MA-General Psychology necessary for admission to doctoral program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annakei

Therapist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions....

I am applying to a PsyD/PHD programs and hold a BA in Criminal Justice and taken a few courses in Psychology (Maladaptive Behavior and Psychopathology, Psychology of the Criminal Mind and Criminal Investigations--I had a stint in Forensic Psychology). For some time I had been looking for MA programs in Clinical or General Psychology to obtain some of the recommended/required courses: Research Methods, Experimental, Statistics etc. However, I found none at the time that would fut my schedule being that I work full time in the field.

Well, today I came across Catholic University's MA in General Psychology program. To my amazement, it is only 30 credits and can be completed in 1 calendar year. Therefore theoretically I can complete the program by next summer and if accepted into a doctoral proram, continue my studies. They also offer research opps with faculty, but I am getting research experience now at my current place of employment.

My question is it necessary to complete this MA program being that I don't have all the recommended/required courses?

The pros would be that by this time next year I will have a MA in General Psychology and would be able to teach an undergrad course in my first year AND if for some reason I don't get in to ANY doctoral programs, I will have an MA under my belt.

What do you think? Any negatives to applying and getting in? Ive been accepted to 2 other Counseling programs in the area, but they would not have all the necessary classes needed to make myself compeitive.

Here are the scools I plan to apply to for doctoral programs:

GWU (PsyD and PHD)
NOVA (PsyD and PHD)
Widener
LaSalle
MaryWood
Duke
Long Island University
Stanford
Virginia Consortium
George Mason
Carlos Alibizu