minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
hi y'all. I took the CK beast today and I think I failed.. literally feel worse than I did after Step 1, and I got well below average on Step 1.. I'm going into anesthesia and my question is whether I should wait till CK comes out to submit ERAS. Step 1 was between 210-220 so I was banking on CK to improve my app. My practice scores were in the 240s... but I am god damn awful at these long tests, I scored similarly well on my Step 1 practice tests but blew it on test day.

Should I wait till the scores are released? if I pulled a miracle and did well would it increase the chances of a school not rejecting me vs. submitting on the 9/15 with my low Step 1 score? I assume CK results come out late September. I'm supposed to be getting very good LORs. One of my anesthesia letters will apparently say I'm one of the best students that the attending has ever worked with... M3 grades are average-to-above average I'd say compared to the rest of my class.. 2 honors and the rest were one below honors. I also have done research during the summer M1-M2 but not really related to anesthesia.

I dont really have any regional preferences, I'd like to be in an academic setting since I am highly interested in CC or Pain fellowships. I'd also like said academic setting to be in a city (preferably warm with single ladies)
give it to me straight doc...

Edit: I'm a US MD from a top-40 medical school for what its worth

Reactions: Doctor Bootsy

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
hi y'all. I took the CK beast today and I think I failed.. literally feel worse than I did after Step 1, and I got well below average on Step 1.. I'm going into anesthesia and my question is whether I should wait till CK comes out to submit ERAS. Step 1 was between 210-220 so I was banking on CK to improve my app. My practice scores were in the 240s... but I am god damn awful at these long tests, I scored similarly well on my Step 1 practice tests but blew it on test day.

Should I wait till the scores are released? if I pulled a miracle and did well would it increase the chances of a school not rejecting me vs. submitting on the 9/15 with my low Step 1 score? I assume CK results come out late September. I'm supposed to be getting very good LORs. One of my anesthesia letters will apparently say I'm one of the best students that the attending has ever worked with... M3 grades are average-to-above average I'd say compared to the rest of my class.. 2 honors and the rest were one below honors. I also have done research during the summer M1-M2 but not really related to anesthesia.

I dont really have any regional preferences, I'd like to be in an academic setting since I am highly interested in CC or Pain fellowships. I'd also like said academic setting to be in a city (preferably warm with single ladies)
give it to me straight doc...

Edit: I'm a US MD from a top-40 medical school for what its worth
Possible Rank List: Step 1 for OP was between 210-220

1. Emory
2. Univ. of South Carolina
3. Mayo Jacksonville
4. UF- Jacksonville
5. Miami (Florida)
6. Univ. of Tennessee
7. Medical College of Georgia
8. Texas Tech (Lubbock or El Paso)
9. LSU Shreveport
10. University of Arkansas
11. https://www.umc.edu/anesthesiology/

The "ladies" may need to wait until the fellowship year as you need to MATCH.

Last edited:
OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student

Haha ok.. just got out of a 5 yr relationship before my study period for Step 2CK... M4 is a bad time to go without a gf, so much free time for activities! Do you think I should submit on time on 9/15 or wait and pray?

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thanks Blade, any thoughts on programs where I have a chance out West or even the Northeast, I can deal with the winter struggle....

Pharmado

PharmaDo
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2012
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Waiting to apply doesn't help. It will only hurt your application and your scores will be out sooner than you think. Submit on 9/15. You don't need to do it at 12:01 but earlier is absolutely better. No program is likely to even see your app before your score will be added anyhow. Apply broadly, be flexible and honest. Your scores may limit your choices, but you can be more selective with where you live when you take your first job after graduation. One hint though, telling programs you are interested because they have a CC fellowship or a wide array of fellowship opportunities is great, but I'd leave pain out of the conversation. Some programs have had trouble with residents who were set on pain from the beginning (i.e. Not as committed to anesthesia). Most places won't see it that way but a few will.

Reactions: Promethean

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
Definitely need to apply broadly, Bladema's recommendations are a reasonable start. LORs can absolutely make a difference here, but overcoming low stats is difficult at traditional academic programs. Not unheard of, though. Be positive.

Also, I met an awesome single lady during internship and now we are married, so there's time for such things.

Reactions: Mad Jack

pjl

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Submit immediately.

