M1 summer: review or not?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by sendwich, Jun 4, 2008.

?

what are your plans on reviewing M1 material?

1. (current M1's): yes, I am actively reviewing info this summer

12 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. (current M1's): yes, reviewing on "relaxed mode"

44 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. (current M1's): nah, reviewing is for suckers

47 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. (M2 and beyond): yes, reviewing is a good idea.

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. (M2 and beyond): nah. looking back, it's not so important

45 vote(s)
    29.0%
  1. sendwich

sendwich you rock!

how many of you are actually reviewing all the material covered during M1? How helpful is this actually?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse The Dude Has Got No Mercy

Resident [Any Field]
    It won't make any difference at all in the long run. Plus, much of MS2 really builds on things you learned first year, so in a way, it's like you're automatically reviewing. Anything you study this summer won't stick till the boards next summer. If you have to do something med-school related, do research. Or better yet, find a way to do something clinical, even if it's just shadowing. It will really help you out later in school, much more so than reviewing the nephron.

4. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I am actually reviewing some things this summer, but more out of interest than any belief that it will be of much help for M2. For instance, some areas of biochem are still kind of mysterious to me, even though I did Ok in the course. So I want to go over some of that at some point (Damn eicosanoids). Other things I just have some enthusiasm about, like neuro. So reading some case studies for that is kinda fun for me. But by no means am I stressing out and locking myself in a library. I plan on having some fun, that's the main goal. Hopefully I'll learn a thing or two as a bonus.

5. Baritonebass

Baritonebass Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I disagree on the grounds that all school are not the same... Our school does organ systems completely so there is no 2nd pass during the 2nd year only a few more systems. so if I didn't learn cardio in jan 2008 and didn't do any review I woun't see it til march of 2009 when I study for boards

6. Orthodoc40

Medical Student
    It's a nice theory, but I just won't have the energy for more studying. Need to do something else - ANYthing else - for a while to recover. That will be my best chance for remembering anything later. :D

7. yohimbine1

Attending Physician
    suckaaa. Actually in retrospect maybe I would have started a qbank and done questions on the subjects I had covered. But yeah right...nobody was thinking about step 1 at that time. Just play video games or something. Or find out how to leave medicine while it's still early...

8. rachmoninov3

rachmoninov3 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    So those who have come before us say that it's not at all important to review over the summer...may I ask how you studied for Step 1?
    If you reviewed over the summer was it easier?
    Did it make any difference?

9. LabMonster

LabMonster Clinically relevant.

Attending Physician
    I recommend reviewing any weak points you had, it will make board study much easier. Be honest - anything you stank up, study it. That way when you see it again, it will be your 3rd time over it and there's a better chance it will stick.

10. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    I actually agree with LabMonster.I sucked big time in biostats so if anything I want to go over that. Besides that, I plan on just thumbing through First Aid to make sure I'm familiar with everything so when I need to annotate stuff, I know exactly where to go. Plus since I took the Anatomy, PHysio, and Histo mock boards this year, and I read review books to get ready for it, I figure that it can't hurt to annoate high yield info from those review books into first aid. But these are all of my tentative plans...who knows what I'll actually do.

11. farnsworth

I'm a pretty dedicated and hardworking student, and I don't recommend studying the summer after M1 year. I recommend putting your energy into something more productive, like research or student groups or volunteering or something. Or relaxing. Seriously, if you burn yourself out, you're going to lose the very thing that'll actually get you the results you want - your energy, passion, and enthusiasm. If you really insist on studying because you'd feel too restless or guilty not doing so, take it easy. Highlight a chapter of BRS physio a week or something. Either way, you're still going to have to go over it all again anyway later on.

Someone asked when to start studying - this probably depends on your class schedule, but I think most good students start studying for boards after they get back from winter break. Just set up a schedule.

12. sprinkibrio

Medical Student
    I'm going to try to review medical spanish but that's it.

