MAC or GETA for gastric balloon removal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcotics999

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had my first case a few days ago. First time for GI MD too.

Did not suspect too much, I started the case as regular EGD with Propofol. Scope in, saw big balloon. 100ml out, food junk appeared. Requested GI to take out the scope and intubated the pt.

GI MD and staff whined. Just small food particles as the scope is 10x magnified. GI room not equipped with ventilator. Blah blah.

The food junk is not small and of significant quantity. The case took more than 1hour (liquid removal not efficient, balloon slippery).

I am thinking GETA for this type of case in the future. Also recommend soft diet the night before procedure.

What is your approach? I don’t have much experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We do these with some regularity at one our outpatient GI gigs. Our official group policy is that MAC is fine for balloon placement, but GETA for all balloon removals.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We do these with some regularity at one our outpatient GI gigs. Our official group policy is that MAC is fine for balloon placement, but GETA for all balloon removals.

What about last preop-meal? The stomach is littered with food with standard NPO guideline.

What about last preop-meal? The stomach is littered with food with standard NPO guideline.

Not really sure what you're asking. We go by standard NPO guidelines. Once the balloon has been in there, the stomach never empties that well. Hence the GETA for all removals.

Not really sure what you're asking. We go by standard NPO guidelines. Once the balloon has been in there, the stomach never empties that well. Hence the GETA for all removals.
What I mean is since the stomach does not empty well, should I request soft diet or less for the last preop meal to decrease particulate residue?

I have read none of the comments, nor the OP’s post. I am responding solely on the title alone.
If you ask MAC vs GA, then most likely you will be glad you went with GA.

I don’t know how to read this.
I’m looking for the hilarious smartass comment. I know it’s in there somewhere. I just can’t find it.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know how to read this.
I’m looking for the hilarious smartass comment. I know it’s in there somewhere. I just can’t find it.

I try to maintain a 9:1 ratio of sarcastic off-color comments to clinically relevant useful information.