M.D.s and D.O.s Moving toward a Single, Unified Accreditation System for GME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfloyd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/md...tem-for-graduate-medical-education-2012-10-24

Oct. 24, 2012, 10:00 a.m. EDT
M.D.s and D.O.s Moving toward a Single, Unified Accreditation System for Graduate Medical Education

CHICAGO, Oct. 24, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) have entered into an agreement to pursue a single, unified accreditation system for graduate medical education programs in the United States beginning in July 2015. Over the coming months, the three organizations will work toward defining a process, format and timetable for ACGME to accredit all osteopathic graduate medical education programs currently accredited by AOA. AOA and AACOM would then become organizational members of ACGME.

"This is a watershed moment for medical training in the U.S.," noted Thomas Nasca, M.D., M.A.C.P., chief executive officer of ACGME. "This would provide physicians in the United States with a uniform path of preparation for practice. This approach would ensure that the evaluation and accountability for the competency of resident physicians are consistent across all programs," he added.

Graduate medical education is the period of clinical education in a specialty that follows graduation from medical school, and prepares physicians for independent practice. Currently, ACGME accredits over 9,000 programs in graduate medical education with about 116,000 resident physicians, including over 8,900 osteopathic physicians (D.O.s). The AOA accredits more than 1,000 osteopathic graduate medical education programs with about 6,900 resident physicians, all D.O.s. The transition to a unified system would be seamless so that residents in or entering current AOA accredited residency programs will be eligible to complete residency and/or fellowship training in ACGME accredited residency and fellowship programs.

Among the topics of discussion for the three organizations will be:

Modification of ACGME accreditation standards to accept AOA specialty board certification as meeting ACGME eligibility requirements for program directors and faculty;

Programs in graduate medical education currently accredited solely by AOA to be recognized by ACGME as accredited by ACGME; and

Participation by AOA and AACOM in accreditation of programs in graduate medical education to be solely through their membership and participation in ACGME.

"Americans deserve a health care system where continuously improving the quality of care and the health of our patients is the driving force," stressed AOA President Ray E. Stowers, D.O. "A unified accreditation system creates an opportunity to set universal standards for demonstrating competency with a focus on positive outcomes and the ability to share information on best practices."

Stephen C. Shannon, D.O., M.P.H., President of AACOM, adds that, "AACOM is undertaking this historic initiative because we believe that a unified accreditation system will improve the quality and efficiency of graduate medical education."

The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) is a nonprofit organization responsible for the accreditation of over 9,000 programs in graduate medical education and about 700 institutions that sponsor these programs in the United States. Its accredited residency programs educate over 116,000 resident physicians in 135 specialties and subspecialties. Its member organizations are the American Board of Medical Specialties, the American Hospital Association, the American Medical Association, the Association of American Medical Colleges, and the Council of Medical Specialty Societies. The ACGME's mission is to improve health care by assessing and advancing the quality of resident physicians' education through exemplary accreditation.

The American Osteopathic Association (AOA) is the largest professional membership organization for osteopathic physicians (D.O.s), representing more than 100,000 D.O.s and osteopathic medical students. Headquartered in Chicago, the AOA serves as the primary certifying body for D.O.s; is the accrediting agency for osteopathic medical schools; and has federal authority to accredit hospitals and other health care facilities.

The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) serves as a unifying voice for osteopathic medical education. It represents the 21,000 osteopathic medical students as well as the administration and faculty of the 29 osteopathic medical schools in the United States. Guided by its Board of Deans and various other member councils and committees, AACOM promotes excellence in osteopathic medical education, in research and in service, and fosters innovation and quality among osteopathic medical schools to improve the health of the American public.

SOURCE Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education

Members don't see this ad.

So, it's not a combined match? The AOA is just stepping up accreditation standards to match ACGME?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it's not a combined match? The AOA is just stepping up accreditation standards to match ACGME?

It is a combined match. The AOA will be joining the ACGME completely within time.

It is a combined match. The AOA will be joining the ACGME completely within time.
No, it isn't. From the other thread in the osteo forum, the idea of a combined match has only been brought up, not agreed upon. The AOA wants MD students to learn OMM for them to do AOA residencies. You and I both know that's not going to happen, lol. Maybe one day there will be a combined match, but this doesn't do it.

This is simple, though. ACGME threatened to block fellowships due to low AOA standards. The AOA has relented and will step up to ACGME standards to let DO students get fellowships (a good thing). Now, a few AOA residencies may need to be shut down, because they won't be able to afford to get to those standards, but I'm sure that's just a few. Ultimately, this is good news for AOA residency education.

