MA in General Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suzanne51

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my BA in Psychology. Prior to entering a masters program, I did research as thoroughly as I could. Ultimately, I decided an MSW would be the best way to get a degree, get into the field, and start working as soon as possible. Two months into beginning the program, I realized this was the worst decision I could have made... sacrificing my passion for psychology in order to get a faster degree. In my panic, I quit the program (after finishing the semester) and joined an MA in General Psych because it did not require the GRE.

Now that I'm in this program, I realize I may have made another foolish mistake in my panic. I plan to go for my PhD, but in case that doesn't happen, I am now in a program which has little hope for a career in the future. I have no interest in substance abuse (the only thing that seems to come out of this degree) so I'm now wondering what options might exist that I don't know about. I live in the NYC/Long Island area, which seems to limit my options quite a bit.

Just wondering... what options might be out there for a MA in General Psych degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Research assistant / Project coordinator positions? Check universities and (especially) teaching hospitals.

Everyone I know with MA's in General Psych is now doing some kind of research position either for the state or in the private sector. You may also be able to adjunct at a community college or teach at a private high school depending on where you live, but expect there to be lots of competition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me like you should go back and pursue your MSW. You'll learn to enjoy it.

Very Respectfully,
Sal

Reactions: 1 user
My advice is to try and get a certificate in Marriage & Family Therapy. I do not know the regulations in NY, but as your state neighbor (NJ)...It MIGHT be similar.

Good luck to you.

Will your current program make you eligible for an LHMC?