M1 Resources (Zanki vs FC, nontrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phdtomduk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming M1 looking for input on the best resources to use alongside my courses. I'm particularly interested in hearing opinions on Firecracker vs Zanki. Since our curriculum isn't tailored to step 1, I think supplementing course material with a usmle focused resource will be beneficial. Our curriculum is systems-based.

Questions:

1. Can decks from FC/zanki be added in as I cover them in class? Since I have no baseline science knowledge, I'm assuming I can't add in cards until I cover them in my curriculum. Which would be better for adding selected topics/following course curriculum?

2. Would one of these work better as a resource to help in the short-term with my courses? It'd be nice to use FC/Zanki for both short-term course review and long-term step 1 prep.

Any other insights on FC vs Zanki, the feasibility of jumping into these resources with no science knowledge, how you use these resources as an M1 or in a systems-based curriculum etc., would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think FC still has a free trial, I would try both and see which you like better. The best resource is the one you will use consistently--for me that was FC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried both. FC is hood for biochem and micro cards. Algorithm sucks and honestly getting through the cards is just painful. Its very comprehensive though. Its a very good product, but very time intensive.

Zanki is great bc once you figure out anki, the reviews become more transparent than FC. You can make your own cards and really individualize it to fit your needs. Whenever i run into a zanki card i don’t understand, i look it up and make a note in the extras section to remind myself next time.

Zanki gets my vote.

Reactions: 1 users
@intubesteak @Ho0v-man appreciate the input.

I've heard of some people using both simultaneously. Does this seem feasible or wise? Could I choose one for long-term review (i.e. consistently doing/banking cards) and just use the other for supplemental review (e.g. right before a test or end of block for extra practice)? I keep hearing that in order to for these resources to be useful you really need to keep up with them and use them consistently. This makes sense in terms of developing and sustaining a knowledge base over a long period of time. I'm wondering though why you couldn't just use one of these as a q-bank to get extra questions when you want extra practice with a specific topic?

I've heard of some people using both simultaneously. Does this seem feasible or wise? Could I choose one for long-term review (i.e. consistently doing/banking cards) and just use the other for supplemental review (e.g. right before a test or end of block for extra practice)? I keep hearing that in order to for these resources to be useful you really need to keep up with them and use them consistently. This makes sense in terms of developing and sustaining a knowledge base over a long period of time. I'm wondering though why you couldn't just use one of these as a q-bank to get extra questions when you want extra practice with a specific topic?
That seems insane. Most people struggle to just do one. Take it with a grain of salt though. Unlike most 260+ superstars which seems to be the majority of sdn, I’m a mere mortal.

Yeah, one resource is definitely more than enough. If you actually do all the flashcards for either resource and keep up with the reviews, you’ll be very busy.

My opinion is go for Zanki. It’s free. It’s based on Pathoma, Uworld, and FA. And as a previous poster put, once you understand the program, everything is customizable and you can edit the cards. I’ve used Anki throughout M1 and loved it.

Reactions: 1 user

I would pick one or the other. For lecture material I just went over the powerpoints a bunch of times to fill in the gaps. In general the three things you will want to focus on are:

1. Good primary source of information (books/lecture)
2. Some kind of flashcard/memorization system (FC or anki)
3. Practice questions (Uworld once in organ systems...Rx, Kaplan, FC if desired during basic sciences)

If you can do all of those things well, with the overarching goal in each block to truly master the subject at hand, you will be set up for success on step1 and the wards.

I would pick one or the other. For lecture material I just went over the powerpoints a bunch of times to fill in the gaps. In general the three things you will want to focus on are:

3. Practice questions (Uworld once in organ systems...Rx, Kaplan, FC if desired during basic sciences)

If you can do all of those things well, with the overarching goal in each block to truly master the subject at hand, you will be set up for success on step1 and the wards.

what if we begin organ systems from the getgo? Lots of schools are like this. My school does biochem for a month and then we start systems. I assume I shouln't begin uworld off the bat, so Kaplan instead?

@intubesteak In the one week trial we have for FC what are some features we should familiarize ourselves with to see whether FC is right for us?

what if we begin organ systems from the getgo? Lots of schools are like this. My school does biochem for a month and then we start systems. I assume I shouln't begin uworld off the bat, so Kaplan instead?

You will get a variety of opinions on this, but I would go ahead with Uworld in that case, keeping in mind you only have one "reset". What I did was completed my first pass of Uworld alongside my classes, and a second pass during dedicated. Some people like to "save" their questions until closer to dedicated but my opinion is you want to learn stuff really well the first time, so I used Uworld with classes.

@intubesteak In the one week trial we have for FC what are some features we should familiarize ourselves with to see whether FC is right for us?

That's rough I thought it was more like a month. In terms of features, the platform is very flexible and adaptable, but you cannot edit the cards like anki (you can make comments on them though). You can make it do just about anything you want it to once you learn how. I would focus more on the content, comparing it directly to what is being taught in class and also what anki has to offer. I think the best part of FC is the content. Its definitely not just FA in flashcard format, and helps you understand a lot of things beyond memorizing a flashcard. Its also the most complete resource I have come across in terms of what could be on step1.

My school also does one basic science block and then jumps into systems blocks.

I'm leaning towards Zanki for longterm Step 1 review, but I also feel like I need something with practice questions tailored to each lecture block. Lecture slides and textbooks are going to be my primary sources, but practice questions have always helped me really ensure I have mastered the material. Do you have any recommendations?

Would firecracker work for this? Would a q-bank (usmle rx, kaplan, uworld) on subject mode work better? I've heard also heard suggestions to use the questions in BRS gross anatomy, physiology, Pathoma, Gray's Anatomy, Robbins or Cotran.

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me how to install zanki? There seems to be a bunch of expansion packs and stuff. Where do I begin the installation process? Thanks.

My school also does one basic science block and then jumps into systems blocks.

I'm leaning towards Zanki for longterm Step 1 review, but I also feel like I need something with practice questions tailored to each lecture block. Lecture slides and textbooks are going to be my primary sources, but practice questions have always helped me really ensure I have mastered the material. Do you have any recommendations?

Would firecracker work for this? Would a q-bank (usmle rx, kaplan, uworld) on subject mode work better? I've heard also heard suggestions to use the questions in BRS gross anatomy, physiology, Pathoma, Gray's Anatomy, Robbins or Cotran.

Hopefully your lectures have some questions built into them, but in general the purpose of doing questions is more to synthesize and compare/contrast the bigger picture. A lot of questions will have you choose between two similar diseases with some key, subtle differences that are not explicitly discussed in class. The Qbanks (of the ones you mention, I used Rx, Uworld, and Robbins) are very good at this. In terms of reviewing individual lecture material, flashcards are probably better for that. In medical school the challenge has more to do with volume of material rather than difficulty. Doing specific questions right after a lecture would essentially be too easy, because the material is not inherently difficult. On the other hand doing a bunch of GI questions towards the end of your GI block is going to be tough because there are a lot of diseases to learn about.

TLDR: Do flashcards and re read lectures, and then do questions towards the end of the block would be my suggestion.

I have been told it is better to make my own flashcard deck, but in case I get behind, Is it possible to purchase a premade Anki deck from an online service or a previous M1?