SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

M1 summer STEP1 studying: any advice?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by fizzbot, May 2, 2007.

1. fizzbot

fizzbot Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2004
    I sort of broached this topic in another thread but I figured it was worthy of a standalone thread. I am about to start M1 summer and I wanted to review all of the subjects I learned this year, I was going to emphasize phys since path builds so heavily upon it.

Any advice?
    Things you wish you had done?

Just figured I would ask, I hope all you M2's are doing well.
    Sincerely,
    Fizz

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. guitarguy09

guitarguy09 Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Northeast
    You may want to do a search because I believe you'll find some additional threads about this. Many people in my class did research or an externship, but this is obviously not mandatory. If I could do it over again I would probably have read BRS Phys in the last couple weeks before school started (before Path). That being said, you have to keep in mind that this is your last summer EVER! So try to enjoy it before it's gone for good!!

(That last point is the most important, even though it may not seem like it. While sitting here studying for finals/boards, I've definitely come to this realization!)

4. sweatybrain

sweatybrain Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2004
    advice: don't do it.

The chance that you will retain anything you learned a year from now is minimal. Try doing research or something. :)

5. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned Banned

Oct 1, 2006
    Aren't you a gunner. I bet you studied your a$$ off on your summer ... :laugh:

6. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN 7+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    MDApps:
    i plan on just skimming stuff. Keep stuff fresh in your head. Don't plan to study too hard because you will just end up not doing it anyway. Maybe do some questions if you have a good source (i'm prob gonna do BRS physiology cases and problems)

7. ginger60

ginger60 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Don't study. Enjoy your summer. If for some reason you aren't taking full advantage of your last summer and have time to kill, you could read 1 or maybe 2 light review books (perhaps on phys or micro) to refamiliarize yourself with what you've already learned, although I honestly think that its best to review the phys when you learn the path as an MS2 so you can integrate. The weeks before my exam, I couldn't remember the things I had reviewed 3 months before boards, let alone what I had read the summer before. The only thing that I read was micro made ridiculously simple because it wasn't too academic, and I don't regret not doing more because I think that giving myself a good break made me better able to jump back in and really concentrate on my second year without burning out.

8. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class Physician 10+ Year Member

May 21, 2004
    Read something quick and easy. I read Dubins ECG since we were instructed to read that over the summer and also CMMRS since I didn't have enough time to study for micro.

9. VincentAdultman

VincentAdultman Senior Member Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2005
    New York
    I wish I played more beer-pong. I suck!

10. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才 Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    Don't do it.

If you must...don't do it.

If you still can't resist, make sure you have a plan to implement some kind of repetitive spacing review into your M2 year, or you're wasting your time.

I think if I had spent my whole post-M1 summer preparing, I would have scored 0 points higher.

11. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才 Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    Oh, the one thing that could help would be to read some old threads on this forum and figure out what your study plan is going to be down the road when reviewing will actually be useful.

12. Old_Mil

Old_Mil Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Earth
    Get Goljan's Rapid Review Path book. The first 7 or so chapters correspond with what you learned first year. Read them until you can repeat the information in there perfectly if you're woken out of a dead sleep at 4am.

The big lie about M2 - you actually have time to study for boards second semester.

13. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc. 10+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2004
    The Best Coast
    okay I'm going to go against the grain on this one. I studied for step 1 the summer after m1. I was doing path research which was hella kick back and I got paid. During the down time between autopsies and slide sign out, which I had plenty of, I read goljans review of path (~2 hours a day 4 days/week). I also listened to goljans lectures that summer while working out to reinforce what I read in his book. This helped me not seem so clueless when getting pimped during autopsy and slide readings, and helped me do better 2nd year as well as on step 1.

I'll be the first to admit I'm just an average guy when it comes to academics, but I wanted to do really well on step 1 since my school is p/f, and to keep my options open for residency. So in order for me to do well I've go to put in a much greater effort then the next guy to do just as well. So if you u are like me and want to do well then do it. But if you are like the other studs on sdn who can study for mcat or step 1 in 4 weeks and get 2 SDs above the mean with this little effort then don't bother and enjoy ur summer.