You can send it back out when you get your scores back, otherwise the programs dont see that score. If it is bad, just dont resubmit. If it is good then resubmit.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thanks guys for the responses! Wish I had gotten just a few points higher to hit the 220+ cutoff that most of the programs I really like have.. So how hardcore are these cutoffs? If it says a 220 cutoff on the school's website, like Baylor for instance, will my app be robot-rejected? I do not have "outstanding performance in other application categories, such as research or significant leadership roles.", I think. Just an average slob trying to pass some gas.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
thanks guys for the responses! Wish I had gotten just a few points higher to hit the 220+ cutoff that most of the programs I really like have.. So how hardcore are these cutoffs? If it says a 220 cutoff on the school's website, like Baylor for instance, will my app be robot-rejected? I do not have "outstanding performance in other application categories, such as research or significant leadership roles.", I think. Just an average slob trying to pass some gas.
Your scores are below average. Hence, "below average slob trying to pass some gas" is a more accurate statement. Apply anywhere you feel like it but expect REJECTION due to your low Step 1 score. Baylor? Think Texas Tech. UF- Gainesville? Think UF-Jacksonville. Univ. of North Carolina? Think Medical College of Georgia. You get the idea.

Reactions: AdmiralChz

Nivens

Cog in the Machine
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Leafcull
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I feel like Blade answered your question quite nicely above, but I do have a piece of unsolicited advice for you: learn from this predicament, and no matter where you land in the pantheon of anesthesiology training programs, try not to find yourself in a similar position again. What I mean is, try and find some inspiration to be the best resident and doctor you can be from here on out, not because it means you'll make more money or get a better fellowship or land a job in a warm place with single ladies, but because you owe it to yourself and your patients. Imagine your reaction if your mother or father were about to have surgery, and when asked a question the anesthesiologist shrugged and replied "dunno, I'm just an average slob trying to pass some gas." Medicine may not be the golden goose or the promise land it once was, but if you're going to get up in the morning and call yourself Doctor that comes with a certain set of responsibilities. And while it may be tempting to point out that poor scores don't translate to poor doctor, I firmly believe test scores are more effort-dependant than our trophy-for-last-place society likes to admit, and your lack of any "outstanding performace in other categories" suggests you didn't exactly try to make up for the scores with elbow grease.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
I feel like Blade answered your question quite nicely above, but I do have a piece of unsolicited advice for you: learn from this predicament, and no matter where you land in the pantheon of anesthesiology training programs, try not to find yourself in a similar position again. What I mean is, try and find some inspiration to be the best resident and doctor you can be from here on out, not because it means you'll make more money or get a better fellowship or land a job in a warm place with single ladies, but because you owe it to yourself and your patients. Imagine your reaction if your mother or father were about to have surgery, and when asked a question the anesthesiologist shrugged and replied "dunno, I'm just an average slob trying to pass some gas." Medicine may not be the golden goose or the promise land it once was, but if you're going to get up in the morning and call yourself Doctor that comes with a certain set of responsibilities. And while it may be tempting to point out that poor scores don't translate to poor doctor, I firmly believe test scores are more effort-dependant than our trophy-for-last-place society likes to admit, and your lack of any "outstanding performace in other categories" suggests you didn't exactly try to make up for the scores with elbow grease.
To the OP:

That post is right out of my playbook. "Nobody owes you anything" even after graduating from a top 40 med school is the quote to remember. If you land a spot at Texas Tech or UF-Jax then your career keeps moving forward. Will you be a highly motivated resident or just a "below average slob passing gas" during your training? If you excel during the residency at any of the places I posted then a fellowship in anything you desire is likely to happen. You have the ability to turn on the motor and get into high gear. Don't settle for PRIUS mode when you know there is a TESLA mode in you.

For now, do the best you can at the match and look for an academic setting even if that means El Paso or Lubbock Texas.

Reactions: DokterMom

sigrhoillusion

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2014
Your scores are below average. Hence, "below average slob trying to pass some gas" is a more accurate statement. Apply anywhere you feel like it but expect REJECTION due to your low Step 1 score. Baylor? Think Texas Tech. UF- Gainesville? Think UF-Jacksonville. Univ. of North Carolina? Think Medical College of Georgia. You get the idea.
You left out Hollywood Upstairs Medical College on your list...

