macbook air 13" vs macbook 15" (retina)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hah. Definitely did not expect this many responses, but this is great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to throw some fuel in the fire, ordered a Chromebook for $65 after some mad discounts on Amazon. Cost of dinner & drinks for another computer? Count me in. Hopefully this will be an interesting experiment.

Tell me about these discounts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Time to contradict myself.

I just set $1600 on the table and ordered a refurb 15" rMBP from apple. 2.4Ghz quad core i7, 8gb ram, Nvidia GT 650M. Why did I decide against the air? My school streams 100% of lectures and I'll watch those streams 100% of the time. I'll be doing all of my studying from home, as I always have, so I want a machine that's better suited to do so. I'll miss the portability of the Air, but I live 8 miles from school and will only take it there on exam days. Also, I was going to spend $1300 on the air, so for $300 more I got the computer I really wanted and also got a computer that I think will last quite a bit longer.

Why refurbished? Well, as a rule I never buy refurbished electronics. Apple refurbs are different. In fact, every apple product I've ever bought besides my iPhone was refurbed. Apple inspects and tests them 100%, replaces most parts even if there are no issues, and slaps a warranty on it. You can even get apple care just as you could a new macbook. Many even think refurbed macs have lower rates of failure as they are ALL inspected thoroughly as opposed to SOME of the new ones.

So, that's my spiel. 4 years from now if I'm in the mood to upgrade I bet I can get $800+ for the rMBP and probably $500 for the MBA, just like I did my last macbook.

Good call. I actually forgot about the refurb option until I saw this. I was going to do something similar in terms of my MBA upgrades so I thought an additional $400 for the laptop I really wanted was worth it. I actually went with the late 2013 model instead of the mid 2012/early 2013 you got.

Just wanted to check in and update on my purchase. There is no coming back after retina display. And 15" of real estate is priceless. Worth every penny.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to check in and update on my purchase. There is no coming back after retina display. And 15" of real estate is priceless. Worth every penny.

Did they at least improve the heat sink? My MBP can probably be used in metallurgery projects as a forge sometimes when I stream high quality videos.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they at least improve the heat sink? My MBP can probably be used in metallurgery projects as a forge sometimes when I stream high quality videos.

I've read that the 15" can put out some heat, but truthfully I haven't put mine through any graphically demanding processes yet. The fans haven't even kicked on for me yet.

Just to throw some fuel in the fire, ordered a Chromebook for $65 after some mad discounts on Amazon. Cost of dinner & drinks for another computer? Count me in. Hopefully this will be an interesting experiment.

Go on...

I made it through 5 years with a Macbook Pro 13" which I gifted to my wife when I went to an Air 13".

I currently don't see the need for anything bigger.