M4 moving out for residency: saving notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is probably a silly question, but I wanted some outside input. I hand-wrote all my notes during M1 and M2, and as such have binders upon binders with hundreds if not thousands of pages of handwritten notes. I'm cleaning up for moving to my residency, and am in the process of throwing junk out. I can't imagine I would ever need these notes again, but it's slightly difficult to just throw out something you put so much work into.

Please, someone convince me I'm a ****** and I should throw them out.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this is probably a silly question, but I wanted some outside input. I hand-wrote all my notes during M1 and M2, and as such have binders upon binders with hundreds if not thousands of pages of handwritten notes. I'm cleaning up for moving to my residency, and am in the process of throwing junk out. I can't imagine I would ever need these notes again, but it's slightly difficult to just throw out something you put so much work into.

Or better yet give them to incoming M1 or M2, they might find a use for them.

What a strange phenomenon this is; the desire to save that which is no longer needed in any way, shape, or form. I do the same thing. I have a really tough time throwing out something I put so much work into. I would agree with the previous posts and donate them to an incoming M1/M2 (with the expressed condition that they not ever, ever throw them away, but rather continually pass them down for decades to come).

I was in the same situation, so I understand your dilemma on this one. So many binders of handwritten notes, representing *so* much effort. But with a big move, it just seemed crazy to end up hauling around so much stuff for something like nostalgia. As others have said, if you had any medical question in the future, you'd probably go to a current source, not go searching through endless old notes for an out of date answer. It was a bit painful to throw them out, but also satisfying to think about all the extra heavy moving boxes and storage space I had saved. Long and short of it - get rid of them!

Edit: I did break down and save my FA, just wasn't quite ready to let it go!

Last edited:

What if you become famous like Picasso? Then every page you wrote will be worth thousands. Throwing away those pages is just admitting you'll never amount to anything before you even began.

the only thing i'm definitely going to save from the preclinical years is my FA. otherwise everything else is garbage. i've never looked at anything else throughout third year so i highly doubt any of it will be remotely useful come residency.

You will not refer to them. If you need to look up some pre-clinical factoid, you'll try to find it on up-to-date or some other indexed site. You won't have the time to try to dig through piles and pages for something you vaguely remembered writing down a 3-4 years back.

Destroy them in the most enjoyable way possible.

You will not refer to them. If you need to look up some pre-clinical factoid, you'll try to find it on up-to-date or some other indexed site. You won't have the time to try to dig through piles and pages for something you vaguely remembered writing down a 3-4 years back.

Destroy them in the most enjoyable way possible.

On the interview trail, I met a student who said in her school, people burn their short white coat on an informal get together bonfire before graduation.

The only real notes I have are in my step 1/first aid binder I'm gonna hold on to those as a keepsake