Reactions: Mad Jack
OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thanks for your kind words. Glad to hear the hate, you have no idea how patients or other attendings view my effort and knowledge when it matters on the floor or the OR. Yes, I am terrible at taking tests but I'm not here to justify how good or bad of a doctor I will be. I'm sorry that the comment was poorly received, it was meant to be humorous, I am well aware of the fact that I'm below average, why the hell do you think I'd even post this thread??? The kind of pessimism on this forum towards an unknown stranger is exactly why you feel this field is doomed. have a nice day!

Edit: Instead of flaming me, if you have any actual advice about the cutoff like I had asked please advice. If you don't and enjoy trying to pick apart someone online, have at it! Know that no one is more critical of their performance than me.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
thanks for your kind words. Glad to hear the hate, you have no idea how patients or other attendings view my effort and knowledge when it matters on the floor or the OR. Yes, I am terrible at taking tests but I'm not here to justify how good or bad of a doctor I will be. I'm sorry that the comment was poorly received, it was meant to be humorous, I am well aware of the fact that I'm below average, why the hell do you think I'd even post this thread??? The kind of pessimism on this forum towards an unknown stranger is exactly why you feel this field is doomed. have a nice day!

Edit: Instead of flaming me, if you have any actual advice about the cutoff like I had asked please advice. If you don't and enjoy trying to pick apart someone online, have at it! Know that no one is more critical of their performance than me.

I think the advice of applying broadly and then making every effort to distinguish your achievement in whatever program you end up in is good advice. Performance in the anesthesia program would likely carry more wait than the more remote board scores at that point in terms of a fellowship. Reality is your interests may change so keep an open mind about your subspecialty interest until you've had more experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: minutemen11

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, I definitely agree that some of the comments towards OP were a little aggressive, and at times even mean. But unfortunately, this is the Internet and relative anonymity can make people fairly nasty. Just check out the comments section of your local newspaper sometime.

That being said, the advice in this thread has been pretty spot on. With regards to Step cut offs, some programs hold to them almost 100% - the larger academic programs get plenty of applicants and have to make a cut somewhere, even if it's arbitrary. This is the case for my program and many around me as well, but others may be flexible especially with upward-trending board scores.

So your best bet, as almost always on this forum, is to apply broadly. If you get an interview at a well-known academic program, awesome! If not, go check out some of those other programs listed above. And then work like hell in residency, a solid performance at just about any program can be parlayed into a fellowship - and you never know, you might be interested in a different subspecialty by the time you are done. I was go go go for CCM, now I can't stand it and went with cardiac. Many of my classmates experienced the same.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician

Reactions: vendtex
OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thanks, I knew that posting on SDN would do this as I have seen it time and again.. My home institution is extremely impressed with me, as I said earlier. The PD says I have a great chance to continue my residency here and I would not mind that one bit. I just wanted to explore other options since I haven't had the chance to see the how other hospitals work and thought it would be a good experience career wise..

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
thanks, I knew that posting on SDN would do this as I have seen it time and again.. My home institution is extremely impressed with me, as I said earlier. The PD says I have a great chance to continue my residency here and I would not mind that one bit. I just wanted to explore other options since I haven't had the chance to see the how other hospitals work and thought it would be a good experience career wise..
I've re-read this thread and I don't see any problems with the posts. The real world is a tough place and academic institutions receive hundreds of applications for residency positions. Most have a hard cut-off especially the upper and mid tier programs. Someone with a below average Step score like yours will likely be stuck with bottom tier programs.
If you have an "in" with your home institution because they know and like you by all means use that "in" to get a spot.

Reactions: vendtex
OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
A note to Blade, your comments are much appreciated, you gave me a hard look into how terribly some attending's view their jobs and are miserable 24/7. I have taken that advice to heart and still decided on anesthesia. All the other BS you post like above with the "trophy", there is a circle jerk nearby with your name on it. It literally does not affect me at all, so I don't understand why you'd waste your time with this kind of stuff.

Aug 31, 2016

1. Emory
3. Mayo Jacksonville
4. UF- Jacksonville
5. Miami (Florida)
6. Univ. of Tennessee
9. LSU Shreveport

Just wondering - is this list in any particular order (i.e. best chances to worst chances, best program to worst program)?