Ten years but until then it's dual accred

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

it's clear that since everything will be under one roof, aoa accreditation will no longer exist and the only accreditation - and the only match - will be acgme.

No, it isn't. From the other thread in the osteo forum, the idea of a combined match has only been brought up, not agreed upon. The AOA wants MD students to learn OMM for them to do AOA residencies. You and I both know that's not going to happen, lol. Maybe one day there will be a combined match, but this doesn't do it.

This is simple, though. ACGME threatened to block fellowships due to low AOA standards. The AOA has relented and will step up to ACGME standards to let DO students get fellowships (a good thing). Now, a few AOA residencies may need to be shut down, because they won't be able to afford to get to those standards, but I'm sure that's just a few. Ultimately, this is good news for AOA residency education.

"Over the coming months, the three organizations will work toward defining a process, format and timetable for ACGME to accredit all osteopathic graduate medical education programs currently accredited by AOA."
ie all GME programs will be ACGME accredited. I'm pretty sure that means a combined match....

Bottom Line: MD or DO, you are applying for the same jobs, same standards, same accreditation by ACGME.

:love:

Bottom Line: MD or DO, you are applying for the same jobs, same standards, same accreditation by ACGME.

:love:

Exactly.... No more AOA approved residencies, all ACGME...that sounds pretty awesome to me, especially being a Canadian DO...

From the AOA websitee:

Will there be a single Match?

We will be discussing implementation of the unified accreditation system with AACOM over the next several months, including the best approach to a Match system. However, starting in March 2015, if all programs are considered ACGME approved, it is likely there will be one Match.

so this means we don't have to do USMLE to enter MD residency? COMLEX is enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I guess we will see more residency positions in specialty fields, sounds like good news to me.

My question is where does OMM fall under all of this? If a DO can apply to an MD residency without a problem because its a part of the ACGME, how can an MD apply for the same residencies? Is OMM just going to be looked as an extra tool but not a necessity to utilize in specific residencies?

I don't know if anyone knows what this is going to mean for boards. Hopefully it means only one or the other. The downside could me that my here will be an influx of MDs applying to the old DO residencies for the more competitive residencies like derm, ortho, and such that were previously only open to DOs. Overall, I think it's good, and we can still get anything with hard work. I think it levels the playing field and will lead to a decreased discrimination against DOs.

I don't know if anyone knows what this is going to mean for boards. Hopefully it means only one or the other. The downside could me that my here will be an influx of MDs applying to the old DO residencies for the more competitive residencies like derm, ortho, and such that were previously only open to DOs. Overall, I think it's good, and we can still get anything with hard work. I think it levels the playing field and will lead to a decreased discrimination against DOs.

I agree. I think overall it's good news!!!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

My question is where does OMM fall under all of this? If a DO can apply to an MD residency without a problem because its a part of the ACGME, how can an MD apply for the same residencies? Is OMM just going to be looked as an extra tool but not a necessity to utilize in specific residencies?

"Will MDs and IMGs be allowed to train in osteopathic training programs?

Allowing MDs to enter into osteopathic-focused training programs will also be part of our transition discussions with ACGME. However, if they are allowed into osteopathic-focused programs, we would work with ACGME to identify educational prerequisites or other accomplishments or “check points” expected for MDs to meet in regard to OPP and OMM. The same would apply for IMGs. "

Wishful thinking, but I hope OMM is not even considered for MD's coming into previously DO residencies. At most, it should be a cert class of some sorts. Why learn OMM when you're entering a residency such as surgery?

This ultimately is good news, but like I've said in the other threads, I still think the increased competition from MD students into AOA spots will lead to less DO's specializing. Ultimately, this will reduce discrimination against DO's when looking for positions, post-residency, but I don't really see how it ends discrimination against DO's when looking for residency.

I think this shows a lot on the ACGME's part. They were not happy that the AOA was not training at standards that were acceptable and threatened action if they don't step up. If anything, this shows the ACGME has very little discrimination against DOs. They just don't like the AOA and their standards! With better standards comes more respect from peers. This measure can only be for the better of everyone.

This ultimately is good news, but like I've said in the other threads, I still think the increased competition from MD students into AOA spots will lead to less DO's specializing. Ultimately, this will reduce discrimination against DO's when looking for positions, post-residency, but I don't really see how it ends discrimination against DO's when looking for residency.

I could see this point of view. Discrimination probably won't change too much in the beginning. However, it this new proposal is defnitely a step in the right direction. If anything, 30 years from now this could just mean the end of the DO degree.

