M.B.A. in addition to the D.M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C2H5OH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day folks!

I'm currently a military dentist, who is trying to make the maximum of the time being waisted in the medical corps, and thus studying for the MBA degree (one more year to go till i get the MBA, and 2 additional years till my obligation to the military is over).

I was wondering what career opportunities would the MBA present to a dentist (and not a MD)?

Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

A big old insurance company would always look at you with interest.

In general though, you're just very well prepared for the trials and tribulations of running your own business with the MBA, and frankly that's one area where I really wish I had pursued an additional degree(and still may do so when my kids get a little older). For most dentists out in practice, its the dentistry that the easy part, but the business operations that are the tough part, and you've got a distinct advantage with the MBA:thumbup:

The MBA could help you get into dental school administration. 2 of our deans at UNC have MBA's but only one of them seems to understand business at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need to have a license in order to work for an insurance company?
How's the pay there?

I'm kinda disappointed with my work as a GP ... unless I get into OMFS residency, I'm heavily considering to quit practice ... that's the reason for my MBA for now ...

You can now pay yourself another 15k / year for having MBA after DDS in your accomplishments.:D

I'm not ammused ... I really feel that I won't be able to practice much longer, so I'm looking for another decent way to make a living ... that's why I've opened this thread ...

If you are practicing dentistry in the military you should try practicing in the commercial sector. Most things done in the military are done in unique environment that is not always the same outside of the military. You may really love being a dentist. Alternatively, with an MBA you could become an investment banker, stock brocker, or insurance salesperson. With the MBA and DDS you could work at an insurance company reviewing medical necessity and authorizing services, or you could work in contracting, or you could work for pharmaceutical companies, or you could work with dental supply companies. Most of these options involve sales to some extent but can still be rewarding financially. I would suggest that practicing dentistry outside of the military can be good experience to lead into any of these areas later in time.

If you are practicing dentistry in the military you should try practicing in the commercial sector. Most things done in the military are done in unique environment that is not always the same outside of the military. You may really love being a dentist. Alternatively, with an MBA you could become an investment banker, stock brocker, or insurance salesperson. With the MBA and DDS you could work at an insurance company reviewing medical necessity and authorizing services, or you could work in contracting, or you could work for pharmaceutical companies, or you could work with dental supply companies. Most of these options involve sales to some extent but can still be rewarding financially. I would suggest that practicing dentistry outside of the military can be good experience to lead into any of these areas later in time.

I realize that dentistry in the military is somewhat different than the practice outside. But still, I already have a back ache (my father who is also a dentist had his lumbar intervertebral disk dislocation by the age of 40, and had to undergo a surgery), and also I see the example of my dad, that is worn down by this work and is much happier when the patients cancel than when they show up ... :)

So maybe not practicing at all, or downsizing it to 1-2 dpw might be not such a bad idea after all.

Those are the reasons I undertook this MBA degree in the first place.

Hope to get here more insights ...

P.S.
I'm 28 years old, if you're wondering :)

Are you using proper ergonomics??? I had backaches in dental school because I was bent all over the place. Then I learned how to use loupes and the mirror, and focus on proper positioning. That helped tremendously. Nowadays, I'm using a surgical operating microscope, and that has helped a lot too. A lot of microscope users are saying the same thing.

By the way, I'm happier when patients don't show too... but it's not because of aches and pains. LOL.

As for the MBA, I can't answer the OP's question, but I wanted to comment on the MBA. I graduated with a student who was taking the DDS/MBA jointly. His opinion was that it was all interesting, but didn't seem to apply to dentistry. I started MBA 3 years after dental school. It makes a HECK of a lot more sense AFTER you've been in business for a while. Although the MBA is geared for large corporations, a lot of the concepts apply to your little dental office. I would definitely recommend anyone to get their MBA, but it will mean a lot more to you if you do so after practicing for a bit.

As for the MBA, I can't answer the OP's question, but I wanted to comment on the MBA. I graduated with a student who was taking the DDS/MBA jointly. His opinion was that it was all interesting, but didn't seem to apply to dentistry. I started MBA 3 years after dental school. It makes a HECK of a lot more sense AFTER you've been in business for a while. Although the MBA is geared for large corporations, a lot of the concepts apply to your little dental office. I would definitely recommend anyone to get their MBA, but it will mean a lot more to you if you do so after practicing for a bit.

I am practicing ... I'm a 2005 graduate :)