Nivens

Cog in the Machine
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Leafcull
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
A note to Blade, your comments are much appreciated, you gave me a hard look into how terribly some attending's view their jobs and are miserable 24/7. I have taken that advice to heart and still decided on anesthesia. All the other BS you post like above with the "trophy", there is a circle jerk nearby with your name on it. It literally does not affect me at all, so I don't understand why you'd waste your time with this kind of stuff.
Sorry man, I would have written back sooner but I was busy learning to give anesthesia at one of the best hospitals in the world.

Believe it or not, I don't get off on ripping apart medical students interested in going into anesthesia. I meant what I said as a sincere plea for some introspection before you start the next chapter in your training so that next time around you can call the shots. It's actually advice someone gave me when I started undergrad- wake up, you can do better than this.

I wasn't insulted, I was grateful. I'm where I am now because I listened.

If you had the chops to get into a solid MD school, you probably can do better than your below average performance to date. I get it- medical school is a lot of hoops to jump through and it's easy to become complacent and coast, but residency is the real deal. I bet if you were really honest with yourself, you could have done better on those tests, in those rotations. Make excuses, lash out, direct more senior residents trying to help you to the nearest "circle jerk", claim everyone loves you at home, whatever helps you sleep at night- you aren't hurting anyone but yourself.

Best of luck. Really.

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's okay if someone is a below average student but it's unforgiveable to be unteachable. You come here asking for help, wanting to know if you have a chance at great programs with a crappy application and then you insult people who are trying to help you by being realistic.

Gl at your home institution.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
I've had a great career and made a lot of money. Anesthesiology has rewarded me well financially. I can semi-retire at any time now as a result of all the hard work during my early years post residency.

My advice for you is to find a solid, lower tier academic program where you can excel as a resident. If your home program will take you then by all means sign up for the position. The odds do not favor you matching at a better place than your home institution. But, just in case they don't take you the interview trail is important for your career. This means thinking strategically based on your Step-1 score about which programs will interview then actually accept you.

Honestly, if a young person with a Step 1 score of 210 matches at any academic institution then he/she can become an excellent Anesthesiologist. But, this will require effort and persistence on their part. I applaud your desire to do a fellowship and recommend one to all the med students. Rather than lash out at others for your poor test performance try to look inward and decide if that was your best effort. You are facing many exams going forward so whatever you lack in test taking skills must be made up for in determination.

Best of luck.

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thanks Blade, this is all I was looking for. There was no need to talk about the trophies or insult my character/ professionalism/ work ethic. I hope you and Nivens realize how far off the deep end the hate was coming from. I'm a couple points shy of a 220 and still have not gotten CK results back. I have research experience dating back to my undergrad years and my M3 grades are not bad since my school gives out honors only for the top 10% of the class in each rotation. All of my grades are honors or a high pass. I have worked hard for where I want to be. I can take criticism that is valid, yes I should have done better, but I didnt come here to post about the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's". Whats done is done, I turned to this forum for advice on how to best move forward and get a feel for my competitiveness with the field. Thank you for the honesty in your other posts.

Nivens, bud, enjoy your anesthesia in the world's greatest institution, hope you also learn how to treat others with respect regardless how beneath you they may be. I understand that its easy to brag over the veil cyberspace. There is always someone better than you. Since you are quick to give unsolicited advice: there are only 3 things that got me to where I am 1. Be humble about your accomplishments 2. Be proud of your responsibility and continue to learn 3. Don't be a dick.

Nivens

Cog in the Machine
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Leafcull
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
thanks Blade, this is all I was looking for. There was no need to talk about the trophies or insult my character/ professionalism/ work ethic. I hope you and Nivens realize how far off the deep end the hate was coming from. I'm a couple points shy of a 220 and still have not gotten CK results back. I have research experience dating back to my undergrad years and my M3 grades are not bad since my school gives out honors only for the top 10% of the class in each rotation. All of my grades are honors or a high pass. I have worked hard for where I want to be. I can take criticism that is valid, yes I should have done better, but I didnt come here to post about the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's". Whats done is done, I turned to this forum for advice on how to best move forward and get a feel for my competitiveness with the field. Thank you for the honesty in your other posts.