I think this shows a lot on the ACGME's part. They were not happy that the AOA was not training at standards that were acceptable and threatened action if they don't step up. If anything, this shows the ACGME has very little discrimination against DOs. They just don't like the AOA! This measure can only be for the better of everyone.

I agree completely.
Part of me wonders if this secretly has been something the AOA has been shooting for, for some time. After all, what better way to address the huge and growing AOA residency slot shortfall than a merger with ACGME programs that are already established and up to par. Smart move and good move for everyone as far as I can tell:thumbup:

We just got out of meeting with our Dean. COMLEX will still be required for DO students still and it pretty much a done deal that MDs will be allowed to train at formerly AOA-only residency. I believe that this will make things only harder going forward to specialize in the super competitive residencies. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Question!!

Is the acgme felowship restriction over with now?

We just got out of meeting with our Dean. COMLEX will still be required for DO students still and it pretty much a done deal that MDs will be allowed to train at formerly AOA-only residency. I believe that this will make things only harder going forward to specialize in the super competitive residencies. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm assuming then that MD students who want a DO residency will have to take the COMLEX, just like DOs have to take the USMLE to enter MD residency?

It would be nice to just have one set of "boards" and let the students compete on the same field.

Question!!

"If negotiations are successful, as of July 2015, all osteopathic training programs will automatically be deemed accredited by ACGME."​

This seems to be very good news. I also have this link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/49534220 because I'm not really sure how reputable the other is, but the story is the same. Does that mean that AOA residencies is fair game for MD applicants? Also, how will the AOA deal with the OMM issue if MD applicants are allowed to participate in both? How will the board exams be affected? I'm so happy that they are getting rid of this West Side story issue between AOA and ACGME.

I think the DO residency will have the same biase for their specailties as MD have with DOs...

i think overall its a right step...concerns of DO biase is less now..as long as you work hard and do well on your boards..the MD will see the same quality of training...

we are 100% under the ACGME umbrella now...the AOA is going to lose power overtime and convert us into an MD with DO specialization

...what happens with the comlex now?...is it gone too?so many questions are going to arise....and big changes are going to happen in a short time

I could see this point of view. Discrimination probably won't change too much in the beginning. However, it this new proposal is defnitely a step in the right direction. If anything, 30 years from now this could just mean the end of the DO degree.
That would mean the end of the AOA. I doubt that will be happening for a long time, lol.

Who knows, though? I mean, anything could happen in thirty years.

Agreed.

I think this shows a lot on the ACGME's part. They were not happy that the AOA was not training at standards that were acceptable and threatened action if they don't step up. If anything, this shows the ACGME has very little discrimination against DOs. They just don't like the AOA and their standards! With better standards comes more respect from peers. This measure can only be for the better of everyone.

This is not necessarily the case. It can also mean that ACGME was upset that they weren't the all powerful governing body. On the whole, AOA standards were just fine and continued to improve. I think its more political than quality assurance...

Its a good step forward, I just wish it had happened after I got my AOA Ortho(or whichever) residency ;)

Yep, I agree...

I'm assuming then that MD students who want a DO residency will have to take the COMLEX, just like DOs have to take the USMLE to enter MD residency?

from the aacom faq: "If MDs are allowed into osteopathic-focused programs, we would work with ACGME to identify educational prerequisites or other accomplishments or "check points" expected for MDs to meet in regard to OPP and OMM, and ambulatory training."

I think some people are missing the fact that there will be ONE accrediting organization. The AOA residencies will no longer be AOA residencies. All residencies will be ACGME as that will be the ONLY accrediting organization. If there is one organization that means one match for all, meaning ALL residencies are available to ALL med students applying. Use some logic people...

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Pages/ACGME-single-accreditation-system.aspx

Some quotes from the AOA website...

"Modification of ACGME accreditation standards to accept AOA specialty board certification as meeting ACGME eligibility requirements for program directors and faculty;

Programs in graduate medical education currently accredited solely by AOA will be recognized by ACGME as accredited by ACGME; and

Participation by AOA and AACOM in accreditation of programs in graduate medical education accreditation to be solely through their membership and participation in ACGME.

The AOA, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) have entered into an agreement to pursue a single, unified accreditation system for graduate medical education programs in the United States beginning in July 2015. During the coming months, the three organizations will work toward defining a process, format and timetable for ACGME to accredit all osteopathic graduate medical education programs currently accredited by the AOA. The AOA and AACOM would then become organizational members of ACGME."

it will happen sooner than you think

this is the first time weve seen the ACGME muscle AOA

they put on fellowship restrictions...which if passed would have destroyed a large chunk of the AOA

the AOA was put undersubmissive and the ACGME took over their power...

another flexing of the ACGME/AOA...means...comlex would...

i dont believe the osteopathic principles will be gone..but i think the DO title will

..again this is in 10 yrs time

Question!!

