M.A in Counseling apply for a PsyD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

~Rana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

1) Can a counseling masters holder apply for a PsyD in Clinical Psychology? Will I have to start the five years from the beginning?

2) If so, is my only option for a doctoral degree a PhD in counseling and/or Applied Behavior Analysis? Is it really worth the extra years/expense in terms of income later on or better job opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course... anyone can apply for a Psy.D. If you're asking if your MA will help you gain admission into a Psy.D. program... probably not. You'll probably be on equal footing with the other applicants (though you may have better experiences to discuss in interviews). On that note, you will almost certainly have to start the program from the beginning. You may have one or two courses waived depending on the program, but I would still expect to spend 5-6 years (at a minimum) pursuing a doctoral degree.

I think the same can be said for a Ph.D. Whether or not it's worth it depends on your personal resolve and what your end goal is... if you only see yourself conducting therapy, in my opinion, no, it's not worth it. If you really want to teach, conduct research, or do assessments, it may be.

1) Sure you can apply, although applied masters degrees typically don't tend to make folks more competitive for clinical psych programs in and of themselves; relatedly, you likely will need to start from the beginning, yes. You might have a couple classes transfer, and if you completed an experimental thesis that might also transfer, but it generally won't save you any time.

2) "Only option" with respect to what? I've never actually heard of a doctorate in ABA; I've certainly heard of certification at the doctoral level, but I believe that requires you to have a clinical, counseling, or school psych Ph.D. Whether or not it's worth the extra years/expense depends on a number of variables, including what it is you want to do exactly. If you want to focus entirely on clinical service delivery, then no, it may not be worth the extra time. However, the advantage to doctoral programs is that they often offer funding and can thus end up actually being cheaper than masters degrees. Thus, if you can get the PhD with little-to-no debt, then yes, it could certainly end up being worthwhile.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Only option" with respect to what? I've never actually heard of a doctorate in ABA; I've certainly heard of certification at the doctoral level, but I believe that requires you to have a clinical, counseling, or school psych Ph.D.

Nope. I have a doctoral-level aba in my facility. His doctorate is in BA from Florida State.

His is treated as less than compared to myself and the other clinical director...both clinical phds. Its sad cause he really, really good.

Hi everyone,

1) Can a counseling masters holder apply for a PsyD in Clinical Psychology? Will I have to start the five years from the beginning?

2) If so, is my only option for a doctoral degree a PhD in counseling and/or Applied Behavior Analysis? Is it really worth the extra years/expense in terms of income later on or better job opportunities?

1) Yes, you can apply to PsyD programs in Clinical Psychology. In some of the free-standing professional psychology programs, I know that your MA degree can knock off an entire academic year for you.

2) No, your only option is not a PhD in counseling or ABA. You have options like most people would with or without the MA degree. Whether or not it's worth it, as someone else said, depends on your ultimate career goals. Sometimes, the pay difference is not as much as one would hope, but the educational attainment and professional affiliations that become available to you with a doctorate can be a 'currency' of sorts that makes students feel the journey was worth it.

Nope. I have a doctoral-level aba in my facility. His doctorate is in BA from Florida State.

His is treated as less than compared to myself and the other clinical director...both clinical phds. Its sad cause he really, really good.

Ahh, gotchya; learn something new everyday. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you all for your informative replies. I appreciate the time you've taken to reply! I understand all your points and will definitely start thinking about them in depth.

Hello,

I thought I would point out something that I find peculiar. It appears that Rana is posting similar questions on the Master's site. She has been a member for FIVE years and does not understand the differences in licenses, training, or an LPC from a LCPC? Please note that I am not stating that people who are learning about the profession have no business bothering those with more experience. That is the purpose of the forum.

On the Master's site, she is asking a great many elementary questions about the field and also how to complete a master's program in two years in Chicago and then get licensed in another state as she goes on for a Psy.D. Apparently, those two years post degree to obtain clinical hours for the LCPC does not figure into the equation? It also appears that it is some sort of existential emergency. I emailed her privately to try to share what I know and she did not reply

Presumably, most of us understand something about the human condition. Does it seem odd that someone who has been on the site for five years would be so uninformed? Why is this such an urgent matter when one might simply go onto websites for programs and readily find the answers or Google information. Just seems like it is an attention-seeking
tactic and not a person with serious scholarly intent. I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt, but I find the entire paradigm interesting...

Cydpsyche

Hello,

I thought I would point out something that I find peculiar. It appears that Rana is posting similar questions on the Master's site. She has been a member for FIVE years and does not understand the differences in licenses, training, or an LPC from a LCPC? Please note that I am not stating that people who are learning about the profession have no business bothering those with more experience. That is the purpose of the forum.

