M4 not sure where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La_Croix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good shot at pretty much every program on your list. Only programs that might not extend an interview are maybe Mayo, Stanford but even then it wouldn't surprise me if they invited you.

Solid list with a mix of programs for sure, definitely broad. I wonder about your geographics though - are you prepared to fly all the way out to places like Miami, NY and Missouri for interviews? And endure the cost to do so?

You would be solidly in the mix at almost all of those programs I'd say, probably won't get an interview everywhere but the majority most likely. None are really out of your league with a good Step 2 score, in my opinion - it can absolutely help an application of we are on the fence of offering an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not target your geographic region? Your application is good and I wonder why you aren't aiming for more top tier programs

Why not target your geographic region? Your application is good and I wonder why you aren't aiming for more top tier programs

I'm in the midwest and tried to hit the top guns in the region. Any others I'm missing?

Well if you're going south why not uab? If you're aiming for Stanford why not ucsf? Why not uw along with ohsu? Do you really want to live in Rochester or Michigan or New Haven? Just things to consider. I think you have a great app

Reactions: 1 users
Would chances at these programs be impossible if Step 1 was just a tad below 240? Rest of the application is fairly similar. Also looking out in the NE (Boston, NY, Philly) and West Coast programs

Hi, I'm an M4 applying to anesthesiology in two weeks. I would love some advice on my current list of programs, such as what my chances are, where else I should think about, etc.

Top 30 US MD school
246 Step 1, Step 2 pending
Honors (top 15%): Medicine, Psych, Ob/Gyn + 3 courses from pre-clinicals
High-pass (next top 15%): Surgery, Peds, Neuro, Anesthesia
1 pub + 4 abstracts during med school, 1 abstract from undergrad (none related to anesthesia, unfortunately)
Misc: Leadership positions, tutored, part-time job in the anesthesia department
Letters: 1 from department chair + clerkship director (anes), 1 from anesthesiologist, 1 from trauma surgeon, 1 from family doctor

Cleveland Clinic
Duke
Jackson Memorial Hospital
Mayo (Rochester)
Northwestern
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oregon Health and Science University
St. Louis University
Stanford
University of Arkansas
University of Colorado
University of Florida Gainesville
University of Iowa
University of Kansas Kansas City
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Nebraska
University of North Carolina
University of Rochester
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin
Vanderbilt
Wake Forrest University
Washington University St. Louis
Yale

I have a significant other and we basically looked at places where he could potentially find a job (engineer) and would also be affordable on his salary + mine and also at places where I have some friends so I wouldn't be completely new and alone.

What places do I have good shots at? Which are out of my league? Any advice is appreciated, thank you

None are out of your league and you could match at any of these programs. Some are clearly your "backup" programs. I hope you have a frequent flier discount because you are going to need it.

Why do you need more than 12 programs to match? You could pick 6 top tier programs and 6 midtier programs and be virtually guaranteed matching into the specialty.

Would chances at these programs be impossible if Step 1 was just a tad below 240? Rest of the application is fairly similar. Also looking out in the NE (Boston, NY, Philly) and West Coast programs

My list for you knowing nothing other than vaguely about your scores/grades and my own somewhat arbitrary experiences
Reaches:
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard programs
Columbia
Penn

Good Fit
UCLA
UCSD
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
UW
OHSU
Virginia Mason

"Safeties"
USC
UCI
Cedars
LLU

My list for you knowing nothing other than vaguely about your scores/grades and my own somewhat arbitrary experiences
Reaches:
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard programs
Columbia
Penn

Good Fit
UCLA
UCSD
NYU
Cornell
Sinai
UW
OHSU
Virginia Mason

"Safeties"
USC
UCI
Cedars
LLU
what about midwest programs?
Other stats: Clinicals 1H, 2NH, 4P, H on 2 ICU rotations and anesthesia rotation. Letters from PD Chair 2 ICU docs (1 anes/1 medicine).

what about midwest programs?
Other stats: Clinicals 1H, 2NH, 4P, H on 2 ICU rotations and anesthesia rotation. Letters from PD Chair 2 ICU docs (1 anes/1 medicine).

