M1 Grades for Ortho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthoman5000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
O.K. this is probably being really anal asking about this stuff right now (although compared to my classmates I feel about like the most laid back man alive).

Anyway, how important are basic science grades for getting an ortho residency? I know boards are perhaps the most important but how much more than basic science GPA?

I've been told by friends that know the Chief Resident of Orthopaedic surgery at my school that he didn't really do that well his first two years but impressed the right people during his clinical rotations.

I've already finished Biochemistry and Cell Biology (got a B and a C), and I'm currently on Microanatomy and Gross Anatomy (first tests tomorrow). I guess I'm wondering if I really HAVE to make A's in Gross Anatomy to be seriously considered for a competetive surgical specialty down the road?

Of course I do have the most important qualifications: 6' 4", male, National level athlete in college....

Members don't see this ad.