On the Master's site, she is asking a great many elementary questions about the field and also how to complete a master's program in two years in Chicago and then get licensed in another state as she goes on for a Psy.D. Apparently, those two years post degree to obtain clinical hours for the LCPC does not figure into the equation? It also appears that it is some sort of existential emergency. I emailed her privately to try to share what I know and she did not reply

Presumably, most of us understand something about the human condition. Does it seem odd that someone who has been on the site for five years would be so uninformed? Why is this such an urgent matter when one might simply go onto websites for programs and readily find the answers or Google information. Just seems like it is an attention-seeking
tactic and not a person with serious scholarly intent. I am all for giving the benefit of the doubt, but I find the entire paradigm interesting...

Cydpsyche

If you were that interested in the OP's history, you'd also notice that the OP seems to have transitioned fields at some juncture over the years--which isn't entirely uncommon around these parts. It's not like he/she has been on the psych boards for the past 5-7 years given that there are posts re: potential mx/dental schools.

With regards to doctorates in ABA, there are very few programs that give you a straight up PhD in applied behavior analysis but some others (mostly at R1s) that award PhDs in psychology or special education with an "emphasis" in ABA but where the coursework, research, pracs, etc., are all pretty much exclusively ABA-focused.

Oh. So this person was unsure about their educational and professional goals. That explains some of it. I so often see people on this forum with critical comments about some aspects of the profession, training, the relative value or validity of programs, etc. and I found it surprising that nobody made a peep about the naive perspectives of such an uninformed individual. There was plenty of criticism and debate regarding a Youtube posted by AnnoyedByFreud about a psychologist, Noelle Turner, with $213K in debt and her stupidity, yet this individual appears poised to tumble into the same abyss.

Just seems a bit ironic.

I am just in utter shock at how a person can have so much time on their hands to not only notice, ponder about such an aspect, and have the audacity to post a long reply about something that is in no way effecting them or their life. I simply cannot waste my time to sit and defend myself against someone who has no right to even ask about my life. The point of this forum is to either answer and help someone out or to simply not reply. I find it amazing how many nosy, cynical, and negative people there are in this world. But you know what? I will explain.Just to prove to you that with all this excessive time on your hands you are wrong about everything you said, because I hate people who think they've just found something that everyone else is too stupid to notice.

1) Yes, I've been a member of this forum since I was in HIGH SCHOOL because I was moving from the USA to go to a 7 year medical (undergrad and medical combined) program abroad. At that time, I came on here to ask how a American who gained a FMG degree could come back and practice in the USA. I was determined on becoming a doctor but due to it not being an American system I was not successful. After several years I left it and started undergrad from scratch since credits weren't transferable. And I am now considering MANY healthcare related fields.

That, is why I have no information about the counseling field!

2) What would I gain out of posting questions if I reallywasn't interested in the field?? Don't you think that a "google search" would take much less time than waiting days upon days for people to reply? This forum, and I've been here for 8 years actually not FIVE as you say, is about gaining first hand experience from others and I value that. If those people with "more experience" aren't bothered by my questions and are answering me why are you?! You make us feel as if I'm taking out of your own precious time not on an online forum open to the public who you have absolutely no right to 'moderate'.

3) If you are not the one that is attention seeking, I don't know what is then. It is quite sick that you would think someone would bother themselves to sit on some online forum because they are simply seeking attention! That is so twisted in ways I can't even start to explain.

Oh, and you sent me a 'friend request' not an email so it is very creepy to even see the effort you're putting in to lie as well. And if you intended on sending a private message you have no right to contact me and ask my why I am asking questions that are in your opinion elementary!

Please do not even bother to reply unless it is with an apology for being completely out of line. I will not bother with immature replies back and forth. And if you are offensive in any way I will report you to SDN.

You my friend, have no understanding of the benefit of the doubt so don't you dare even claim you are giving it. I pray to God that you stop ruining innocent people's days with your invading interests that are helping no one.

Hello,

Cydpsyche

Thank you both. I appreciate it.

If you were that interested in the OP's history, you'd also notice that the OP seems to have transitioned fields at some juncture over the years--which isn't entirely uncommon around these parts. It's not like he/she has been on the psych boards for the past 5-7 years given that there are posts re: potential mx/dental schools.

With regards to doctorates in ABA, there are very few programs that give you a straight up PhD in applied behavior analysis but some others (mostly at R1s) that award PhDs in psychology or special education with an "emphasis" in ABA but where the coursework, research, pracs, etc., are all pretty much exclusively ABA-focused.

My goodness- a little over reactive? I still believe that my observations regarding the cognitive dissonance of postings on this site are often surprising to me. As far as I know I did not send a request to "friend" you- just tried to politely share information. It was just surprising to see that you had so many questions on this site and from the comments that others had made about the expense of education I found it astonishing that many people crucified someone who did what you appear to be poised to do and made no mention of the debt ratio. You are correct that this is quite absurd. Good luck to you. And I mean that in all sincerity.

Cydpsyche