M4 with avg Step 1 but solid US school and ophtho research... Will I match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsOphthWannaB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going against me:
* Low 220s Step 1 score,
* Only one M3 honors (peds). HP in med, surg, psych, OB, and just a pass in neuro. I anticipate barely making it to the top 50% of my class,
* No approachable "Big Wigs" at my home institution and I opted not to do any away rotations, so I'll be settling for two ophtho LORs from attendings who know me and my work fairly well but may not carry as much weight.

Going for me:
* First author of ASCRS poster and second author of ARVO poster,
* Several other ophtho projects in the works (each of which I could talk about during interviews),
* Applying from a top 25 US allopathic medical school,
* Anticipate getting an honors in M4 ophtho (but I'm guessing nearly everyone who applies will have this, too)
* Some various extracurriculars

The average Step 1 for those who matched into ophtho last year was 236 while the average for those who didn't match was 210. I'm right in the middle but I'm determined to get into ophtho; I would re-apply during my prelim year if I didn't match, but I'd obviously like to avoid that if possible.

How likely is it that I'll match the first time around? I've been told that I interview well, but I'm worried that I won't make the cut-offs to get interview invitations in the first place. Besides applying early and applying broadly (I was thinking like 65+ programs), what else can I do to increase the likelihood of matching?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Going against me:
* Low 220s Step 1 score,
* Only one M3 honors (peds). HP in med, surg, psych, OB, and just a pass in neuro. I anticipate barely making it to the top 50% of my class,
* No approachable "Big Wigs" at my home institution and I opted not to do any away rotations, so I'll be settling for two ophtho LORs from attendings who know me and my work fairly well but may not carry as much weight.

Going for me:
* First author of ASCRS poster and second author of ARVO poster,
* Several other ophtho projects in the works (each of which I could talk about during interviews),
* Applying from a top 25 US allopathic medical school,
* Anticipate getting an honors in M4 ophtho (but I'm guessing nearly everyone who applies will have this, too)
* Some various extracurriculars

The average Step 1 for those who matched into ophtho last year was 236 while the average for those who didn't match was 210. I'm right in the middle but I'm determined to get into ophtho; I would re-apply during my prelim year if I didn't match, but I'd obviously like to avoid that if possible.

How likely is it that I'll match the first time around? I've been told that I interview well, but I'm worried that I won't make the cut-offs to get interview invitations in the first place. Besides applying early and applying broadly (I was thinking like 65+ programs), what else can I do to increase the likelihood of matching?

Thanks!

You probably already know this, but doing well on Step 2 helps erase some doubt about that Step 1 score at several institutions. Some previous applicants I have talked to have said that if your Step 1 score is lower than the cut-off, it will screen you out of some programs unless you have a great Step 2 score. Of course there are programs that will see past your scores, but for the ophtho match, you always want to maximize the aspects you can control.

Yeah I agree with the above post, if you can do well on step 2 I believe it will help you. I think you will be fine for the match, you might not get as many interviews due to your step 1, but i believe being from a top 25 med school and your publications will for sure help you. I met a lot of applicants like you on the interview trail and everyone I kept in contact with matched. Interviewing well will help your case. Overall I wouldnt worry about it too much (easier said than done) just do what you need, go to all the interviews you get and do well on them. Goodluck with the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel you have an excellent chance of matching.
Apply to MANY programs as you stated. With this, you will get enough interviews. Make your application perfect. Spend extra time on the p. statement. Mention you want to do peds if this is the case. The interviews will be very important for you.

Just thought you should hear one more opinion. I agree that you probably have a decent chance of matching, but I didn't want you to have unrealistic expectations. While the number of programs you apply to is important, perhaps more important is which 65 programs you apply to. I can tell you with some degree of certainty that lots of programs you might choose to apply to will categorically screen your application, and reject you. That is the simple truth, your board score is below 230. The bright side is, lots of other programs will not, you just have to be smart and not apply to 65 top tier to high-mid level programs that only interview great applicants. Being interested in pediatrics will help you at some programs and could possibly (maybe) hurt at others (if they have a weak department and don't think you would choose them because they can't meet your needs), but the benefit should outweigh the cost, because peds ophtho is generally underserved. Spend some time and choose where you apply wisely. Have a broad range and THEN I would agree with the above posts.

I think your chances are decent. Being from a top 25 school will help. So will your research. To be competitive, if your step 1 is below average, the rest of your application needs to be way above average. Apply to lots of programs. Don't aim for all top tier programs. Apply to smaller lesser known programs. Apply to the South and Midwest. And if you really want ophtho and don't get in I would not suggest doing an internship. Look for pre-residency fellowships or do a year of research at a well-known department with someone who will pull strings and go to bat for you.