M1's on Traditional Curriculum, Which Qbanks Over Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you M1's on a traditional curriculum, have any of you focused on doing Qbanks this summer? If so, which ones have you found to be the most helpful (and doable given our lack of pathology knowledge)?

Members don't see this ad.

Rx gets my vote, although without pathology knowledge it will be hard. Do it anyway, start the learning process early.

It makes a perfect companion for ZANKI or FA to ensure you can apply the facts to clinical scenarios.

Save UW for dedicated.

I would also get through Sketchy Micro & the lolnotacop ANKI deck. Even if you don’t do ZANKI I would at least try lol’s. If you hate ANKI then just quiz yourself with the PDF document.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been using AMBOSS. It’s been tough but I’m definitely learning a lot. The AMBOSS anki add-on has been huge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been using AMBOSS. It’s been tough but I’m definitely learning a lot. The AMBOSS anki add-on has been huge.

Have you also used USMLE-Rx? If so how do they compare?

I've only got the money for either Amboss of Rx atm, and hoping to start one soon. The anki add-on alone has me leaning Amboss.

I've only got the money for either Amboss of Rx atm, and hoping to start one soon. The anki add-on alone has me leaning Amboss.
I have AMBOSS and I LOVE it . The explanation are great , and I love how the system is set up . Plus it includes all shelves and step 2.

I haven't used USMLE-Rx. I've read that it's kind of a regurgitation of FA facts and questions are written by students(?). Maybe someone can clarify... but I figured since I'm already using Zanki and reviewing FA it would be repetitive.

AMBOSS has been great and it has definitely improved my knowledge on a lot of subjects. Highly recommend. I am also using Kaplan as a burner Q-bank as I go through systems which has been very good. Really hits micro well.

I haven't used USMLE-Rx. I've read that it's kind of a regurgitation of FA facts and questions are written by students(?). Maybe someone can clarify... but I figured since I'm already using Zanki and reviewing FA it would be repetitive.

I'm doing Rx right now and like someone on reddit said, FA in question form (which is what Rx is), is just different from Zanki, which is FA in flashcard form. It's really been another form of spaced repetition (especially since I've been doing it on random) and active recall, which has been synergistic for solidifying my knowledge. Also, it's one thing to know something, but it's another to apply it to clinical scenarios, which Rx has allowed me to do.

I say this as someone that was seriously considering foregoing Rx at first because I thought it would be redundant, but it's been helpful and I'm running through Zanki even faster now. I'm aiming for 10,000+ qs as well.

Reactions: 2 users

AMBOSS has been great and it has definitely improved my knowledge on a lot of subjects. Highly recommend. I am also using Kaplan as a burner Q-bank as I go through systems which has been very good. Really hits micro well.
Would you recommend Kaplan Q banks alongside the system for a traditional curriculum or save them for year 2?

Also going to be in a traditional curriculum. I love QBanks, and have been eyeing Amboss due to the whole system + anki addon seems clutch.

I know this question is for M1/M2 summer but would anyone recommend alongside classes during M1?

Would you recommend Kaplan Q banks alongside the system for a traditional curriculum or save them for year 2?

Also going to be in a traditional curriculum. I love QBanks, and have been eyeing Amboss due to the whole system + anki addon seems clutch.

I know this question is for M1/M2 summer but would anyone recommend alongside classes during M1?

In my opinion, it just comes down to personal choice. Depending on when you guys hit path, if you're okay with not knowing the pathology necessary to answer qs from most banks, then I don't really see too much of an issue. The thing is that it'll take considerably longer to properly review the questions because you'll be seeing explanations for stuff you've never heard of and lack context for. You will also be unable to make/enhance strong connections to an absent knowledge base. If you're cool with that, go ahead.

But I'll say that if you really want to start a qbank during M1, I heard that Kaplan allows you to focus on pure phys, which is learnt in M1.

Reactions: 3 users
In my opinion, it just comes down to personal choice. Depending on when you guys hit path, if you're okay with not knowing the pathology necessary to answer qs from most banks, then I don't really see too much of an issue. The thing is that it'll take considerably longer to properly review the questions because you'll be seeing explanations for stuff you've never heard of and lack context for. You will also be unable to make/enhance strong connections to an absent knowledge base. If you're cool with that, go ahead.

But I'll say that if you really want to start a qbank during M1, I heard that Kaplan allows you to focus on pure phys, which is learnt in M1.

Thanks for the input! I applied for the Amboss Access Scholarship if I happen to get it I'll go that route but if not sounds like Kaplan will a nice supplement to M1

I'm doing Rx right now and like someone on reddit said, FA in question form (which is what Rx is), is just different from Zanki, which is FA in flashcard form. It's really been another form of spaced repetition (especially since I've been doing it on random) and active recall, which has been synergistic for solidifying my knowledge. Also, it's one thing to know something, but it's another to apply it to clinical scenarios, which Rx has allowed me to do.

I say this as someone that was seriously considering foregoing Rx at first because I thought it would be redundant, but it's been helpful and I'm running through Zanki even faster now. I'm aiming for 10,000+ qs as well.

Appreciate that - I will definitely look into USMLE Rx if I get through AMBOSS, Kaplan, and Robbins. The rate I'm going, I think it's very possible I'll have to use it.

Yeah, just to echo what was stated above.. definitely a personal choice and depends on your curriculum. My school has a systems-based curriculum and my goal is to complete all the Kaplan Q's for the system prior to finishing the block. It really solidifies high yield info. Once I am beyond a block I continue to do practice questions on that system using AMBOSS. But yeah, if you have a traditional curriculum there will definitely be a lot of information that you won't know about and will be lacking context.

Reactions: 1 users
Appreciate that - I will definitely look into USMLE Rx if I get through AMBOSS, Kaplan, and Robbins. The rate I'm going, I think it's very possible I'll have to use it.

For sure man. Yeah, I was originally planning to incorporate the Robbins path questions as my first "qbank", but I just decided to say screw it and dive right in to Rx, lol. I figure that the info from Robbins is more granular, and I just need to get a solid base first. If I end up having extra time, that might be one of the resources I go through along with Pixorize, sketchy path, Physeo, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think that Amboss is relatively useless for first year in a traditional curriculum. You don’t know enough to be able to properly learn from the questions.

I think that Amboss is relatively useless for first year in a traditional curriculum. You don’t know enough to be able to properly learn from the questions.

What if someone do med school path during a SMP and went through pathoma 2x? I'd normally say itd be worth the extra reinforcement but with Step 1 99.98% going P/F for c/o 2024 sounds like itd be overkill to reinforce from day 1.

Actually going over it now will probably just stick with BRS/Guyton/Pretest for the year and not worry about things like Kaplan/Amboss/Rx until summer or later.

... that anki addon doh may be worth it

Guys, I am taking WAY TOO LONG when reviewing questions after finishing. This is due to low % correct, and also I am trying to take notes on everything. Is this normal? Or should I just move on faster?