M3: Choosing AIs/sub-Is soon. Need help narrowing my residency choice/pathway (Peds/child neuro/derm)

Aug 19, 2019
Status
  1. Medical Student
I'm about done with my core M3 rotations and need to have a specific residency in mind soonish cause that affects AIs, Sub-Is, LORs, etc. Have to schedule my 4th year early January. And with the chance of COVID delaying things I want to be very careful with my planning.

Career interests:
  • I really like working with kids and their families. #1 priority.
  • Non-interventional, more outpatient but maybe some inpatient
  • I like longitudinal care, counseling, teaching, physical exam, medical therapy
  • I prefer shorter training time. Don't care much about money. Will have average debt ($240k at start of residency)
  • Prefer opportunities for teaching from more clinical perspective and academic environment but also no high research pressure.
  • Specific fields: I like interpreting imaging but also like talking to patients. I do neuro research and like it. Also some intrinsic interest in sports medicine.
Stats are ~260 Step 1, several pubs in child neuro/neurosurg, volunteering.

Options I'm considering are:
  • Peds (3-6yr). Can do primary care, 1 year sports med fellowship w/ primary care, several options for 3 year fellowships
  • Child Neuro (5yr). Much easier route than Peds first. Most interesting field to me, some imaging too. But seems very sad to me honestly with how many things can't be fixed. Can't do child neuro rotation until later in 4th year.
  • Derm w fellowship (4yr)
  • Rad w fellowship (6yr)
  • Psych w fellowship (5yr)
Having a tough time especially deciding between peds and child neuro since neuro is such a commitment! Appreciate any input.

Last edited:

cookiegrub

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2016
Status
  1. Medical Student
I say go with peds and dont look back. You could also do derm with fellowship but harder match with many research pubs

Last edited:

Tangerine123

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
Career interests:
  • I really like working with kids and families. #1 priority.
  • Non-interventional, more outpatient but maybe some inpatient
  • I like longitudinal care, counseling, teaching, physical exam, medical therapy
  • I prefer shorter training time. Don't care much about money. Will have average debt ($240k at start of residency)
Family Medicine 👍🏻

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

radsisrad

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2016
Status
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
You get the same advice from me as I always give to these Qs: fight tooth, nail, and claw to get a derm spot.

Reactions: 1 user

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
You get the same advice from me as I always give to these Qs: fight tooth, nail, and claw to get a derm spot.
To each their own. I would literally kill myself if I had to be a dermatologist. Even for 500k+ and 40 hrs with no call.

Reactions: 1 user

zero0

5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2014
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Psych and rads are both not terrible options

Derm too but with none of the checkboxes filled other than step score I don't think you'll have much luck there, at least apply with back up

Peds is floundering, terrible job market

Neuro is a hard no for me personally

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads