Lymphoma or not (canine)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it Lymphoma?

• Yes, it is lymphoma

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No, it's possibly not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

valter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first post, I know it's a long shot and please dont get me wrong - I am not soliciting free help, just trying to gather opinions from educated people and trying to understand Lymphoma diagnosis from lymph node aspirate. Lab run a cytology on enlarged lymph nodes in 4 y/o dog and came with "Lymphoma" output. From reading tons of courses on Internet, Lymphoma generally characterized with Lymphoblasts > 50% and uniform population... I don'd see it on the in the picture... It's about at 50% and uniformness is not typical...
1471292121575.jpg.medium.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

The cells look overtly malignant (pleomorphic, prominent nucleoli, etc.) and there seem to be lymphoglandular bodies so it seems to be the correct diagnosis. I agree that the population of cells is not uniform, but your definition of lymphoma is simply not accurate. Some lymphomas are monomorphic, others are high grade and pleomorphic.

The cells look overtly malignant (pleomorphic, prominent nucleoli, etc.) and there seem to be lymphoglandular bodies so it seems to be the correct diagnosis. I agree that the population of cells is not uniform, but your definition of lymphoma is simply not accurate. Some lymphomas are monomorphic, others are high grade and pleomorphic.

Thank you! You absolutely right, a repeat test was done and it is B-cell lymphoma. CHOP started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the follow up. I always find these interesting. The vet path made some FNA slides for me from my mom's cat's mammary carcinoma, and it's intriguing to see the correlations.

My dog was diagnosed with lymphoma about 3 weeks before boards this year. Timing stunk. He's doing well with chemo at least.