Nivens, bud, enjoy your anesthesia in the world's greatest institution, hope you also learn how to treat others with respect regardless how beneath you they may be. I understand that its easy to brag over the veil cyberspace. There is always someone better than you. Since you are quick to give unsolicited advice: there are only 3 things that got me to where I am 1. Be humble about your accomplishments 2. Be proud of your responsibility and continue to learn 3. Don't be a dick.
You kind of come off like the football team that talks **** walking off the field after getting blown out by 60 pts, so I'll just point at the scoreboard and walk away.

Reactions: Promethean
OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It's okay if someone is a below average student but it's unforgivable to be unteachable. You come here asking for help, wanting to know if you have a chance at great programs with a crappy application and then you insult people who are trying to help you by being realistic.

Gl at your home institution.
See below and tell me if any of these posts are actually trying to help. I have thanked blade and others at every instance they have provided realistic advice about being non-competitive at most academic institutions. Making nonsensical broad generalizations on the type of doctor or resident I will be based on a couple posts adds nothing to this discussion and definitely triggered me. Please tell me if this makes sense to you. I am not "lashing out" to compensate for poor board scores that I acknowledge are below average in my 1st post. I do not need patronizing words of wisdom, trust me, I am hard on myself and no one is more disappointed on my scores. I can tell you it was not from a lack of effort but that would not change the end result. I am irked that most of these comments are about who I am as a medical student or future resident when my post asked about where I'd have a shot of matching, baseless and ridiculous claims.

Imagine your reaction if your mother or father were about to have surgery, and when asked a question the anesthesiologist shrugged and replied "dunno, I'm just an average slob trying to pass some gas." your lack of any "outstanding performace in other categories" suggests you didn't exactly try to make up for the scores with elbow grease.
That post is right out of my playbook. "Nobody owes you anything" even after graduating from a top 40 med school is the quote to remember. If you land a spot at Texas Tech or UF-Jax then your career keeps moving forward. Will you be a highly motivated resident or just a "below average slob passing gas" during your training?
You left out Hollywood Upstairs Medical College on your list...
claim everyone loves you at home, whatever helps you sleep at night- you aren't hurting anyone but yourself.

Pharmado

PharmaDo
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2012
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP, you have a lot of people offering advice from the tough love to the warm and fuzzy. Realize that this is the real world. This is the medical community. During interviews for residency I had a PD at a program I really wanted to go to look at my app and openly question why they even interviewed me because my scores weren't high enough. It was straight up rude and I simply smiled and commented that I was glad they had offered me the opportunity. These things happen. Often people will test you by being openly rude. Don't be defensive, don't strike back. Part of earning your way in medicine, right or wrong, is dealing with people who don't act the way you think they should. If you can't control your temper then you will have a long difficult road ahead.

aimedicine

7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
To the OP

Wait till you start your CA1 year and you're going through the growing pains of learning anesthesia while attemdings say "mean things to you"... You have to learn to ignore the manner in which people say things and see if there is anything of value in what is being said...never take it persononal, you have to be tough skinned (and right now you are not)

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
See below and tell me if any of these posts are actually trying to help. I have thanked blade and others at every instance they have provided realistic advice about being non-competitive at most academic institutions. Making nonsensical broad generalizations on the type of doctor or resident I will be based on a couple posts adds nothing to this discussion and definitely triggered me. Please tell me if this makes sense to you. I am not "lashing out" to compensate for poor board scores that I acknowledge are below average in my 1st post. I do not need patronizing words of wisdom, trust me, I am hard on myself and no one is more disappointed on my scores. I can tell you it was not from a lack of effort but that would not change the end result. I am irked that most of these comments are about who I am as a medical student or future resident when my post asked about where I'd have a shot of matching, baseless and ridiculous claims.

Your best approach is to mix in mid-tier programs with lower 1/3 programs. I am happy to help you create a list of 25 programs which mix the mid-tier and lower tier together so your chances of matching into the field are high.

A top ten program like the one Nivens goes to now is great but believe it or not even a solid lower 1/3 program has everything you need to be an outstanding Anesthesiologist. The caveat to this statement is you will need to put forth more effort as Resident to make sure you are getting the most out of your residency program.

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Your best approach is to mix in mid-tier programs with lower 1/3 programs. I am happy to help you create a list of 25 programs which mix the mid-tier and lower tier together so your chances of matching into the field are high.

