m2 freaking out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatsucksss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys im an m2 and i take my step1 in mid june. the problem is i have barely started! i dont know what happened but the days are just melting by and i am only through like 150 pages of the FA book. I am too broke to afford the USMLE world Qbank until the next loan check comes in so i havent started those yet either! i am going through each page of FA and feeling like i have to wiki every vocab word. i dont know whats going on anymore... im just completely overwhelmed.

im going to keep trying 100% until the test but what if im truly not ready? is it reasonable to take a year off and like do research/ get a masters while studying for step1?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys im an m2 and i take my step1 in mid june. the problem is i have barely started! i dont know what happened but the days are just melting by and i am only through like 150 pages of the FA book. I am too broke to afford the USMLE world Qbank until the next loan check comes in so i havent started those yet either! i am going through each page of FA and feeling like i have to wiki every vocab word. i dont know whats going on anymore... im just completely overwhelmed.

im going to keep trying 100% until the test but what if im truly not ready? is it reasonable to take a year off and like do research/ get a masters while studying for step1?

I didn't do anything before 5/18. Took the test 6/21. You'll be fine. Focus on your classes for now. Do not take a year off (most schools require that you pass step 1 before starting your extracurricular endeavour-- e.g. MD/PhD's).

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do anything before 5/18. Took the test 6/21. You'll be fine. Focus on your classes for now. Do not take a year off (most schools require that you pass step 1 before starting your extracurricular endeavour-- e.g. MD/PhD's).

I dont know how you were able to do that but i wish i could be that good... im looking around at my classmates and they are all so much further than me and no matter how hard i study its just not enough it seems.

I studied for 8 weeks; doing all of Kaplan videos, crushing Kaplan Qbank, and USMLE world. I got a 248.

My close friend did the same thing. Got a 262.

Another dude I know studied for one month (with little other than class-work studying throughout the year) got a 246.

My significant other tried to do what I did and got a 208.

The bottom line is that everyone has their schedule and their potential. The absolute WORST thing you can do is begin to evaluate your own studying based on other people.

Stop. Calm down. Plan. It doesnt even matter HOW you plan, so long as you have one. If you are going to get two passes through First Aid dedicated, and one pass through U World, you are going to pass. Finding the right book, the right strategy, the right schedule is a waste of time. Trying each one out or comparing your strategy to that of your classmates has two major effects. First, it zaps your emotional battery, making what little studying you actually get done worthless. Much better to focus your energy on studying, not worrying. Second, it consumed valuable time you could have otherwise spent actually studying. Numerous surveys at my school and through the Office of Medical Education Joint Programs have showed that every student has their own system, and that no one system is superior for any one student (I had multiple null results in my medical education research). So what becomes important is that you make a schedule, any schedule, and stick with it.

You are going to pass. Remember Step 1 is not a marker of your intelligence. It is not a marker of your medical knowledge. It is most definitely not a measure of how good a physician you will be. It is one event that needs to be trained for. Train for the test, get a great score.

I studied for 8 weeks; doing all of Kaplan videos, crushing Kaplan Qbank, and USMLE world. I got a 248.

My close friend did the same thing. Got a 262.

Another dude I know studied for one month (with little other than class-work studying throughout the year) got a 246.

My significant other tried to do what I did and got a 208.

The bottom line is that everyone has their schedule and their potential. The absolute WORST thing you can do is begin to evaluate your own studying based on other people.

Stop. Calm down. Plan. It doesnt even matter HOW you plan, so long as you have one. If you are going to get two passes through First Aid dedicated, and one pass through U World, you are going to pass. Finding the right book, the right strategy, the right schedule is a waste of time. Trying each one out or comparing your strategy to that of your classmates has two major effects. First, it zaps your emotional battery, making what little studying you actually get done worthless. Much better to focus your energy on studying, not worrying. Second, it consumed valuable time you could have otherwise spent actually studying. Numerous surveys at my school and through the Office of Medical Education Joint Programs have showed that every student has their own system, and that no one system is superior for any one student (I had multiple null results in my medical education research). So what becomes important is that you make a schedule, any schedule, and stick with it.

You are going to pass. Remember Step 1 is not a marker of your intelligence. It is not a marker of your medical knowledge. It is most definitely not a measure of how good a physician you will be. It is one event that needs to be trained for. Train for the test, get a great score.

damn. fantastic post. Did you do very well in MS1 and MS2 classes? Though, I do feel that spending that short of a time to study for Step 1 only really works for people who've done really well in their classes and can naturally retain a lot. What do you think?

I haven't read a single page of FA and I'm taking it in the first week of May, if it makes you feel better. And I'm confident I'll do very well.

The above post is a good one. I see everyone else around me ripping through FA and studying all this stuff...it's hard not to get wrapped up in the madness. But I need to study path, and pharm, and do well in those classes, now. My classmates might know FA, but I'll have Goljan and Kaplan down pat. Study time is all conserved in the long run, and I honestly think it really comes down to what you do in the last month or two before the exam, not how much stuff you saw and forgot over the course of the year at the expense of the MS2 courses...and your sanity...and your energy level. I'm also a strong believer that the heavy FA annotating is a total waste of time. But that's just me. If the whole world wants to go out and memorize FA word for word, let em do it. At the end of the day I'm convinced this test is not designed for the entire class of future doctors to go out full of anxiety and memorize the crap out of one single book.

Anyway, you have more than enough time. You made it to and through the first half of med school...you are more than capable of re-learning the contents of a ~400 page book in 8 weeks. Don't let others' strategies get you down.

