MA in Clinical Psychology -OR- MS in Psychology with a focus in....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LWDocD222

Reaction score
HI Everyone! I am going back to school to get my MA in psychology. I have a few questions about which program would give me the most options. Does anybody have any experience with either of these programs:
1. MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling- leads to licensure
2. MS in psychology with concentration in child/families, forensic, organizational or education.

I want to be a counselor, but I am also thinking about the future and the possiblilty of burnout. Would I have other options with the clinical degree besides counselor? For example, is there an option to take a few classes in psych education and work in the school setting?

Members don't see this ad.

1. MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling- leads to licensure
Don’t quote me but I think many terminal mental health master’s programs intended to produce clinicians typically grant MS degrees but there are plenty of non-license eligible MA psych programs out there so be careful. What specific program is this and what type of licensure is this program providing? I would always cross reference whatever a school’s material says with boards that actually grant licenses in state(s) you want to work. Additionally, I’d also make sure your degree and license is one that employers typically hire (for example, hospitals tend to hire LCSWs for clinical roles instead of LMFTs, LMHCs, and LPCs because LCSWs can typically bill Medicare while others can’t).
2. MS in psychology with concentration in child/families, forensic, organizational or education.
Concentrations tend to be for marketing purposes and just mean that you might get some extra electives in that area. For example, forensic assessments will always be done by PhDs but anybody with a relevant license and (usually) some experience can work in genera clinical roles in a forensic setting.
I want to be a counselor, but I am also thinking about the future and the possiblilty of burnout. Would I have other options with the clinical degree besides counselor?
If you want a masters level clinical degree with the maximum career flexibility, including non-counseling roles, the clear choice is a MSW degree with a counseling focus by a wide margin.
For example, is there an option to take a few classes in psych education and work in the school setting?
I could be wrong but schools employ guidance counselors, school psychologists and social workers so this is an area where degree portability probably would not work in your favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with everything Therapist4Chnge had to say. I think if I had to pick between those two, the MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling provides more flexibility since you can get licensed. If you were to move states, that degree also provides flexibility in getting licensed elsewhere. Some states allow licensure with masters in psych but many also do not, since it’s not a counseling degree.

I would highly encourage you to look at Masters in Social Work degrees. I think those provide the most opportunities, across different settings, and is a very versatile degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a counselor, but I am also thinking about the future and the possiblilty of burnout. Would I have other options with the clinical degree besides counselor? For example, is there an option to take a few classes in psych education and work in the school setting?

I'm curious what other options you want if you want to do counseling at the master's level. As far as mid-level degrees go, social work offers the most flexibility.

Reactions: 1 user