M3 with some questions and concerns about M4 away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaCasta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to match somewhere in California, ideally at UC Davis, so I am definitely going to apply to Davis for an away. I know it's not guaranteed to get an away, so I am going to apply to some other programs in Cali, but I don't want to burn any bridges if I turn down a rotation somewhere, because I really would be happy matching anywhere in Cali.

Any suggestions? Should I wait till I get a response from Davis before I apply anyhwere else? It seems like that might not give me enough time to secure another one. Do I have to just take that risk? And if so, should I apply to programs lower on my wish list in case I burn a bridge?

Also, how helpful is a LOR for aways? I got one from a Peds EM doc I worked with bc I know a few places require one for aways, but can I still send it to programs that don't require one in hopes of it helping me secure a spot?

thanks in advance for any input

Members don't see this ad.

What links do you have to Cali? Asking because going to med school there is different than going to a medschool elsewhere and wanting to move there for the weather. You're probably not going to burn any bridges turning down rotations as long as you do it with sufficient warning and tactfully. I turned one down and the secretary said: "K, thanks for letting us know. See you during your interview." My advice is to apply for a couple rotations just to have options for an audition somewhere. I didn't know away required or accepted letters now...

VSAS is open for many EM programs already. Apply to UC Davis and one or two other ones. You can even email clerkship coordinators and ask what their availability is for the month(s) that you are interested in. Typically, July-September are the most competitive months. Also, get on waitlists if you need to, there is a lot of flux in students who end up getting a spot, then getting another one down the line, and leaving their first spot in favor of the new one.

I had no ties to California and went to medical school on the East Coast. I have an average Step 1 score. I did two aways out here in Calfornia and matched at my top spot here. It's not an impossibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies

What links do you have to Cali?

My immediate family all moved out there while I was in college. My wife is from there too and I got married out there and worked for 1 year in LA during my gap year. So I have family in both Northern Cali and SoCal so I would be happy landing anywhere in Cali (even bakersfield :D)

VSAS is open for many EM programs already. Apply to UC Davis and one or two other ones. You can even email clerkship coordinators and ask what their availability is for the month(s) that you are interested in. Typically, July-September are the most competitive months. Also, get on waitlists if you need to, there is a lot of flux in students who end up getting a spot, then getting another one down the line, and leaving their first spot in favor of the new one.

I had no ties to California and went to medical school on the East Coast. I have an average Step 1 score. I did two aways out here in Calfornia and matched at my top spot here. It's not an impossibility.

That's awesome to hear; my step 1 is a 242, and I have some good comments from my 3rd year evals and I got one strong letter already. I can only do 1 away in EM due to stupid school policy though.

Last edited:
I'm from an east coast mid-tier program. No ties to the Cali. Ended up getting interviews at Stanford and Davis (declined UCSD and had no love from UCSF). Loved both programs, but ranked them lower due to the COL associated with living there. Step score was 250+. Hope this helps!

So I just found that my #1 choice and the place I want to match at is full for an EM rotation in the month I wanted, but their coordinator said I could still do a medical toxicology rotation. She said I could still interview for the EM residency by meeting with the PD while I am there on this rotation. If I do this, then the only general EM rotation I will be doing will be at my home in September (can't do more than 2 EM related rotations due to school policy).

What would you guys do in my shoes?

Thanks

So I just found that my #1 choice and the place I want to match at is full for an EM rotation in the month I wanted, but their coordinator said I could still do a medical toxicology rotation. She said I could still interview for the EM residency by meeting with the PD while I am there on this rotation. If I do this, then the only general EM rotation I will be doing will be at my home in September (can't do more than 2 EM related rotations due to school policy).

What would you guys do in my shoes?

Thanks

Any input from anyone?

Any input from anyone?

I would say that if you really really want to go there, you could and perhaps should still do it. The only thing you would want to make sure of is that you get ATLEAST 2 SLORS (not LORs, definitely SLORS) from your home EM rotation (one departmental and one from an attending you work with 2-3 times and get along with).

Additionally, you could always try and get a SLOR from the med-tox rotation (unlikely) or atleast a LOR.

As I posted in another thread a few days ago.... I think doing aways for SLORs is a little over rated. All you need is 2 SLORs in any capacity and you will get most any interviews you need (assuming they are good SLORs of course). The biggest benefit of aways is learning about the program you think you REALLY like and then getting a feel for the types of other programs you may or may not be interested in based on your experience on your away.

I would say that if you really really want to go there, you could and perhaps should still do it. The only thing you would want to make sure of is that you get ATLEAST 2 SLORS (not LORs, definitely SLORS) from your home EM rotation (one departmental and one from an attending you work with 2-3 times and get along with).

Additionally, you could always try and get a SLOR from the med-tox rotation (unlikely) or atleast a LOR.

As I posted in another thread a few days ago.... I think doing aways for SLORs is a little over rated. All you need is 2 SLORs in any capacity and you will get most any interviews you need (assuming they are good SLORs of course). The biggest benefit of aways is learning about the program you think you REALLY like and then getting a feel for the types of other programs you may or may not be interested in based on your experience on your away.

I agree that if you have any interest in tox, and the program, you should go and shine. and they just guaranteed you an interview? Trust me those will get harder to come by this this year :). if you got two SLORS from home and a LOR from there I would think that would be a nice EM package of letters (from my very very limited perspective as recently matched applicant)

I agree that if you have any interest in tox, and the program, you should go and shine. and they just guaranteed you an interview? Trust me those will get harder to come by this this year :). if you got two SLORS from home and a LOR from there I would think that would be a nice EM package of letters (from my very very limited perspective as recently matched applicant)

Thank you very much for the replies.