Hmm I think I misread your initial message well maybe move Ucla and ucsd into the reach pile and SC cedars into the good fit pile.

Midwest you should consider wustl - though I didn't end up there for other reasons it was probably the best program overall in my opinion (look at my previous post for more info). You shouldn't have too much issue with UoC or northwestern. Apply to UIC rush loyola for safety. Don't know about the other ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern or Uchicago. Also umich and washU. SLU is great for cardiac fellowship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't let people here tell you what's a reach. I know recent residents at Stanford, UCSF, and Brigham and your app is as good or better

Don't let people here tell you what's a reach. I know recent residents at Stanford, UCSF, and Brigham and your app is as good or better

Wait a second slim. I think the OP's application is FIRST TIER so all that is required is a mix of first tier programs (10 or so in the preferred locations) combined with maybe another 2-5 mid-tier ones as back up. Now, with all the craziness around application time I"m sure the OP will still apply to 25-30 programs but hopefully whittle that down to 10 or so interviews.

That said, Wash U has a great program and IMHO is a top tier program. Why pay the high cost of living in Chicago when you can reside in St. Louis with superb training?

First Tier applicants like the OP don't need to crisscross the continent to match into a top 20 program for Anesthesiology. If she chooses to do so then so be it.

Thank you everyone. I will try to look more regionally to save on interview costs, and see which top tier programs will be a good fit.

Thank you everyone. I will try to look more regionally to save on interview costs, and see which top tier programs will be a good fit.

Which region of the country do you prefer to do a fellowship and/or practice post residency? Midwest? West Coast? Let's say you prefer the midwest for example. You could add 2 top ten programs from the west or east coast into the mix but why do both coasts?

Midwest programs= 10

East Coast (top tier)=2-3 vs West coast (top tier)=2

Here is a nice sample mix:

1. Univ. of Chicago
2. Northwestern
3. Wash U
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Ohio state
6. Michigan
7. Wisconsin
8. Cincinnati
9. Mayo Rochester
10. UCSF
11. Stanford
12. Minnesota

I bet you get interviews at 11 out 12 on that list and match at your number 1 or 2 program.
Of course, I know you will another 5-10 programs to that list but unless those are top 10-15 type programs it really isn't necessary.

Last edited:
If you're willing to do all that travel fit interviews, PLEASE consider UPMC/University of Pittsburgh.

Doesn't get included in "top 10" discussion all the time, but provides outstanding education-centric training.

If you're willing to do all that travel fit interviews, PLEASE consider UPMC/University of Pittsburgh.

Doesn't get included in "top 10" discussion all the time, but provides outstanding education-centric training.

There are plenty of excellent programs like wake vandy uab cornell pitt nyu sinai ucla ohsu uwash uf utsw and others that don't get mentioned 24/7 and will train you to be a top notch anesthesiologist.

There are plenty of excellent programs like wake vandy uab cornell pitt nyu sinai ucla ohsu uwash uf utsw and others that don't get mentioned 24/7 and will train you to be a top notch anesthesiologist.

Can't stress this post enough. Residents at these programs routinely get top notch fellowships as well. Be open and look around, you might be surprised.

As someone (long time lurker, first time poster) who interviewed at a handful of the "top 10" programs last year and ranked a program from Psai's post at the top of my list (and matched there) because it was a better fit (people, place, vibe, rotations/training, fellowship match), I second Psai's and AdmiralChz's posts. The program I'm at now was my very first interview and one that I considered to be, at the time, little more than a warm up for one of the "top programs" I planned on going to (hadn't quite checked my ego at the door). When I sat down to finalize my rank list, I couldn't ignore the fact that while the program may not be a "top" name (MGH, UCSF, Hopkins, Duke...) it was the program that I felt in my heart was the best match for me. So far, zero regrets. Except intern year. Intern year sucks.

As an aside, my least favorite program and interview of the season was a big name, "top 10" program...

