M.S Mech. Eng. Can I get into med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goin4it

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to know my chances. I am currently finishing up my masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, with an emphasis in biosensor design at a well known UC school. I recently decided Med School is my dream.

My stats are 3.55 uGPA, 3.5 SciGPA, 3.9 MSGPA. I have research experience and one publication. I recieved the community service award for my major in undergrad while doing plenty of volunteer activities. I was the president of the engineering honor society as well. I am planning on getting some shadowing experience soon.

I still need to complete a few required premed courses and take the MCAT. Assuming I score MCAT ~31-36 what do you think my chances are of getting into a CA MD program or any program for that matter. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You will also need some hands-on clinical experience where you interact directly with sick people, in addition to shadowing (considered a passive observership). The average applicant has about 1.5 years of 3-4 hours per week clinical experience during the academic year for a otal of 150 hours. Average shadowing is about 50 hours split amond a few types of doc, ideally one in primary care.

You can get an idea of your chances of an MD acceptance from this AAMC data from the last three years showing the outcomes of applicants with various GPA/MCAT scenarios: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

There is no simiar data avaliable for DO schools, but the average entering student has cGPA 3.48/MCAT 26.09 stats.