MA/MEd or MSW in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vivian92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Longtime lurker here - I have a few questions about grad school that I was hoping you all could help me with.

I've just finished my third year as a Psych major and Behavioural Science minor at McGill University. Grad school applications are this fall and I'm a bit confused about my options.

I've ruled out applying for clinical psych PhD programs as I'm not crazy about research (as I've learned from volunteering in three different labs). I'm also not particularly interested in teaching. I am, however, totally excited about a career providing therapy and maybe conducting assessments on the side. I'm looking for a degree that will allow me to do these things with maximum flexibility. I'm currently debating between an MA/MEd in counselling psych and an MSW. I will be staying in Canada for grad school.

Specifically, what I want from my degree is to 1) be eligible for reimbursement from insurance companies 2) to minimize the degree of required supervision (ie. be able to practice independently), and 3) to be qualified to practice in the US in case I ever want to move there (I understand I'd have to get re-certified).

With that said, can anyone guide me towards which degree I should pursue?

Note: I've read that the MSW provides more flexibility in the US, but I'm not sure about the situation in Canada. However, I'm a bit concerned that the MSW is not specialized enough in therapy itself.

A million thanks in advance :)
Vivian

Members don't see this ad.