Last edited:
damn. fantastic post. Did you do very well in MS1 and MS2 classes?

I did do well in MS1 and MS2. I was top 20 percent or something close. We don't have an official class rank at our school, just quartiles, upper quartile divided into 5% brackets. That being said, I was forced to relearn literally everything except path, since our school believes in the "teach for the best, not the test," mentality. They get the "teach not for the test" part really well. Teach for the best... well not so much.

Though, I do feel that spending that short of a time to study for Step 1 only really works for people who've done really well in their classes and can naturally retain a lot. What do you think?

8 weeks is NOT a short amount of time. I took two months dedicated to nothing but step studying, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I meant to emphasize how LONG i studied for, to no avail. I probably peaked somewhere around 6 weeks, but just kept going suffering some burnout.

4 weeks is about the average. Though I suspect that people who study for one month have been training/preparing during their ms2 year with questions or first aid reviews, and use the 4 weeks dedicated to first aid review and questions. This guy claims no, but can I really trust every detail he says? This was part of a panel we have for second year students, and, as a third year talking to second years, there is still some degree of posturing (trying to look better than he really was, but I can only presume).

Just wanted a little blue box to shift the flow from the response quotes to a new topic, below

Again, I do not want to push the OP towards any one method. Finding the style that fits the learner is critical (if the learner can only handle 8 hours a day 5 days a week, then thats what the learner should do). I will say however that for step 1, First Aid and Questions are aboslutely 100% essential and non-negotiable.

Keep in mind "doing first aid" does not mean coasting through it. It is written so that every word is meaningful and has value for the test. This is why questions are so important, and, as part of doing questions, notes are taken in first aid (it forces you to write down information you didnt know, look at the information in first aid again, and link the two mentally).

I wish the OP an everyone else taking Step 1 this season the best of luck. It was literally the worst period of medical school BY FAR. Once you are on the other side of the hump you can start doing what you wanted to do in the first place: take care of patients. Even though you will spend 12 hours a day following around some one who probably doesn't want you following them, the satisfaction of being out of a classroom and not in a Prometric testing center is so huge, it really doesn't matter. Things are about to get SO much better.

Last edited:
Dude chill. At this point you should be casually studying if at all. Anything you get done before the last month or so is bonus.

Especially on this first pass, you SHOULD be looking up every word and concept you don't know. Annotate that First Aid. Reword it. FACT CHECK IT. Use your other sources. Really learn it now, so that last month is just review. The point of First Aid is not to memorize it. You should use it as a framework for your study. If there is a section you don't get, read other sources, like Goljan.

That said, don't forget to do well in your courses. Studying for them will not be time wasted.

At this point 150 pgs of FA is a decent amount.

I took my exam last June. Started doing questions in January, didn't start hitting FA hard until April.

Right now my advice would be to find a way to get a q bank now and start doing questions relevant to class material. Read FA and Goljan sections that are relevant to class material. Annotate from the q bank into FA.

Right now the biggest things are making sure you learn the 2nd year material well and getting familiar with the question style and test taking strategy.

When people say read "Goljan", that just means RR Path?

I dont know how you were able to do that but i wish i could be that good... im looking around at my classmates and they are all so much further than me and no matter how hard i study its just not enough it seems.

There lies your problem. You are comparing yourself to others. Forget about everything for a day or two (if it's doable), go sleep, eat and do something fun. Come back recharged and start devising a plan. You only need 3-5 weeks to study for Step 1 and you are stressing way too early. Just focus on your classes and for God's sakes don't look around you and compare yourself to others.

Those of you who have taken it - what were your starting stats (%) on Uworld?

Those of you who have taken it - what were your starting stats (%) on Uworld?

1st pass - started in the low 60's and ended high 60's/low 70's. My 1st pass started 6 months before my exam date and finished everything except for some anatomy and biochem

2nd pass during the month before my exam- ~90%

I kinda feel the way the OP does, but I am more concerned with the fact that I feel I barely squeaked by biochem during first year.

What would you recommend for strengthening biochem prior to step 1? I will be doing DIT in June and USMLE on July 13.

wow thanks for the responses guys. so ive made a plan to try to study 10-12 hours a day every day (we'll see how long this lasts) but i just feel that im a much slower reader than the average med student so i need as much time as possible. im just so worried about burning out.

I kinda feel the way the OP does, but I am more concerned with the fact that I feel I barely squeaked by biochem during first year.

What would you recommend for strengthening biochem prior to step 1? I will be doing DIT in June and USMLE on July 13.

Gojan has an awesome Biochemistry review book too. If you like his RR then you will like this.

the end of 2nd year was the most stressful part of medical school. just take a deep breath. you still have a LOT of time. i would definitely recommend you go into (more) debt to purchase a question bank. it will pay off in the end

Please, please, calm down. Take a deep breath and realize that you're by no means behind the ball. Step 1 is not the hardest test you will ever take. You should not even be studying yet if you're taking it in June. Just enjoy your classes and free time for now. If I were you, I would start casually studying in April and ramp it up over the next few months. At most, buy a 3 month subscription to USMLEWorld, listen to Goljan and maybe use FA, or don't -- it's really kind of poorly set up as the "central" resource most people use it as. If you got through 150 pages of FA, then you got through way more than I ever did.

i would definitely recommend you go into (more) debt to purchase a question bank. it will pay off in the end

For sure. They're that popular for a reason... and OP, you're 12+ weeks out from the exam. No worries.