What works for one doesn't work for another. There are plenty of good programs in the 10-30 list as well. Most programs in the top 30 offer outstanding training if the fit is a good one for you on a personal level. I've posted many times that I doubt MGH is really much better than say WashU or Pitt in terms of what they off their residents. I, for one, prefer the Southern USA so location matters to me which means I'm not going to interview at MGH or Hopkins. Instead, I would stay Regional with Duke, Wake, UNC, UAB, UF, Vandy, etc. This same philosophy should apply to most people looking to match: try to find a location and program which suites your needs. (FYI, after the Southern States I would include Texas on my list as you people interview at many more programs than in my day).

If you prefer the Mid-west then rank those programs at the top of your final match list if even it means ranking MGH dead last.

Last edited:
Could I get some advice on possible landing spots for me as well?

STATS:
Step 1: 256, Step 2: pending, hopefully>260
Third year Grades: Honors in IM, Neuro/Psych, Peds, Anesthesia; High Pass in Family, OB, Surgery
Letters: IM attending, Psych attending, 2 anesthesiologists

The only issue is there is no home department at my school, so I have had limited helpful advice from people in the know. I would prefer to go somewhere on the East Coast and was planning on applying pretty broadly from Boston to Florida, and also to select programs in California and Texas. I am currently considering a fellowship in Critical Care and so would obviously interested in programs with a strong emphasis on that aspect. Any programs I should definitely consider?...any to avoid? Any guidance would be helpful

Could I get some advice on possible landing spots for me as well?

STATS:
Step 1: 256, Step 2: pending, hopefully>260
Third year Grades: Honors in IM, Neuro/Psych, Peds, Anesthesia; High Pass in Family, OB, Surgery
Letters: IM attending, Psych attending, 2 anesthesiologists

The only issue is there is no home department at my school, so I have had limited helpful advice from people in the know. I would prefer to go somewhere on the East Coast and was planning on applying pretty broadly from Boston to Florida, and also to select programs in California and Texas. I am currently considering a fellowship in Critical Care and so would obviously interested in programs with a strong emphasis on that aspect. Any programs I should definitely consider?...any to avoid? Any guidance would be helpful

Stay on the East Coast like I did years ago. With your scores there is a 100% chance you will match unless there is a Felony on your record, you are psychopath or you voted for Donald Trump;)

Here is your list:

1. MGH
2. B and W
3. Hopkins
4. Penn
5. UVA
6. Duke
7. Wake
8. Vandy
9. WashU
10. UTSW
11. Stanford
12. UCSF
13. UCLA
14. UCSD

I honestly don't think you need programs 10-14 but the choice is yours. Feel free to "apply" to another 10 programs then weed it down to 10 first-tier interviews and 2 mid-tier interviews (12 total as you should include 2 upper mid tier programs as back-up)

Last edited:
Great. Thanks BladeMDA for the insight. Any thoughts on the strengths of the NY programs (NYU, Columbia, Cornell) or other lesser names on the East Coast (UNC, Maryland). I just want to make sure that I don't overestimate my competitiveness

Great. Thanks BladeMDA for the insight. Any thoughts on the strengths of the NY programs (NYU, Columbia, Cornell) or other lesser names on the East Coast (UNC, Maryland). I just want to make sure that I don't overestimate my competitiveness

The NYC programs will probably take a serious look at you, I think you will get interviews but no guarantee. Mt Sinai is also a great program.

Which region of the country do you prefer to do a fellowship and/or practice post residency? Midwest? West Coast? Let's say you prefer the midwest for example. You could add 2 top ten programs from the west or east coast into the mix but why do both coasts?

Midwest programs= 10

East Coast (top tier)=2-3 vs West coast (top tier)=2

Here is a nice sample mix:

1. Univ. of Chicago
2. Northwestern
3. Wash U
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. Ohio state
6. Michigan
7. Wisconsin
8. Cincinnati
9. Mayo Rochester
10. UCSF
11. Stanford
12. Minnesota

I bet you get interviews at 11 out 12 on that list and match at your number 1 or 2 program.
Of course, I know you will another 5-10 programs to that list but unless those are top 10-15 type programs it really isn't necessary.

Excuse me! Did you just put Ohio State over Michigan?