Essentially this is it. Fellowships and residencies are going to be restricted to only those that complete an ACGME approved internship year. What this news means is that all AOA residencies will be approved by ACGME starting 2015 so DO will not be shut out of ACGME residencies and fellowships. Good news for DOs, not so good news for IMGs...

from the aacom faq: "If MDs are allowed into osteopathic-focused programs, we would work with ACGME to identify educational prerequisites or other accomplishments or “check points” expected for MDs to meet in regard to OPP and OMM, and ambulatory training."

there you go...the DO will be more biased than the MDs for their high specialty programs

and the MDs the vice versa...

damnnn..i cannot do plastics anymore..lol

Essentially this is it. Fellowships and residencies are going to be restricted to only those that complete an ACGME approved internship year. What this news means is that all AOA residencies will be approved by ACGME starting 2015 so DO will not be shut out of ACGME residencies and fellowships. Good news for DOs, not so good news for IMGs...
I don't see how this is not good news for IMGs, as well. IMGs have to do ACGME residencies regardless (foreign GME is not recognized, anyway). Now, they have more residencies (the previously AOA ones) to apply to.

yea this is going to...DESTROYYY ...IMG...literally destroy!!

half those school will go under.....

add the fact that new DO school are popping up like crazy...

it will happen sooner than you think

this is the first time weve seen the ACGME muscle AOA

they put on fellowship restrictions...which if passed would have destroyed a large chunk of the AOA

the AOA was put undersubmissive and the ACGME took over their power...

another flexing of the ACGME/AOA...means...comlex would...

i dont believe the osteopathic principles will be gone..but i think the DO title will

..again this is in 10 yrs time

Perhaps an M.D, D.O like Dr. Still :)

thats

Mr. Dr. Still MD, DO

to you!lol

I am pretty happy about this, when looking at the big picture.

Has anyone found a timeline of when all these points are going to be implemented?

My biggest concern/question is regarding the fact that the currently AOA residencies (specifically optho) that are usually more desirable, will now have a MUCH larger applicant pool, making them that much more competitive and difficult to get into.

"Modification of ACGME accreditation standards to accept AOA specialty board certification as meeting ACGME eligibility requirements for program directors and faculty;

Programs in graduate medical education currently accredited solely by AOA to be recognized by ACGME as accredited by ACGME; and

Participation by AOA and AACOM in accreditation of programs in graduate medical education to be solely through their membership and participation in ACGME."

*An observation I have while reading all this is that AOA and AACOM are not going to be dissolved...I really cant even find any hints of them loosing any power, except for the fact that they will need to be members of ACGME. But, in a way, this actually gives them more power and credibility.

Seems like a, "if you cant beat em, let them join you" situation going on...

Participation by AOA and AACOM in accreditation of programs in graduate medical education to be solely through their membership and participation in ACGME."

*An observation I have while reading all this is that AOA and AACOM are not going to be dissolved...I really cant even find any hints of them loosing any power, except for the fact that they will need to be members of ACGME. But, in a way, this actually gives them more power and credibility.

Seems like a, "if you cant beat em, let them join you" situation going on...
Yeah, people need to get an understanding here. The AOA still exists, it's just as a member of ACGME now.

The degrees are NOT merging, people. Maybe one day, but this isn't it.

And why are you guys acting like IMGs got destroyed? If anything, this is good news for them. They just got thousands of new residency programs (the previously AOA ones) to apply to.

Agreed.

This is not necessarily the case. It can also mean that ACGME was upset that they weren't the all powerful governing body. On the whole, AOA standards were just fine and continued to improve. I think its more political than quality assurance...

Its a good step forward, I just wish it had happened after I got my AOA Ortho(or whichever) residency ;)

Haha. Maybe so. But whatever the true motive is, it was something that desperately needed to be done. Imagine that people will no longer be able to worry about landing a "crappy" DO residency. It will soon have the same quality as its MD counterparts. Not bad ;)

Hopefully the next step is to petition the government, in unison, to fund for more residency slots to open.

Yeah, people need to get an understanding here. The AOA still exists, it's just as a member of ACGME now.

The degrees are NOT merging, people. Maybe one day, but this isn't it.

And why are you guys acting like IMGs got destroyed? If anything, this is good news for them. They just got thousands of new residency programs (the previously AOA ones) to apply to.

well, the pd's at the formerly aoa residencies are do's and they will be the ones to decide whether to take them or not.
there were 888 unfilled aoa residencies this year.

Last edited: