M3 Selective in Field of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgquestion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

DO student (OMS-II) here. Currently scheduling 3rd year rotations, and I have the chance to do a 4-wk elective in the surgical specialty I am aiming for at a highly ranked program with well-known faculty. My dilemma is which month I should schedule the rotation for.

Considerations I can think of:
-To be clear, I'm not hoping to be granted an away rotation or an interview from this place come 4th year. What I do think I could gain is a letter/research/advice on which programs to aim for/calls being made on my behalf (none of these are a given, obviously)
-Applications for 4th yr away rotations are accepted in April/May. Should I do the rotation as close to that time as possible, so that I'm fresh in their mind and have a better chance of getting any help they're willing to offer?
-Unsure of how heavily impacted my experience would be by MS-IVs who are there doing aways. Even though applications for away rotations are accepted for all blocks, is there a point in the year when no students are doing aways anymore (in the competitive surgical specialties)? Would I have a better chance to shine if I do the rotation late in the year, or are there going to be students doing aways no matter which month it is?

-Argument for doing it early (Oct/Nov): The biggest reason is research. If the possibility exists for me to hop on an abstract or a paper, that would be a big help since I have little research. Granted, this may not even be an opportunity they give me. Is there anything else to gain by doing the rotation in Oct/Nov that I may not be aware of?
-Argument for doing it later (Feb/Mar): Possibly would get to do more if there are no 4th yrs doing aways by then, and thus, look more impressive. Also would be fresh in their minds when I ask for advice/help on applying for aways in April/May. If I do the rotation too early in the year, I worry about losing that open line of communication.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd do it early. In addition to the ability to do research with them, you also can maintain that connection longitudinally by showing up every once in a while when you're on an easier service and scrubbing in/observing. This way when it comes time to apply they'll be more likely to help you in terms of pointing out residencies that are more DO-friendly or even maybe by giving you a leg up to an away at their institution.

I know you said in your original post this was not your intention, but at the same point since you're a DO student I assume you don't have a home department, so any networking can only help you. Unless you suck of course, in which case its all a moot point.

Reactions: 1 user