• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

stronghold

5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi guys. I am M3 student and have been offered a summer research position with a salary of $1700/month. Is this the usual range and I have to accept it? My main work would be data entering for prospective researches. The faculty told me that it is not sure if I can participate in research project or not since the work load would be huge! But he said he will try to to see if something could work! so the main work would not be to get a pub or LOR! The institution and the division are very big names (top #5)
Go for it or not?

Thanks

Last edited:

DrSnips

Hospitalist
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi guys, I have been offered a summer research position with a salary of $1700/month. Is this the usual range and I have to accept it? I am in my third year.

Thanks

Those aren't so much salaries as stipends. The idea is that you are getting a publication and/or LOR out of it as well. The money is just a bonus.

stronghold

5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My main work would be data entering for prospective researches. The faculty told me that it is not sure if I can participate in research project or not since the work load would be huge! But he said he will try to to see if something could work! so the main work would not be to get a pub or LOR! Go for it or not?

About the Ads

TAWS

Jun 5, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The great thing about getting paid in med school is that it's all tax free due to the lifetime learning credit.

TAWS

Jun 5, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Wait what. Or do you jest?

It's true. I just did my taxes and got all of my money refunded that was witheld from my stipend. You get up to a $2000 tax credit for any income tax that you had to pay. This applies to any full time student. Since no one in med school pays more than $2000 in income tax in a year, all of your income from research/stipends is basically tax-free.

Frazier

Palliative Emergentologist
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
It's true. I just did my taxes and got all of my money refunded that was witheld from my stipend. You get up to a $2000 tax credit for any income tax that you had to pay. This applies to any full time student. Since no one in med school pays more than $2000 in income tax in a year, all of your income from research/stipends is basically tax-free.

Great news! I just saved a bunch of money on my stipend taxes by switching to TAWS.
gecko-tampabay.com_.jpeg

CatFactorial

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
it's true. I just did my taxes and got all of my money refunded that was witheld from my stipend. You get up to a $2000 tax credit for any income tax that you had to pay. This applies to any full time student. Since no one in med school pays more than $2000 in income tax in a year, all of your income from research/stipends is basically tax-free.
oh blagaarrrgh!

Too late now I suppose.

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi guys. I am M3 student and have been offered a summer research position with a salary of $1700/month. Is this the usual range and I have to accept it? My main work would be data entering for prospective researches. The faculty told me that it is not sure if I can participate in research project or not since the work load would be huge! But he said he will try to to see if something could work! so the main work would not be to get a pub or LOR! Go for it or not?

Thanks
I'm not sure this is worth it...this is the usual range for a student researcher on stipend, but without giving you publications or an LOR he is essentially making you a hired hand, a clinical research assistant or coordinator. Those people make 30k a year, or 2500 a month...with benefits and no overtime...

stronghold

5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for your inputs guys, but you made me more confused, especially, the last reply! The institution and the division are very big names (top #5).

The other option I have, is to go for away rotations but you know they are unpaid and so more expenses!
I have to decide within few days :S

Last edited:

Sheldor

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm not sure this is worth it...this is the usual range for a student researcher on stipend, but without giving you publications or an LOR he is essentially making you a hired hand, a clinical research assistant or coordinator. Those people make 30k a year, or 2500 a month...with benefits and no overtime...

I agree with this. Summer research isn't for the money it's for the LOR/pubs. Otherwise you could do something else!

pkwraith

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
$1700/month is pretty good for a M* data entry with research options.

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for your inputs guys, but you made me more confused, especially, the last reply! The institution and the division are very big names (top #5).

The other option I have, is to go for away rotations but you know they are unpaid and so more expenses!
I have to decide within few days :S
I mean it doesn't matter how big name it is if you don't get an LOR or a publication. The point of associating yourself with a big name is the LOR and the publication. If the point is just to make money, do something else where you will make more money. I don't understand--aren't there other people in this division that you could email to work with? Even if you worked with them for free, that would be better if they could guarantee you research.

Geez, this is why big name institutions get away with crazy $h*t. I can't believe professors have the audacity to make these offers and students really feel like they should accept them.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.