13. HEADintheCLOUDS

Banned

Medical Student
    Im going to review yr 1 and start studying Y2 material focusing using boards books. Also doing some research so yeah not really a fun summer.

14. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin

Attending Physician
    your review is going to be pretty useless. The best thing you can do to get ready for second year is to have a relaxing summer. Nothing like not taking a break to make you burnt out during second year.

You want to peak after 2nd year while you are studying for boards. Ending second year with a bit of momentum is a good thing.

15. LabMonster

Attending Physician
    I agree - I did. But I also reviewed a bit ;) Nothing hardcore, but I did shore up weak points.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. GreenShirt

Medical Student
    My school is systems-based, so a lot of what we learn in first year pertains to boards. I plan on casually going through the First Aid book chapters on the systems we've covered over the summer.

18. farnsworth

I think this bears clarification - everything you learn first year pertains to boards. But studying for boards a year ahead of time is a waste of time, in my opinion, unless you have specific concerns about how well you learned something the first time through it (in class). Even so, it's still going out on a limb to say it'll help you to go over it a year ahead of time.

Keep in mind that just as people have regrets about not studying something or using a book or mastering a concept, people have regrets about not taking time off when they should have and instead added to their stress, sacrificed allocated rest time, and didn't really get anything out of it.

I mean like I said, if you really want to, you can and there's a good way to do it, but make sure you're realistic about what you hope it'll yield.

19. mahasanti

HAHAHA... It's kind of funny how so many people are SO against any kind of review over summers... I seriously wonder if these people have some kind of guilt complex, and to rationalize their not studying feel like they need to belittle anyone who thinks reviewing is a good idea.

I do agree that it is good not to get burnt out. And trying to memorize every detail over the summer would not work for me, as my memory just isn't good enough for it to stick until boards (honestly, whose is???)

But to say that reviewing just won't help at all is ridiculous and contradicts every theory of learning out there. Reviewing solidifies memory! That's all there is to it. And, if your school is at all like mine, some subjects were just not taught as well as they should have been. I really don't want the first time I am trying to understand some biochem or embryology concept to be the month before boards.

So am I going to review? Of Course! For me, at least, it would be silly not to.

20. farnsworth

You're right in one sense, you'll find that when you take Step I, you'll be riddled with guilt about a number of things. Did I use the right books? Did I study the right way? Was my review intensive enough? Did I do enough? Realistically, if you did your best and gave your all and had a smart plan, you don't have any real regrets, but you do have some doubts no matter what, I think. Is it possible that all these people are self-conscious and answering based on that? Yes. But honestly, even people who got their scores back already (or in the past) and did extremely well recommend the same thing.

If you really want to review, sure do your thing, but usually when SDN is unanimous in a recommendation, you should at least seriously consider it.

21. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    Or they're all right. When SDN is unanimous, it's not usually wrong.

For the majority of students, studying without motivation will not be very productive studying. I'm taking Step 1 in a week, and I've got the proverbial pedal all the way to the metal, but a year ago, my studying would not have been nearly this intense. Besides, the summer of M1, I had JUST finished half of my classes, which had cumulative finals, so the information was already still there. The only things to review would have been biochem, anatomy and embryo, all of which took me 1-2 days at most to review for the boards. So....I might have saved three days in studying for the boards?

Now, IF YOU DID POORLY the first time around, it wouldn't be a bad thing to learn it in the first place. If you never understood how the kidney worked at all, yes, you should probably remedy that before you start studying for the boards.

22. farnsworth

I would argue that even if you had reviewed biochem, anatomy, and embryo intensively M1 summer, you still would have had to take the 1-2 days to review them again for boards closer to the date. No matter how well I'd mastered biochem M1 year & M1 summer, I'd still have to remind myself of everything a year later, and I don't care who you are, properly going through the FA biochem chapter, plus HY biochem, plus whatever else you use, pretty much takes a full day. The rest I agree with.

