Technology Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So does anyone have it yet? I'm am like on the edge of getting it, simply to have the next best thing, but I'm scared that my iFlash notecard program may not be 100% compatible with it. So yeah, how is everyone liking Leopard so far?

Members don't see this ad.

some folks that preordered it got it in the mail today, and I think the Gold Master version has been out on Usenet for a day or two

Members don't see this ad :)
not to piss on your parade here, but what makes the leopard so great? and helping you so much through med school? i looked at the program b/c i was going to get it but didn't see what was so awesome.
i'm on my mac os-x now so i'm not hatin', just wondering....

not to piss on your parade here, but what makes the leopard so great? and helping you so much through med school? i looked at the program b/c i was going to get it but didn't see what was so awesome.
Some people can just read over their lecture notes over and over again, and the information will stick. I can't learn that way. I have to be asked the information in the form of a question. Rather than bugging people to quiz me all the time, this program allows me to quiz myself. I can even load my flash cards on my iPod and study them while I'm on the go. I can quiz myself on heart sounds cause the program allows you to record your voice directly onto a flash card or you can attach or sound or a picture. The program definitely could be better (and whenever v.3 comes out it should be), but for right now, its what I need. I hope people don't think I work for them though :).

As for leopard, there really isn't one thing that makes me want to get it, but as with most geeks, just the fact that its new is grounds for getting it. I do like the TimeMachine function and the increased functionality of Preview, Quickview, iChat, and Mail. Plus I'm still new to the Mac world :), so it'll be some time before I get off the Leopard high :).

Core Animation, resolution independence (when it's activated in 2008), increased functionality in Mail, backup with Time Machine (requires a second hard drive though), "Back to my Mac" (allows remote access to your desktop machine when away from home), and even the cosmetic appearances are the reasons I'm upgrading. Plus, I'm a technology freak, so I always must have the most up to date stuff. Some cool new things are coming to the iPhone soon now that Leopard has been released.

Core Animation, resolution independence (when it's activated in 2008), increased functionality in Mail, backup with Time Machine (requires a second hard drive though), "Back to my Mac" (allows remote access to your desktop machine when away from home), and even the cosmetic appearances are the reasons I'm upgrading. Plus, I'm a technology freak, so I always must have the most up to date stuff. Some cool new things are coming to the iPhone soon now that Leopard has been released.
Describe "Core Animation". Concerning "resolution independence", I'm assuming this means that the OS is now completely vector based?

Number one reason. Time Machine. I'm so lay and haven't had enough time to regularly backup my data. So having it will make it much easier.

A2DP support for bluetooth devices. Very good for headphones.

Taking advantage of my new iMac's speed is a plus too.

Changing hard disk size partitions as much and how much you want it.

I bought it on Amazon and got the free shipping so I'm still waiting for it. Not that you save much over the education price, but it is still $13.96 cheaper due to no tax.

well I installed Leopard and everything is working fine, including iFlash. Mail is WAY faster, and I like the built in RSS reader. I'm not huge on RSS, so its enough for me. The graphics are nicer, and despite the controversy, I like the stacks.

well I installed Leopard and everything is working fine, including iFlash. Mail is WAY faster, and I like the built in RSS reader. I'm not huge on RSS, so its enough for me. The graphics are nicer, and despite the controversy, I like the stacks.
I like the stacks, too. I have it set to grid though. I'm not a fan of the fan (no pun intended).

I really like the cool new look. I don't like the text box that pops up when you start a new iChat chat. I prefer the symbols of the text, audio, and video options instead of a drop down menu.