M1 Home for Thanksgiving Break - Ask Me Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also to @HinduHammer & @Ace Khalifa how would you describe the cool kids at your school. Med school normally attracts a certain type of personality I would think the popular kids would be different than what we see in college..

Haha, at least in my situation you'd be wrong. The "cool" kids are mostly 22, mostly white, mostly tall and traditionally good looking, mostly huge drinkers, mostly slim, and mostly extroverted. Like most social groups, there are a few "regina george" type girls whom the clique centers around. That whole thing of med school being like high school again is fairly accurate in my class at least.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Ace Khalifa is the dating scene that OP described pretty much the same at your school?
I live in a much bigger city than @HinduHammer does, so it's definitely possible to date outside of med school. My class doesn't have a good guy:girl ratio (as in its not close to 50:50), so that's annoying too. Especially when there a ton of people coming into med school already are in relationships.

Also to @HinduHammer & @Ace Khalifa how would you describe the cool kids at your school. Med school normally attracts a certain type of personality I would think the popular kids would be different than what we see in college..

The "cool kids" are pretty much just like what HinduHammer has already stated. But at least in my class, they aren't total douches. I actually like chillin with them every once in awhile cuz they def know how to have fun lol. My class has different friend groups for sure. I hang out with my 2 besties the most, and the rest of my crew most of the other time. Sometimes I hang out with my friends in other friend groups and it's always fun and nice to catch up with classmates you don't see every day. Don't worry so much about different friend groups (I refuse to use the word "clique"). If you're a nice person with decent social skills and fun to be around, you'll make friends, regardless of whether they're bros or cool chicks or nerds or anything in between.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you appropriately enjoying first year? Because second year sucks.

Interesting, though directed at the OP and not an invalidation of your experience, I think first year sucked a whole lot more.

Alot more.Wish I could give you a better/more explanatory answer, but..yeah. Alot more. Material isn't harder, just alot more of it.

So should i be minimizing ugrad study time so that i can simply increase the time in med school?

I was wondering, how well do you think an introverted person can integrate into the social atmosphere of med school? I'm quite introverted and I think that hurt my social life quite a bit when I attended a giant school for undergrad where it's easy to get lost in the crowd. I hope med school will be better but on the other hand, I will also have less time to socialize so....

Hey SDN,
I'm taking 48 hours off (well, more like 12) off from studying b/c I'm home for Thanksgiving. My family is off at an event tonight and I got home early. So, if you care to, feel free to ask me anything about m1 year. I'll be responsive for the next 48 hours at least! FWIW me: nontrad, low GPA, multiple MD acceptances, loving med school, etc.

Nontrad as in, having taken a gap year or two after college to make your application look more perfect/scripted, or having a real & productive career and having not flipped a science textbook for at least 5 years?

I was wondering, how well do you think an introverted person can integrate into the social atmosphere of med school? I'm quite introverted and I think that hurt my social life quite a bit when I attended a giant school for undergrad where it's easy to get lost in the crowd. I hope med school will be better but on the other hand, I will also have less time to socialize so....
As an introvert who goes to a med school filled with extroverts, I'm having a better social life than I ever did in college (and that one wasn't even bad either). You just need to put in a lot of effort into making friends, which includes making the decision to go out instead of stay in. Sure it will drain you to be in very stimulating environments, but it's worth it if you want to have friends and a decent social life. Also, I've noticed every friend group has at least a couple introverts because being able to listen attentively instead of talking all the time is just as valuable and a good trait to have as a friend. So like I said before, just be a nice person who has decent social skills and is fun to be around and you'll make friends. Oh, and don't be arrogant. Ever. Bros, hoes, nerds - we all hate that.

I live in a much bigger city than @HinduHammer does, so it's definitely possible to date outside of med school. My class doesn't have a good guy:girl ratio (as in its not close to 50:50), so that's annoying too. Especially when there a ton of people coming into med school already are in relationships.

The "cool kids" are pretty much just like what HinduHammer has already stated. But at least in my class, they aren't total douches. I actually like chillin with them every once in awhile cuz they def know how to have fun lol. My class has different friend groups for sure. I hang out with my 2 besties the most, and the rest of my crew most of the other time. Sometimes I hang out with my friends in other friend groups and it's always fun and nice to catch up with classmates you don't see every day. Don't worry so much about different friend groups (I refuse to use the word "clique"). If you're a nice person with decent social skills and fun to be around, you'll make friends, regardless of whether they're bros or cool chicks or nerds or anything in between.

Yeah Ace lives in a ballin' city if I remember correctly. That being said I've only messed around with 1 girl from my med school class and that was during orientation week. Rest of the girls have been undergrads, grad students, people who work in town, etc. The "cool" kids in my class aren't total douches either...I dunno, I guess I'm just bitter b/c I'm not one of them lol. They're all fine and nice and whatever. I guess the differences is that the "cool" group aren't like very nerdy, whereas the rest of us have very nerdy qualities..like I'm big into star trek and game of thrones and stuff like that.

Also, @HinduHammer, my bad bro. I'm not trying to steal your thread.

No prob man, glad you're contributing! Keep it up!

Yeah, I think I am. Frankly I don't study enough, which is hard b/c I love the material but I get burnt out on studying easy. But yeah, I enjoy it :)

Nontrad as in, having taken a gap year or two after college to make your application look more perfect/scripted, or having a real & productive career and having not flipped a science textbook for at least 5 years?

Ha, non-trad as in got a degree in economics, worked in sales and politics for 5 years before thinking about medicine with a sub 2.0 GPA. Then studying my butt off for a few years while doing tons of volunteer/clinical work. So that kind of nontrad... I'm the 3rd oldest dude in my class lol.

Serious question!!!! Thors hammer or Hindu hammer?

Well, Mjolnir is badass but since its fictional, I'd have to go with HinduHammer :)

So should i be minimizing ugrad study time so that i can simply increase the time in med school?

I don't really understand the premise of your question. I always try and minimize the amount of studying I do to achieve the desired outcome.

I've noticed that the introverts tend to group together in groups of 2-3 and hang out together alot. I also have a feeling that the introverts are the ones who are going to kill their boards. That being said, there was an introvert girl in our class who didn't make too many friends and didn't build a social support system (which I think is crucial) and decided to drop out in the first several weeks. She is planning to start again next year, and I hope she does.

Yeah going off what @HinduHammer said, making friends and building a strong support system is CRUCIAL to having a better experience in med school. At my school we start with anatomy, which forces you to find people to group study with. I am grateful that my study buddies ended up being so awesome that they are my main crew too. And while I don't see much of any one person every day anymore, cuz we are all off doing our own things, it's always good to have your one main crew or squad to come back to for support.