M2 - Physical Exam and Diagnosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith777

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

We're just starting the Physical Exam and Diagnosis module and I was wondering if there was a kind of "High Yield" or "Rapid Review" or some other kind of summary book that people can use to cut through alot of the BS in our textbook.

Obviously, the "textbook" for the course is Bates' Guide to the Physical Exam, but I'm looking for more of a high yield review book, kind of like "First Aid" for the USMLE Step I, except for the physical exam and diagnosis course.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, just read Bates or the pocket Bates. Honestly, each chapter is a pretty quick read with tons of pictures, and the illustrations are actually pretty helpful. The clinical correlates in the margins are very helpful, especially for pre-exam review. You can skip the epid/health maint/etc parts and cut to the meaty parts of the chapter, unless you are interested in the material covered there (for example, you are interested in primary care). The anatomy reviews are worth taking the time to go over.

I read my full-sized Bates cover to cover over the course of the year, and did fine in my PE&D course. That said, there were many people who didn't read much out of Bates and did equally well. I found it helpful. And it's been useful during 3rd year as well, especially when I can't remember stuff like how to do the obturator or psoas test.

Eh, just read Bates or the pocket Bates. Honestly, each chapter is a pretty quick read with tons of pictures, and the illustrations are actually pretty helpful. The clinical correlates in the margins are very helpful, especially for pre-exam review. You can skip the epid/health maint/etc parts and cut to the meaty parts of the chapter, unless you are interested in the material covered there (for example, you are interested in primary care). The anatomy reviews are worth taking the time to go over.

I read my full-sized Bates cover to cover over the course of the year, and did fine in my PE&D course. That said, there were many people who didn't read much out of Bates and did equally well. I found it helpful. And it's been useful during 3rd year as well, especially when I can't remember stuff like how to do the obturator or psoas test.
Wow you guys have a course called physical exam and diagnosis?? How long is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the pocket version of Bates. It cuts out all the text and just focuses on the exams and pertinent findings. Also fits in your white coat pocket.

To above poster: My school actually has a year-long Medical Skills course that meets for 4hrs/week during the first year. Very intensive, but so worth it now that we're doing clinicals.

we integrate exams in with all of our blocks starting in M1. since we haven't learned path yet, Bates is way TOO wordy for learning the basics of each exam.

i'll check out pocket Bates, but i'd be interested to learn if there are any other resources out there as well.

Pocket Bates simplifies a lot of stuff to what you really need to know clinically, though if your school is like mine, they might pull out random facts from "full-size" Bates for the knowledge exam.

Im going to be wierd as usual and say I'm not a fan of Bates. There are some questionable statements, and the explanations of some things was kinda confusing to me... (like rinne and weber tests, and liver size)

Try "Textbook of Physical Diagnosis" by Swartz

Realistically (in terms of what you will actually end doing on the wards), you'll learn all you need to know about general physical exam skills from the tutorial you receive from whoever is lecturing you. Little tricks (e.g. listening at the L 4th-5th intercostal space at the mid- to axillary line for mitral regurg) I tended to pick up more on rotation by asking residents, fellows and especially attendings. Bates is cool too. But I wouldn't feel compelled to buy anything more than that.