Mac Compatibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflwr85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose it's a little early to start thinking about this, but I've been doing some research on the kind of computer I'm going to get before med school (assuming I don't attend a school that requires a specific model). I'm considering switching to a mac, but I'm a litle concerned about compatibility issues between macs and PCs when it comes to school stuff. Anyone have any input to offer, particularly current med students? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm totally switching to Mac. My trusty Dell is becoming a paper weight. I doubt compatibility is a problem, almost everything works for a Mac now. And what crazy programs are you going to be running besides Office and IM? If it's really a problem, buy a copy of Vista and use BootCamp to run Windows on your new Mac, then you can run any Windows only programs. I actually read that Vista runs faster on a Mac than a PC. Screwed that one up, didn't you Gates?

i'm waiting for the new macs to come out... when they do, i'm going to buy myself a mac notebook for med school and my dad is getting a mac desktop for himself. in the meantime, we bought a pc (win vista) laptop... i already want to throw this thing out the window. it sucks so much i could kill it. programs are always quitting, it takes FOREVER to start and shut down, and it has a really annoying cancel/allow thing that i'm afraid if i turn off then viruses will invade my computer.
viva la mac!

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone seen the "cancel or allow" ad by Apple?
its effing :laugh:

else of annoying premed nerds?

I have a Macbook Pro and absolutely love it. I really recommend switching.

I have a Macbook Pro and absolutely love it. I really recommend switching.

me too. i actually installed parallels last week with windows xp because i needed to use spss - i can't believe how fast it is! ms word opens up 5x faster in windows xp than it does in os x! i don't think i'll be putting vista on for a while though - i really don't see any advantages, and would prefer to have windows 2000 if it were allowed.

me too. i actually installed parallels last week with windows xp because i needed to use spss - i can't believe how fast it is! ms word opens up 5x faster in windows xp than it does in os x! i don't think i'll be putting vista on for a while though - i really don't see any advantages, and would prefer to have windows 2000 if it were allowed.

Word only opens faster in XP because Microsoft hasn't released it as a Universal Binary yet. It should be out in the next few months, but I just use Pages and Keynote instead of Office.

Word only opens faster in XP because Microsoft hasn't released it as a Universal Binary yet. It should be out in the next few months, but I just use Pages and Keynote instead of Office.

i know; i'm just a former virtual pc user so to see anything open fast in xp is amazing. but i'm sorry, pages is crap.

You might want to check on pda compatibility with macs. I'd think there must be solutions for this but its the only issue that sticks out in my mind. Also some schools do testing on computers, you might want to double check this too to make sure the software will be mac compatibile.

And as for windows vista . . . I'd do anything possible to avoid putting tat crappy software on my computer. Luckily, i don't think UNC will upgrade to vista before august so i might get to dodge the bullet on this one. When will microsoft learn that all i want is a simple stable FAST operating system. Not one with a bunch of useless garbage and cutesy graphics that i don't want and suck up resources like crazy.

I was forced to take and pay for a gateway during orientation and I still mourn for the mac I could have had. There is a program that we test thru that is windows only and the tech people at my school don't know anything about macs so they didn't even realize the new ones could run it, wahhh. So I'm stuck with a piece o crap, and everytime I see the mac commercials it just reminds me of everything I despise about it. If you have the freedom to get a mac I highly highly reccomend it. I got my first mac, a desktop imac, in undergrad and have been in love ever since. I can't wait until I can afford a new laptop to use when not testing so I don't have to stare at this craptastic gateway anymore.

Haha, about the only thing that has next to zero mac compatibility is the AMCAS website. The only browser compatible with it was the ancient IE for Mac, which you will have trouble finding anywhere (since Microsoft no longer provides downloads or support for it). For any Mac users in the 2008 cycle, hope they fix that for you.

There is no software for Macs. Don't waste your time. The only industry that uses Macs is graphic design.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, about the only thing that has next to zero mac compatibility is the AMCAS website. The only browser compatible with it was the ancient IE for Mac, which you will have trouble finding anywhere (since Microsoft no longer provides downloads or support for it). For any Mac users in the 2008 cycle, hope they fix that for you.

There is a plug-in for Safari called Safari Enhancer that easily overrides this. It changes the user agent so that websites think you're using IE. As a result, I was able to use Safari for AMCAS.

:laugh: Wow, you are really off-base here.

Yeah, every science researcher I've met uses a mac because the platform has been sooo much more stable so much less risk of losing data etc. Thats actually how I was forcibly introduced to them, I had to figure out how to use them to be able to do research at all, and then I fell in love with them. But yeah, saying only graphic designers use them is ridiculous.

PC NEVER! MAC FOREVER! :love:

I'm a recent mac convert, and I'm sure as hell never going back. I initially planned on installing XP and bootcamp, but I've found that it's unecessary; I've been able to find all the software I need mac compatible, and it's only going to get better, since sales have been through the roof since they released the intel macs.

And I don't know how many of you do any kind of academic writing, but there's a program called Sente that is like EndNote or Reference Manager etc., that is Mac only, and is undoubtedly the very best program of its sort I've ever used.

I switched from a PC to a mac last year. Honestly, I don't love it. I think it's beautifual to LOOK at, but functionally I don't think the software or layout is superior to a PC. Macs have some neat features, still. Microsoft Office for Mac is great, but that's about it. I hate iChat (and my AIM always quits unexpectedly so I can't use it). I'm also frustrated with the mac because both my mighty mouse and external keyboard (both wireless) are unreliable and have quite a temperment. My mouse decides to scroll on its own, and sometimes the signal is all screwed up (so you can't move it well) and the keyboard doesn't keep up with my typing speed (it's not a battery problem). Safari (web browser) also quits unexpectedly all the time. So those who tell you that there are never weird errors or program freezes with the mac are wrong. One plus is that viruses are practically non-existent.