A top ten program like the one Nivens goes to now is great but believe it or not even a solid lower 1/3 program has everything you need to be an outstanding Anesthesiologist. The caveat to this statement is you will need to put forth more effort as Resident to make sure you are getting the most out of your residency program.
Thanks blade yes I'd appreciate that very much. I am not big on the name or prestige of a program, I would prefer an academic program though. Ideally it would have a CC fellowship and opportunities for research. I know that I'm in no position to pick and choose and I'm more than happy to stay at my home institution which has all of the above and motivated attendings willing to teach. Really just wanted to see what was out there in the field from people like you that have experience and knowledge. I will be applying to 50-60 programs if you feel that it would be beneficial. Additionally I cannot and will not comment on my effort/"thick skin" since it's frivolous to try and convince others that I haven't met. I will put in more time to study for the ITE's but again that's not what I'm most concerned with as I prepare to submit my applications. I will however be open and blunt about my step scores during interviews, right now I need to know more about programs that I will be able to earn an interview spot. Thanks for your help. I'm not even going to comment on the other posters above.

pjl

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Apply to some good ones too, you never know what will happen. Don't let everyone get you down. But yes, step up your game.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
another question- my program suggested that I would not need to apply to transitional or prelim programs. I prefer categorical and I am aware that the intern year as a categorical match is much more intense, I'd actually like this since I tend to do well when things are go-go-go with crazy cases rather than laborious bread and butter COPD/CHF at community hospitals. However, judging by the reaction on this forum, should I look into transitional or prelim programs to improve my chances? I do not have any medicine LOR's, I could get one, but it would not be completed by 9/15 though..

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
Categorical intern years vary WIDELY across the country. Ours was super easy (in my opinion) and getting easier - we did Chronic Pain for 4 weeks! I've heard others are essentially 12 rotations of surgery and IM with an ED month. I learned a lot during my intern year for sure, but I can see the potential advantage of MICU or additional IM wards months I suppose.

I am not sure how to advise on applying for advanced (where you would need an intern year elsewhere) va categorical. Almost all the applicants we see desire categorical, which is why we and many other programs are slowly transitioning our distribution.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
Categorical intern years vary WIDELY across the country. Ours was super easy (in my opinion) and getting easier - we did Chronic Pain for 4 weeks! I've heard others are essentially 12 rotations of surgery and IM with an ED month. I learned a lot during my intern year for sure, but I can see the potential advantage of MICU or additional IM wards months I suppose.

I am not sure how to advise on applying for advanced (where you would need an intern year elsewhere) va categorical. Almost all the applicants we see desire categorical, which is why we and many other programs are slowly transitioning our distribution.
Med students don't want to move twice during residency so they prefer categorical. I think the OP should plan on interviewing for preliminary positions to improve his chances of matching in the specialty.

sigrhoillusion

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2014
Med students don't want to move twice during residency so they prefer categorical. I think the OP should plan on interviewing for preliminary positions to improve his chances of matching in the specialty.
I feel like most academic places are moving towards 4 year programs or at least offering them. If he wants to do categorical, I think that's a fair option. He would be better off ranking the 4 year programs higher. Obviously it would be nice to interview at several prelim/TY places as well and moving twice does suck. That being said if he does end up matching in an advanced program, he would probably have an easier time scrambling into a one year program than an anesthesia program. It might not be a top place, and might be in a terrible location, but it is only one year and required.

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys. If I somehow managed to match at an advanced program that appears to be a better fit than my home program I will 100% suck it up in for one year without question. Will I need to get a medicine letter? All of my letters (3) are from anesthesiologists. Feeling a little uneasy now about this because my program led me to believe I should be fine for categorical programs.

dannyboy1

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Op. you go to a US medical school and got around a 220 on step 1. if you look at charting the outcomes that gives you an over 90 % chance of matching gas. Just apply broadly, but throw in some "reaches" too you never know. as for fellowships: CC pretty much just needs a pulse and the desire to match; pain is a bit tougher but if you dont geographically restrict yourself you stand a solid chance of matching somewhere.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
Op. you go to a US medical school and got around a 220 on step 1. if you look at charting the outcomes that gives you an over 90 % chance of matching gas. Just apply broadly, but throw in some "reaches" too you never know. as for fellowships: CC pretty much just needs a pulse and the desire to match; pain is a bit tougher but if you dont geographically restrict yourself you stand a solid chance of matching somewhere.
Of course the OP will match. The issue is WHERE he/she will match and at what type of program. With a step 1 of 220 mid-tier programs are a "reach" so the focus should be on lower tier programs and his/her home institution.

