M1 Summer International Opportunity Worth It? Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roca88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
29 views...0 replies...bump?

IMHO (and I don't have experience with this program) it's way too expensive for only 2 weeks. I wouldn't spend the money. But that's just me. GL!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
some friends of mine did it. they thought it was awesome and were glad they went. if you're okay with the money, its an experience.

money was an issue with me, so i didnt. i plan to go abroad fourth year electives.

1200 is a lot ot pay for a 'vacation' in which you'll be working on peeps. You might pick up a couple cool skills, but probably not something you can do in the states anytime soon. I'd look for something that's subsidized or covers more of your costs, so you aren't paying to work. Good luck!

Last edited:
The cost really is not high. I payed 8k for a 3 week trip to Africa, and would definitely do it again. I've never done an international medical trip, but I hope to do a couple in medical school.

You have to consider the other things you'd do with the money. Would you eat out more, buy a computer, etc.? Then determine which you'd rather do. I traded moving back in with my parents between undergrad and med school.

If this will put you in a situation where you can't pay rent or do the things you want to do here, don't go. I'm ok with extra loans...you never know how much time or how many opportunities you'll have.

Yeah, it seems like some money, but why wouldn't you go? It sounds like you'd get to learn Spanish, be involved medically and have an adventure...this is your last big summer, make the most of it. It seems like something you'd regret not doing.

Well, only you can decide if it's worth the cost to you. I spent a month in Cambodia after first year volunteering at a pediatric hospital and had a great time. It wasn't cheap (airfare alone was ~$1300, although of course once in the country costs are low) but I felt like it was worth it. I got to do/see many interesting things at the hospital, and also had some free time to travel around a bit. If you could extend your trip by another week or so to just have fun and see the country, this might improve the value of the plane ticket. I can't think of anything I would have rather done with my summer, and all of my classmates that traveled abroad last summer (probably at least 1/4 of the class) seem to have had great experiences as well. I'm hoping to travel in third year during our elective period and possibly again during fourth year. International travel is usually expensive, but if it is important to you to see the world than it is money well spent (or loan money well borrowed, as the case may be).