Another point of clarification - we're not trying to convince mahasanti not to review during his M1 summer, he is clearly going to do it regardless of what SDN recommends, and maybe he should. But frankly, he's not the person we would seek to help - his approach to our advice has been kind of arrogant and a little insulting. Rather, I think this advice is more for M1's out there who have similar questions and concerns (as we all did) but would have an open mind and benefit from a variety of perspectives & opinions why/why not studying during M1 summer is a good idea who happen to read this thread.

#20 farnsworth, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  23. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    Reviewing the summer between M1 and M2 is an absolute waste of time. It will not help you that much during your second year and it wont help at all for the boards. How anyone who went through the misery of first year can even think about prolonging it through the summer is beyond me but I'd probably order a psych consult if I saw you on my service.

24. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    Guilty? I didn't touch a book between M1 and M2 and did pretty damn well on the boards. People are anti-summer studying because it's a waste of time that generally only serves to expose the gunners or neurotic members of your class.

25. Noeljan

Noeljan Senior Member

Medical Student
    A psych consult? Don't you think you are being a little harsh on the guy? To each his own, if you didn't want to study fine. By calling someone crazy and needinga psych consult if they chose to do so is not good. Also, ever think some people didn't find the year so miserable? My advice, if you don't want to study don't. If you do then go ahead.

26. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    I guess humor doesn't carry over the internet at least not to medstudents.

27. Noeljan

Noeljan Senior Member

Medical Student
    lol sorry if you were being humerous:)

28. mahasanti

I really am glad you did well on the boards. What I meant about the guilt is that I think some people feel threatened when they see a fellow classmate with their "First Aid for Step I" out. I'm guessing they think something like, "Oh my gosh, Billy is already studying for the boards... I should be too!!!" And so, to kind of convince themselves that they don't need to be worrying about it, they go tell Billy that it is stupid to start studying this early...

Why can't we just all let people do what will work for them??? I mean, I appreciate the advice, and I think you all are right that the really hard core studying right before you take them is what really counts, but it is also true that different learning styles work for different people!!!

Like I was saying earlier... I really liked First year (OK I'm a nerd...), and there are a few subjects that I feel I should get a little more comfortable with before I move on. How can you say it is a complete waste of time to master material that one didn't quite grasp??? Will I go over it again when I really start studying? Of course... but that time around I am hoping it will be that much easier.

And thanks for the offer of the psych consult... I might take you up on that sometime.:laugh:

29. joe6102

joe6102 by the power of grayskull

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup:
    It worked for me. I was below average first year, so I studied ahead that summer and it really helped me out. This post is right about memory - the more times you go over it, the more you will remember later. I don't think anyone can argue that point. But will it make a difference? I think it will help in your M2 grades AND your step 1 score. You have to decide for yourself if you will get burned out from extra studying, or if your time would be better spent in research. In hindsight, I would have been better off with some solid research than with that extra 10%ile in class rank and 10 points on step 1.

30. LabMonster

Attending Physician
    I think the other point being missed is this: it never really stops. Your "reviewing" will shift from basic science to clinical applications in the literature - but most articles are do a basic science review and then describe the findings...

So we will always be reviewing in some capacity - and that's not a bad thing;)

31. FoundationsFan5

FoundationsFan5 morning person

Medical Student
    Recently finished MS1, and I can't possibly think of one good reason to review or learn ANYTHING MS1/MS2 during the free summer in between. I've just spent my first "summer" week doing research, which will continue the whole summer.

The rest of the time this past week has been devoted to TV, fun, drinking, eating, chillaxing, sitting on my ass indoors and outdoors, working out, and some errands at a nice slow pace. There was definitely a LITTLE time for these things during MS1, but during the summer now there has been plenty of time for excess of all these non-school things, and therein lies the happiness.

32. LabMonster

Attending Physician
    And this is the way it goes. At the end of your first year, no matter your curriculum, review your anatomy - it will serve you well. Anatomy is a subject you will not only be pimped on, but a subject that is very important to your physician-hood.

