1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Lying on the Writing Sample

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by seanth, Jul 25, 2006.

1. seanth

seanth Junior Member

Maybe it's not exactly lying, I was wondering what the verdict was on making statements that sound like a fact/ real example when it is really just based on a general idea you have...I doubt graders have the time, but anyone know if they check dubious examples?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    Just make a hypothetical situation. You don't need a factual description or anything. The readers probably aren't going to waste time to verify if what you say is true anyway. They only spend about 40 seconds per essay grading it so just make sure you have a good example and argument.

4. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus

The don't check examples I'm sure. Many statements can sound like fact doesn't mean that they are. They are more looking for organized ideas and structure rather than verifying content.

5. harrypotter

I made up my example on last year's mcat. I was completely stuck and couldn't think of a real life example so I made it up. I will probably be hit with lightening one day but... :eek:

I made up some city in a state, along with a newspaper article supporting my stance.

I suppose I squeaked through the radar because I got a Q. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend it but if you're stuck... you're stuck! :D

6. BXP

BXP Member

Pre-Medical
    Exactly. If you can come up with something good that is FACTUAL, you should go with that. Otherwise, come up with something COMPLETELY BOGUS, don't half @$$ it. The more you try to incorporate truth into a lie, the more you are going to get caught.

What's that saying...

Tell ten lies and noone will know any better.
    Tell nine lies and a truth and you'll be caught sooner or later.