DallasCowboys22

7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Disagree Blade. Step 1 220 should easily get him into a mid teir program not on the coasts. If he gets above a 250 on step 2 he would get interviews at almost all mid tier programs

Shimmy8

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm a CA-3 at a hard working, mid tier school. I can tell you for damn sure I wouldn't want this kid in my program with this attitude.

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
Disagree Blade. Step 1 220 should easily get him into a mid teir program not on the coasts. If he gets above a 250 on step 2 he would get interviews at almost all mid tier programs
Of course the OP should apply to mid tier programs but lower tier as well to guarantee he/she matches into the specialty. Also, I'm assuming a Step 2 score of 230. A step 2 of 250 and mid tier is highly likely especially in the midwest.

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was hoping to do much better for CK, tried my best, sometimes best isn't good enough. Still not sure what I will end up getting but there is nothing I can do about it now.
I'd rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I will take the advice and apply to transitional programs. Probably will end up sending my app to around 60 programs mixed with transitionals and mid-tier reaches. My app is ready to go for 9/15. I didn't talk about my scores in my PS, it felt out of place in my essay. Should I incorporate it anyways? Id rather address it in person during interviews so that it doesn't come off as brash or condescending as it appears to be on this forum...

BLADEMDA

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
I was hoping to do much better for CK, tried my best, sometimes best isn't good enough. Still not sure what I will end up getting but there is nothing I can do about it now.
I'd rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I will take the advice and apply to transitional programs. Probably will end up sending my app to around 60 programs mixed with transitionals and mid-tier reaches. My app is ready to go for 9/15. I didn't talk about my scores in my PS, it felt out of place in my essay. Should I incorporate it anyways? Id rather address it in person during interviews so that it doesn't come off as brash or condescending as it appears to be on this forum...
If your Step 2 is over 230-235 I don't think its as big an issue as some others for the lower tier programs. I think you may even end up matching at a mid tier program if you interview well.

sigrhoillusion

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2014
Don't talk about your scores in the personal statement...! Talk about yourself and why you want to be a doctor/ anesthesiologist or what lead you to where you are now. You know... make it... personal...

Temeraire

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Probably will end up sending my app to around 60 programs mixed with transitionals and mid-tier reaches.
Be aware that transitional years are very competitive unless they are in an undesirable location or the program is malignant. You're competing with people going into derm, rads, radonc, and ophtho who also need intern year spots prior to their advanced program. You should apply to some IM prelims to be safe.

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
thank you everyone. I'm glad no one told me to address the score on my PS. I've had the PS looked at by residents in my program and other friends in non-anesthesia programs. Talking about the score would have caused it to stick out like a sore thumb. I always thought CC was competitive? Seems like a nice balance to me? How will CC change with peri-operative home model?

Edit: I have read the other threads about CC's cons, it doesnt seem that bad to me.. If you dont have an independent Unit the medical or surgical team will just boss you around and you become the "yes man", is that a correct interpretation?

OP
M

minutemen11

7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've used the past application cycles' excel spreadsheet to learn more about programs, does anyone know if we are making one for this app cycle?

Aug 31, 2016
Hey everyone,
I know I'm new to the board but would really appreciate if anyone could clarify the order of the rank list that Blade posted. I'm particularly interested in programs in the Southeast and was surprised to see Mayo Jacksonville and UF Jacksonville ranked above Miami, but again I was unsure whether the list was ranked in order of best program to worst program. I assumed it was because if it was ranked as best chances to worst chances, it seemed odd that Emory would be listed before Medical College of Georgia.

Blade, could you please shed some light on how this rank list was ordered?
I'd be glad to start a new thread if this deviates too far from the current topic, it's not my intention to "thread jack". I'm trying to get an idea of the quality and competitiveness of programs in the Southeast as application cycle starts, and most of the information I've found on here is a few years old.

Just wondering - is this list in any particular order (i.e. best chances to worst chances, best program to worst program)?

1. Emory
3. Mayo Jacksonville
4. UF- Jacksonville
5. Miami (Florida)
6. Univ. of Tennessee
9. LSU Shreveport