Have fun your MS1 summer, but don't forget you're entering a profession adhering to an unspoken & spoken/regulated culture of education. You can relax at the beach, sip a margarita, and, review dermatomes, vascular supply to the anterior abdominal wall etc, ad infinitum...

My point is this: unless you know EVERYTHING that was covered during your 1st year, or second year, you should read or review. Who gives a damn about a score when you'll have patients depending on your knowledge base - a base that can never be too wide.

33. 78222

78222 Guest

Medical Student
    bull****. Sorry spending the summer reviewing anatomy is fairly useless as it's something quickly forgotten and incredibly low yield for M2 (and the boards). Not to say knowledge of anatomy isn't useful but it's not that useful unless you are going into surgery and even then, it's something you will review on service. And I can count the number of times i've been pimped on anatomy by someone other than a surgeon on one hand (one finger actually).

And I'll further state that 80% of what you learned first year was almost entirely useless clinically. Knowing every detail of the Krebs cycle is going to do absolutely nothing for your clinical knowledge base.

Take the summer to relax and unwind after what is probably the crappiest year of medschool. I swear, if I saw a classmate reviewing his anatomy on the beach I would probably never stop making fun of him. What a useless waste of time that will do nothing but prove that you have OCD.

34. greg1184

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I would say to enjoy the final real summer break you will have.... ever.

35. ZagDoc

ZagDoc Ears, Noses, and Throats

Resident [Any Field]
    My 'review' this summer entails spending time with some physicians in various specialties and doing a couple shifts down at the free clinic. Trying to log around 4-8 hours a week in clinic or on the wards. The fear of appearing to be an idiot is sufficient motivation to do a little bit of reading and since everything is clinical things tend to stick pretty well (or so I've found so far). It's also a good way to get exposure to different specialties since I still have no idea what the f#@k area of medicine I want to go into yet. At very least it keeps the brain from gathering dust, since I already subject it to way too much beer and trashy reality television for its own good.

But as for sitting down with a review book to 'study'... I definitely agree it is not a wise or productive use of time. Without the fear of god (exams) in you, its hard to muster the effort to do any productive learning.

36. LabMonster

Attending Physician
    Wow. I don't remember saying anything about the Krebs cycle... I do think knowing shoulder anatomy is useful in the elderly, as are antibiotics and many other basic science topics that easily cross over to clinical knowledge.

Studying everything is a waste of time, but I didn't recommend that.

BTW - you're learning to manage patients, not manage pimp sessions.

37. Jwax

Jwax Just a minor variation

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup: Kinda how I look at summer-studiers.... that or two other options: 1) they failed a class and are repeating it over the summer in order to advance with the class, or 2) they almost failed it and feel that if they don't make it click they will bomb the boards or something along those lines. Otherwise, it just seems neurotic/gunnerish.

My summer reviewing has come strictly in the form of whatever I have come across while doing research that I know I should know (like hypercortisolism / Cushings presentation or hypopituitarism), but have forgotten. I've also looked up any clinical cases we've had that I didn't know about (like Waterhouse-Friderichsen syndrome) and written it down in my summer research log in order to maybe keep it in my head. I admit that I've considered reviewing some of anatomy b/c I am interested in surgery and would really like to have everything solidified in my head long before surgical rotations, but the chances of this happening are slim.

Plus, I am a firm believer in anything that is important that we need to know will be taught, re-taught, and re-re-taught. Summer is for making some extra cash, taking vacations, seeing family and friends, and killing brain cells. :hardy:

38. dnr

dnr

Medical Student

I agree! Last year, as first year was approaching, I had a plan of rigorously studying over the summer between M1 and M2. Now that the summer is here, all I want to do is hang out with the gf on a beach and sleep 10 hours a day. Once a week, I shadow an anesthesiologist (the rest of the week he is an airline pilot!!).

Since I was so burned out from year one, relaxing was essential! Now, I am so refreshed that I actually can't wait for second year to begin so I can start studying again.

Enjoy your time off.