MA Psychology MFT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spirit guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
My other post wasn't answered and after consideration,
I will be taking this Masters Program instead.

http://www.antiochsea.edu/academics/psychology/cft-overview.html

I will be getting a BA in spiritual studies. I will be getting the required courses within the next few months, as they were not offered this quarter. I already have the hours of exp. and one of the prereqs needed for the program. I have a year before I complete my BA, so I have time to do the reqs.
I have worked in a mental hospital before, so I have experience.

As far as work, I plan to incorporate spirituality(not religion!! for those who do not know the differnce) into my work with patients, allowing them to find their purpose within the world spiritually and also be able to secure a spiritual foundation for themselves, as I believe this to be very important in the long run for recovery from trauma, addiction, etc.

So, my question is, do MFT make make more $$ than MHC?
With this program, would I still need 2 year post hours to sit for the exam, or could I sit for it after I graduate?

Also, what kind of jobs can a person get who has an MA in psychology with Marriage family therapist? Would I need to be licensed or can I just work without the license? I INTEND TO GET THE LICENSE, but I'm worried about jobs during the 2 year post grad program.

Could I do Case managers, rehab clinics/ eating disorder/drug rehab?
I want to work with eating disorders and drug addicts, and eventually
terminal illness.

Can I work with children and youth and adults as individuals as well,
or strictly with couples and/or families?

I want to work with all aspects- individuals and families.

Thank you for responding.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, my question is, do MFT make make more $$ than MHC?

This is a highly variable answer. Masters level therapists in general aren't exactly raking it in. MFTs may make more and they may make less. I think generally, it's about the same.

Also, what kind of jobs can a person get who has an MA in psychology with Marriage family therapist? Would I need to be licensed or can I just work without the license? I INTEND TO GET THE LICENSE, but I'm worried about jobs during the 2 year post grad program.

I don't know about LMFTs, but for LPCs, they are an LPCi (i=intern) for the first two years until they are fully lisenced. I'm betting its the same for LMFTs. How else could you get clinical hours without doing clinical work?

Could I do Case managers, rehab clinics/ eating disorder/drug rehab?
I want to work with eating disorders and drug addicts, and eventually
terminal illness.

Yes! Most LMFTs I know start off as case managers or discharge planners. Case management count as clinical hours (at least for LPCs and LMSWs), so it may be helpful in achieving a full license.

Can I work with children and youth and adults as individuals as well,
or strictly with couples and/or families?

LMFTs are trained to work with families. Families defintely include everyone in the age spectrum both as individuals and as parts of a system. So yes, you can and are trained to work with those populations. Some may argue that MFT training is less "clinically" sound, but I believe that to be a gross overgeneralization.