I am going to go ahead and do the tox rotation at my #1. Plus I'm the first one on the waitlist if a spot opens up. Like you guys mentioned, it's a guaranteed interview.

The only issue I can think of is with not having any SLORs by the time application opens up. My general EM rotation at my home program is in September, so I might not have any SLORs till mid October (or later). I will only have an invididual LOR from the tox rotation and an individual LOR from a Peds EM doc by the time ERAS opens up.

Thank you very much for the replies.

I am going to go ahead and do the tox rotation at my #1. Plus I'm the first one on the waitlist if a spot opens up. Like you guys mentioned, it's a guaranteed interview.

The only issue I can think of is with not having any SLORs by the time application opens up. My general EM rotation at my home program is in September, so I might not have any SLORs till mid October (or later). I will only have an invididual LOR from the tox rotation and an individual LOR from a Peds EM doc by the time ERAS opens up.

You really should get one SLOR in as early as possible when ERAS is submitted. Can you switch rotations around and get an EM rotation done earlier?

You really should get one SLOR in as early as possible when ERAS is submitted. Can you switch rotations around and get an EM rotation done earlier?

Yes, I agree, you really really should have atleast 2 SLORs by the time the application opens up.... I would say thats more important than going to your number 1....although as said above, just my opinion, although it seemed like those without 2 SLORs when apps opened had a little more difficulty getting interviews.

As a bit of an aside, almost everyone I know, myself included, ended up ranking a program #1 that wasn't their "original" #1. In retrospect, it almost seems a bit silly thinking I had a #1 before I interviewed everywhere, much less before I've interviewed anywhere.

The point is, if the rotation at you're current #1 doesn't work out, don't lose sleep over it. Just do your best to maximize your application and the rest will likely fall into place.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a bit of an aside, almost everyone I know, myself included, ended up ranking a program #1 that wasn't their "original" #1. In retrospect, it almost seems a bit silly thinking I had a #1 before I interviewed everywhere, much less before I've interviewed anywhere.

I don't think this is an aside. I think it should be the end of this thread.

As another example (admittedly in a different specialty), my pre-interview 1-3 wound up being 8, 11 and unranked.

An update: I spoke with the coordinator and I CAN get a SLOR from the tox rotation and I can also do a few shifts in their ED to get a feel for it. So I would have at least 1 SLOR by Oct 1st, 1 individual Peds EM LOR, and then 2 SLORs from my home program by ~mid October. Would I be ok with 1 SLOR from tox when applications open?

Not much I can do about having my home rotation in September, our school EM rotation is booked even through October, and I don't think anyone will be dropping July or August.

The point is, if the rotation at you're current #1 doesn't work out, don't lose sleep over it. Just do your best to maximize your application and the rest will likely fall into place.

Once again I totally agree with this guy/girl.

Rising 4th year. I've done one EM elective as a third year at a well-regarded (though not a household name) US medical school. I received good feedback throughout the rotation but haven't received a grade yet.

Here's my question:
I applied to a very competitive school for a 4th year away rotation. My plan was to do one more at my home school to hone my skills then go for this away. However, Competitive School offered me an elective during the first block of 4th year. Should I accept this away with only one month of EM under my belt (and about 4 months of other rotations in between) or pass up the opportunity?

Rising 4th year. I've done one EM elective as a third year at a well-regarded (though not a household name) US medical school. I received good feedback throughout the rotation but haven't received a grade yet.

Here's my question:
I applied to a very competitive school for a 4th year away rotation. My plan was to do one more at my home school to hone my skills then go for this away. However, Competitive School offered me an elective during the first block of 4th year. Should I accept this away with only one month of EM under my belt (and about 4 months of other rotations in between) or pass up the opportunity?

You're probably not expected to have any "skills" as a fourth year med student. You're expected to show up early, be nice to everyone, be a reasonable human being to work with, read a lot and show interest. I'm just an MS4, but this is what I've gathered.

M3 with a related question....

I have two ED rotations setup starting in late August, then 4 weeks of OMM (center around my level 2 PE), then a free month before Christmas. However, those 2 ED rotations are not at my #1 choice and I'd like to get some face time during that last 4 week block before Christmas. My question is: should I just aim for 4 weeks in the ED or should I apply for their 4 week ultrasound rotation? I'm not sure if one is better than the other or if it even matters.

M3 with a related question....

I have two ED rotations setup starting in late August, then 4 weeks of OMM (center around my level 2 PE), then a free month before Christmas. However, those 2 ED rotations are not at my #1 choice and I'd like to get some face time during that last 4 week block before Christmas. My question is: should I just aim for 4 weeks in the ED or should I apply for their 4 week ultrasound rotation? I'm not sure if one is better than the other or if it even matters.

Don't schedule an away the month before Christmas. I did 8 interviews in the month immediately before my Christmas break. You'll either end up turning down interviews or missing a lot of time that month and neither increase your odds of matching.

Don't schedule an away the month before Christmas. I did 8 interviews in the month immediately before my Christmas break. You'll either end up turning down interviews or missing a lot of time that month and neither increase your odds of matching.

Yep, most all of my interviews were late November into December with a couple in January. You really need that time to go on your interviews and will have enough to worry about with interviews that you won't want to be trying to perform at an away.

What about doing the ED rotation at my #1 in January and a more "cush" rotation late Nov into Dec? I can't afford to not schedule a rotation and still graduate on time.

What about doing the ED rotation at my #1 in January and a more "cush" rotation late Nov into Dec? I can't afford to not schedule a rotation and still graduate on time.

You need to find a light rotation for basically November through January. I wouldn't do any rotation thinking you'll get a rec letter or a shot at an interview in that time period. Once apps go out, your fate is (mostly) sealed.