lytic lesions in multiple myeloma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wAyRadikull

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which cytokines are responsible for the activation of osteolclast-activating facor resulting in "punched out" lytic bone lesions in multiple myeloma?

IL-1 (class notes) or MIP1a/RANKL (Robbins)??

Are the same cytokines also implicated in Adult-T cell Leukemia as they also have bone lesions due to activation of osteoclast activating factor??

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
they're both correct. IL-1 and TNF stimulate increased RANK-RANKL interaction while inhibiting OPG (which normally blocks this interaction.) these cytokines will then indirectly increase osteoclastic activity --> lytic bone lesions in MM

Thanks a lot man.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this info? I looked it up on the internet and robbins and came up empty handed, perhaps I just glazed over it. I would like to read up on all these molecular aspects in a bit more detail.

Thanks once again.

no, prob...if you look in chapter 12 of Robbin's Path in the gray box for Multiple Myeloma they talk about it. Also, if you go to the Musculosketal chapter and look at the osteoporosis section it talks about how hypoestrogen states cause increased IL-1, TNF which enhance/facilitate macrophage to osteoclast activity (via the RANK/L system).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, found it under the osteoporosis section. Thanks a lot fellas :thumbup:

In all honesty , I didnt know about OPG , and the aforementioned interaction RANK-RANKL osteoblast /osteoclast precursor.

I found more about OPG here for the ones who may need to know more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoprotegerin

Thanks you very much for creating this thread :)

You will never see RANK L and IL-1 as part of the answer choices in the SAME question. USMLE STEP 1 might be hard, but not unfair.

This also applies to the VSD,ASD question on Down Syndrome.

they're both correct. IL-1 and TNF stimulate increased RANK-RANKL interaction while inhibiting OPG (which normally blocks this interaction.) these cytokines will then indirectly increase osteoclastic activity --> lytic bone lesions in MM

I forsee someone with a future in translational research...