• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

M Prep | MCAT question 8/11/17

SweetBurger

cowbell
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2013
Cant know this AND MY MOMENTUM
  1. Medical Student
I realize this might be a little strange to post in this forum, but it seemed like the best fit.
Heres the q: A base is dissolved in solution such that the concentration of the base (X) is 100 mM and the concentration of the conjugate acid (HX+) is 1 M at equilibrium. If the pKb is 2.89, which of the following is closest to the pH of the solution?
A. 2
B. 3
C. 11
D. 12

I initially ignored A and B as the pKb is approx 3 so the pH should be much higher. Now I know you can use pOH=pKb+log(Acid/Base) ---> pOH=2.89+log(1/.1) = 2.89+1 = 3.89 =pOH. So the pH should be roughly 10 (which isn't even an answer choice). However, the explanation they gave uses what looks like a wrong combination of the Henderson Hasselbach formula and leads them to an answer of 12.
Screenshot heres a screenshot of the question + explanation

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.