MA vs RA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumption

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't had luck with the PhD programs I applied to, so I'm trying to figure out what to do for the next year or two before re-applying.
I've been an RA for a year, but will not be staying on where I am.
I was accepted at an MA program at a school whose PhD I applied to (when I wasn't accepted or even invited to interview, they asked if I wanted to convert my app to an MA app). I haven't visited the school, but was very interested in it when I applied, and there are several Professors whose work I'm interested in.
My other possible option is to be an RA for another year or two (I have an interview at one great place in 2 weeks).

I would be very interested in hearing opinions from people about which they think is better for getting into a PhD program next time around.
Thanks!!​

Members don't see this ad.

Sending you a PM...:)

I say RA, for two reasons: 1) money-- get paid instead of paying; 2) most MA programs at places with Ph.D. programs aren't great--- you'll play second fiddle to Ph.D. students, and you cannot count on getting accepted into the Ph.D. program when you're done.

Check out these other threads here and here for comments on MA's--not directly related to MA vs. RA but provides you with some thoughts on master's degrees in general. I know there's another thread around where others have discussed MA vs. RA but can't seem to find it just yet.

Keep in mind that there are master's programs that will you pay you--although they may be few & far between. And, there are master's programs that do not have doctoral programs at the same university, so you're not necessarily "playing second fiddle" to anyone. Furthermore, you can't count on getting accepted to a PhD program regardless of what route you choose. Do what is best for you as this is not a "one size fits all" process.