1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

M1-M2 Course Review Text Recommendations

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by MedPuck, Apr 8, 2002.

1. MedPuck

MedPuck Made
    7+ Year Member

To current students: Just wondering which review texts helped you most for the major classes in the M1-M2 years.

I am most interested in great review texts to supplement my future coursework in Histology/ Tissue Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Physiology and anything else you can recommend. I am starting med school this fall and want to start buying some texts so I can find some better deals while spreading out the purchases (instead of all at once). And no I am not planning on studying all summer to get an edge!! Thanks so much in advance! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Lippencott's Biochemistry
    Lippencott's Pharmacology
    BRS Pathology
    Sanders Physiology (Costanzo)

I didn't really use or find a worthwhile book for Immunology or Histology.

4. kd

kd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would second Lippincott's Biochem and Costanzo's BRS Physiology for first year. Also, I used Chung's BRS Gross Anatomy, Gartner's BRS Histology & Cell Biology, and the BRS Embryology book (the latter somewhat less useful than the others). For Neuroanatomy, look into either High Yield or BRS as well. To save money, I ordered everything from half.com

5. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Though it sounds like a good idea to buy the books beforehand ... be wary that some schools do not even deal with the book, but have a 'required' test. For us, physio, histo, biochem, and neuro are all strictly from handouts and lecture notes. I don't even own texts for those classes (except lippincott biochem, which is damn good).

I think you should definitely pick up: Netter's atlas, a histo atlas (wheater's, gartner and hiatt, any one of 'em is fine), an anatomy text (either Moore or Snell, but I think Snell reads like a dictionary), lippincott biochem, and some BRS if you want, but I don't really use them ... Actually, it's good way to get an overview for physio, which is tough for me conceptually, so maybe BRS Physio. And you might as well pick up First Aid for the USMLE, just so you can get used to seeing what is high yield.

Good luck,

Simul

6. MedPuck

MedPuck Made
    7+ Year Member

Thanks a ton for your suggestions! :) I welcome any others. Regardless of whether or not my courses require texts/reviews, I would like to use ancillary material in each course for the courses and for Step 1 Review. Again, I appreciate your recommendations. :D

7. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree that BRS path, Lippincott Biochem and Pharm, Netter are essential. As for the rest, I wouldn't buy them until a week or so into each class, when you'll have a better feel for the course: how you want to study, what kinds of course materials will be provided by your profs, how will you be tested, etc. Sometimes the best review material can be your own notes. I feel that way about my physio notes.

A small medical dictionary is also a must.

One other book I think is great is NMS Medicine. As a second-year student, I use it all the time for our intro to clinical medicine/pathophysiology course.

8. japhy

japhy Ski Bum
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    check out <a href="http://www.doc-swap.com" target="_blank">www.doc-swap.com</a>
    they have tons of used books at incredible prices. I have used board review books almost exclusively for all of my classes, in addition to lecture notes of course. I think it is a great way to go because you have already used the board review material when it comes time to actually study for the boards. plus you don't have to shell out all that $$$ at once.

Anyway, I used Chung BRS anatomy, BRS Phys (fantastic), Lippincott's Biochem, BRS Path and Medical Micro and Immuno by levinson. Definitely pick up an old copy of First Aid for the Boards.

9. Deepa

Deepa Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

<a href="http://www.bestwebbuys.com" target="_blank">Check this out</a> u guyz, they hav both new and used books and it searches like a whole lot of websites including Amazon. :D .Comin to the books BRS Physiology, Lippincott Biochemistry and Medical Micro and Immunology by Jawetz r great.

10. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    bumping this up

11. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

Ok I think i'm set with books for the fall, just gotta get Netters and Atlas, and even Lippincott Biochem is required in my schl. I've BRS Anatomy, Biochem, micro/immuno
    Prob get BRS Phys from some friends, just bought 1st aid, and key facts for anatomy and physiology and the anatomy coloring book.

12. omarsaleh66

omarsaleh66 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Get First AID - a must for any NBME exam

steadmen medical dictionary is helpful too

Biochem- lippincott biochemistry

Anatomy - Netter Atlas, Rohen Atlas, BRS anatomy, high yield anatomy, the larsen text book for embryology, Moore clinical anatomy (text)

Histo - BRS histo

Neuro - Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, Neuro High Yield

Phys - Phys BRS

The BRS is good for any class cuz of the test questions.

peace

Omar

13. BACMEDIC

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Does anyone have info on:

Clinical Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple? There is a new 2004 ed.

I know micro Made Ridiculously Simple is rated high, but I've heard little on this one. Any info or insight you have on this would be great.

Thanks

14. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

we've pathology 1st yr 2nd semester, so I'll get BRS path later.
    For 1st semester
    also have HY cell & mol bio which will be helpful for my short biochem class and short genetics class to supplement Lippincott and lecture notes

just gotta get Netters and Atlas, and even Lippincott Biochem is required in my schl. I've BRS Anatomy, Biochem, micro/immuno
    I've BRS Phys, 1st aid, anatomy coloring book, phys coloring book, step up

15. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

I think modt of the 2nd now 3rd yrs who took the step I, say Lippincott is great, and 1st aid section in biochem is alright!
    Dunno if its worth this new book, maybe if its as gr8 as the micro one that everyone loves.

16. Nflow

Nflow Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

17. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree Lippincott is really good! I never used big or little Moore or little for anatomy...I used BRS and occasionally HY along with my Netters Atlas. Definitely get first Aid!

18. azzarah

azzarah sleepy!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    By the way, I borrowed most of my first year books from the library (except Netters).