Bottom line: Macs and PC's are both nice, but I think PC is still the superior machine, even though apple's marketing is amazing.

i heart my mac. i run office and AIM, safari, firefox, and like eighteen other things with no problem. and its not even new.
i have trouble with my work PC freezing up all the time.

the original windows was a mac wannabe anyway.

I switched from a PC to a mac last year. Honestly, I don't love it. I think it's beautifual to LOOK at, but functionally I don't think the software or layout is superior to a PC. Macs have some neat features, still. Microsoft Office for Mac is great, but that's about it. I hate iChat (and my AIM always quits unexpectedly so I can't use it). I'm also frustrated with the mac because both my mighty mouse and external keyboard (both wireless) are unreliable and have quite a temperment. My mouse decides to scroll on its own, and sometimes the signal is all screwed up (so you can't move it well) and the keyboard doesn't keep up with my typing speed (it's not a battery problem). Safari (web browser) also quits unexpectedly all the time. So those who tell you that there are never weird errors or program freezes with the mac are wrong. One plus is that viruses are practically non-existent.

Bottom line: Macs and PC's are both nice, but I think PC is still the superior machine, even though apple's marketing is amazing.

Perhaps you need to screw around with the keyboard system pref? Maybe you need to run software update? Maybe you need to run disk utility? Maybe you need to zap the PRAM?

Run Disk utility then do the rest. If the computer doesn't run any better after that you may have another problem. If your clock battery is old you may need to replace it if you are having any issues.

By the way everyone, just because macs are far easier to use for the average user doesn't mean that there is no maintenance required to keep it in top shape.

I have a Dell laptop but my desktop is a mac. My wife uses a mac laptop (not sure what the model is). I have never experienced a problem with compatability. I use office for mac and it runs smoothly and I think it is a little more user friendly than office for windows. I use idisk to swap files back and forth with no problem.

My Dell takes forever to start up and the program are very slow. I also have programs freezing up and quitting a lot. Both the desktop and laptop macs run beautifully and have never froze or quit programs on me. Once I can afford a new laptop I plan on buying a mac.

I also can't wait until I can afford the new iphone. If you haven't seen it go to the iphone website.

I'm running a PIII 400MHz w/3x128MB RAM, and Win2K.

I never have any problems with programs shutting down or programs running slow, and I only reset my computer about once every 6 months... maybe not liking PC's is more of a problem with the user than with the computer ? :laugh: :D

That being said, I was seriously considering getting a mac as my next computer.... but, they're comparatively more expensive and could be a hassle when collaborating on papers/presentations with other PC users.

Cost. Absolutely. But collaborating isn't a problem. A word file is a word file. And Google spreadsheets/docs still works on macs and is really great for real-time collaboration.

... but, they're comparatively more expensive and could be a hassle when collaborating on papers/presentations with other PC users.

It has been my experience that the majority of people using a PC use microsoft office for papers/presentations. I use microsoft office on my PC laptop. I have never had any problems going back and forth from PC to Mac office for the numerous papers/presentations I have prepared. Macs are somewhat more expensive, but I have learned you really do get what you pay for.

Didn't see one yet, so time for a shameless linux plug:thumbup:
You can run windows on VMWare, and now that mac is switching over to the intel chipset, OS X works too. Take advantage of them all. Haven't noticed much of a performance difference when running XP. Plus, theres all the free open-source software you could want. :D

It has been my experience that the majority of people using a PC use microsoft office for papers/presentations. I use microsoft office on my PC laptop. I have never had any problems going back and forth from PC to Mac office for the numerous papers/presentations I have prepared. Macs are somewhat more expensive, but I have learned you really do get what you pay for.
Cost. Absolutely. But collaborating isn't a problem. A word file is a word file. And Google spreadsheets/docs still works on macs and is really great for real-time collaboration.
Ever give someone a presentation file (powerpoint) and when you bring it up it didn't display the way you expected? Sometimes that happens when two people have different versions of the program (again, ppt files) and sometimes when switching from PC/Mac. The same can happen with MS-word files as well.

I have never had any problems with my PC, but I don't claim that it is perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love Mac's, but lets stop pretending that Mac's don't have some problems also, ok? If they really were perfect, people wouldn't post things like this (old but still funny): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axC-7O4Yq-w&NR

I have never had any problems with my PC, but I don't claim that it is perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love Mac's, but lets stop pretending that Mac's don't have some problems also, ok? If they really were perfect, people wouldn't post things like this (old but still funny): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axC-7O4Yq-w&NR

Obviously they're not perfect, but in general I see far fewer CONSTANT and CONSISTENT problems with Macs. Also I can't really find anything funny about that video cuz not a single thing the guy says is true. Its only funny if its true...so if they had just found some true problems with Macs and made fun of them - then it would be funny.

Ever give someone a presentation file (powerpoint) and when you bring it up it didn't display the way you expected? Sometimes that happens when two people have different versions of the program (again, ppt files) and sometimes when switching from PC/Mac. The same can happen with MS-word files as well.

I've seen that one before; something about TIFF compression of images in powerpoint and needing quicktime...

Most of the problems though can be fixed by good practices such as sending only plaintext emails, not using crazy fonts, using the most common image formats (.jpg, .gif), using common movie formats (.mpg not .mov), etc.

One issues, for some people, with macs is they are designed to work as the original system. So upgrading your video card or whatever is not recommended and may actually slow down the overall system as it is designed specifically for the components it comes with. With PCs and even Linux boxes they are meant to be configurable. Personally, I never really upgrade components in my computer (and I use it for high-power processing). Some people do, mostly gamers.