

I made up my example on last year's mcat. I was completely stuck and couldn't think of a real life example so I made it up. I will probably be hit with lightening one day but... :eek:

I made up some city in a state, along with a newspaper article supporting my stance.

I suppose I squeaked through the radar because I got a Q. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend it but if you're stuck... you're stuck! :D

Exactly. If you can come up with something good that is FACTUAL, you should go with that. Otherwise, come up with something COMPLETELY BOGUS, don't half @$$ it. The more you try to incorporate truth into a lie, the more you are going to get caught.

What's that saying...

Tell ten lies and noone will know any better.
Tell nine lies and a truth and you'll be caught sooner or later.