M3 With Low STEP I/Rank, Passes on all Clinical, Considering IMED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleOpIMXD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMD M3 at a low tier TX medical school
STEP I: 220
STEP II: Predicting 230
Research: 1 basic science research publication due in med school

Our school grading is H/P/F
Passes on Pediatrics, OBGYN, IMED, FM, Surgery
Currently on PSYC but expecting a P as well
I have great clinical comments but NBME scores of 10th-30th percentile consistently in all exams which tanked my final grade.

Through the course of the year I was really open to all specialities. However I am starting to be more interested in IMED. Everyone around me going into IM have 230+ STEPs, middle of the road ranking, or H on their IM rotation. I have neither. I was thinking of pursuing fellowship later on. Have I dug myself a big hole?

1) Can I still match into an academic IM program?
2) How bad does a IM NBME score of 10th percentile and a P in IMED look to program directors?
3) Has my bottom 1/4 quartile rank at a low tier school, low IMED final grade, and below average STEP I doomed me for match at urban cities in TX and NY??

I am really anxious and don't know if this is the right decision anymore. Just wanted to hear some feedback. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Apply broadly. Make sure your letter writers go to bat for you. Do your IM SubI early and honor i, which is manageable because there's no nbme. I was in a similar position and punched above my weight, interviewing at great programs and ultimately matching to a upper mid tier academic program. It can be done.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.