• Yes, it is lymphoma

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No, it's possibly not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 20, 2016
Status
Veterinarian
My first post, I know it's a long shot and please dont get me wrong - I am not soliciting free help, just trying to gather opinions from educated people and trying to understand Lymphoma diagnosis from lymph node aspirate. Lab run a cytology on enlarged lymph nodes in 4 y/o dog and came with "Lymphoma" output. From reading tons of courses on Internet, Lymphoma generally characterized with Lymphoblasts > 50% and uniform population... I don'd see it on the in the picture... It's about at 50% and uniformness is not typical...

tiredguy

Not a New Member
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
The cells look overtly malignant (pleomorphic, prominent nucleoli, etc.) and there seem to be lymphoglandular bodies so it seems to be the correct diagnosis. I agree that the population of cells is not uniform, but your definition of lymphoma is simply not accurate. Some lymphomas are monomorphic, others are high grade and pleomorphic.

OP
V
Aug 20, 2016
Status
Veterinarian
The cells look overtly malignant (pleomorphic, prominent nucleoli, etc.) and there seem to be lymphoglandular bodies so it seems to be the correct diagnosis. I agree that the population of cells is not uniform, but your definition of lymphoma is simply not accurate. Some lymphomas are monomorphic, others are high grade and pleomorphic.
Thank you! You absolutely right, a repeat test was done and it is B-cell lymphoma. CHOP started.

Ishie1013

5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you for the follow up. I always find these interesting. The vet path made some FNA slides for me from my mom's cat's mammary carcinoma, and it's intriguing to see the correlations.

Waywoe

Still a cranky old bat
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2005
An old hay field.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My dog was diagnosed with lymphoma about 3 weeks before boards this year. Timing stunk. He's doing well with chemo at least.