M.D. PBL schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsteoDoc2Be

I ♥ Chi Omega
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I know PBL (problem based learning) is more common with D.O. schools, and I know that the University of Missouri-Columbia offer a PBL program, but what other schools do? It's hard tracking it down. Any opinions on how that goes at M.D. schools, i.e. do you like it, do you feel you're getting a good education compared to the lecture/traditional-based, etc? I was previously only interested in D.O. schools for the sheer fact that it didn't seem that M.D. schools like the PBL route, but PBL is what I'm most interested in anyways, so.....:D

Members don't see this ad.

PBL is the worst invention to ever come to man. Do you have any idea how stupid other people are? Do you know those people that sit in the front row and ask questions ALL the time? Imagine them in your group, everyday, every year. :(

Hey everyone! I know PBL (problem based learning) is more common with D.O. schools, and I know that the University of Missouri-Columbia offer a PBL program, but what other schools do? It's hard tracking it down. Any opinions on how that goes at M.D. schools, i.e. do you like it, do you feel you're getting a good education compared to the lecture/traditional-based, etc? I was previously only interested in D.O. schools for the sheer fact that it didn't seem that M.D. schools like the PBL route, but PBL is what I'm most interested in anyways, so.....:D

1. Cornell
2. Tufts
3. USC
4. Pitt
5. Many other schools: alot of schools are beginning to incorporate PBL/case-based learning into their curriculum...I think MWillie is just scared of the thought that he will actually have to think (not meant as a diss or anything)...
6. UTMB
7. Northwestern
8. UCSF

when I am done with my school investigation (which I have been doing off and on) I will send you a copy...good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I think MWillie is just scared of the thought that he will actually have to think (not meant as a diss or anything)...

I know this from experience, thankfully pbl isn't big here.

Why not start a list?

Cornell
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of Southern California

this is amazing! i'm so excited about this list. I'm currently taking a biomedical problem class that's PBL, and I'm sure there are irritating people (c'mon, i go to an engineering school), but you will encounter those everywhere, especially in medicine and working with people. It helps you to work with a variety of people in a group setting (i.e. hospital work). I haven't had a bad experience with it so far, but it would be nice to hear the drawbacks, too, so I know what I'm getting myself into. I'm sure a lot of people feel this way, especially with these newer teaching methods coming out. I like not having the material spoon-fed to me. I remember SO much more...otherwise I space off in class and daydream :p

Cornell
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of California - San Diego
U of California - San Francisco
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California
U of Texas - Galveston (UTMB)

Cornell
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Indiana University--Northwest (Gary) regional campus
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California

Cornell
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Mercer University
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California

Cornell
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Mercer University
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California
U of Texas - Houston

Cornell
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Mercer University
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
Southern Illinois University
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California
U of Texas - Houston

Members don't see this ad :)
U. of Iowa only has 2 hours per week of pure PBL. I wouldn't consider the small group case analysis sessions we have in Immunology, Genetics, Neuroscience, and Pathology as PBL sessions as they simply serve to augment what we are learning in lectures.

CCLCM
Cornell
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Mercer University
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California
U of Texas - Houston

HMS new pathway program

SIU--Harvard modeled their PBL after them

CCLCM
Cornell
Drexel (has both PBL and traditional tracks)
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Mercer University
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California
U of Texas - Houston

My school does pbl about 2 hrs per week and it coincides with the lecture material. It is also the worst 2 hrs of the entire week. It is such an inefficient use of time. I don't know how people go through all of the material in a strictly PBL environment. It just doesn't make sense for most of the material within the first 2 years.

we do PBL at tufts and it has nothing to do with current classes. it is all just about solving problems in group format. we all have a good time with it and I find its a good way to end the week every fri before we hit the bars.

I hate schools that run mostly PBL curricula. Why should I pay all that money only for me and my classmates to teach ourselves?

Cornell
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California

Emory is not completely PBL

if i remember correctly, there are only a few schools in the nation that are completely PBL. most programs out there have a combination of both lecture and PBL. i don't think this list tells anyone anything because each school will have some combination of both lecture and PBL.

at northwestern 1st years have 2 hours of lecture everyday. PBL just reinforces what is taught in lecture and is only twice a week for like 2 hours each session. As 2nd years you will have even more lecture(4hours a day) and again...PBL twice a week to reinforce what is taught in lecture. so do the math...our institution has 5times more hours of lecture than PBL during first year. Then we have up to 10x more lecture hours than PBL as second years.

you tell me...are we PBL or non-PBL?

my point? lecture is still the focal point of learning at northwestern.

despite the fact that we talk about the use of PBL in our curriculum, i would argue its just one facet of the learning you get at our school.

so i think people have misconceptions about this whole PBL vs. non-PBL institution. most institutions are not strictly one or the other. it is not an all or nothing phenomenon.

...and when i say only a "few schools" are completely PBL....only two programs come to mind(at least from what i remember from my days interviewing which if you check my sig you will see was a while ago)...

those schools were harvard and drexel...and even within those schools...drexel only had a small percentage of it's class choose the strictly PBL learning environment and i think harvard's is half and half?

i could be wrong about that...but i really do not know of many(if at all...other than the 2 i already mentioned) schools that are completely PBL.

many of you all are thinking in black and white about this PBL stuff. don't think of it like that.

so rest assured...you and your classmates will not be "teaching yourselves medicine"(god save medicine if that be the case)...in fact...even the PBL groups have faculty facilitating and sharing insights into the discussion at the PBL cases.

...and in fact my first year PBL facilitator is a general surgeon who ended up being my attending on general surgery when i was a third year...so basically he facilitated my learning of basic pathophysiology as a first year and then taught my butt how to operate when i was a third year...he also let me choose the music when we operated so i brought my IPOD to the OR everyday. sweet. :thumbup: :thumbup: :cool:

Emory is not completely PBL
Yeah, it's only a few hours a week now, but word on the street is that it's going all/mostly PBL for next year's class. They're doing the 18 months of basic sciences that's largely PBL. Penn has a similar curriculum. I don't think the details of the new curriculum have been released yet.

bump.gif

CCLCM
Cornell
Drexel (has both PBL and traditional tracks)
Emory
Harvard (New Pathway)
Mercer University
Northwestern
Pitt
Tufts
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
U of Iowa
U of Missouri - Columbia
U of South Carolina
U of Southern California
U of Texas - Houston

UMich is PBL also (not sure if they are partially or totally)

i know that umich is not totally pbl. MOST schools have at least a little, akin to discussion sections for big undergrad classes.

on the old list a ucla student mentioned that ucla had a lot of pbl. can anyone confirm this?