JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So the time has finally come for me to buy a new computer. I have few questions regarding the 13.3 inch pro. My questions are:

1) 2.26 vs 2.53 GHz. Does it matter? Will I notice any difference if I choose the 2.26? I'm using this mainly for basic stuff like web browsing, word, power point.

2) Memory: 2 GB or 4 GB?

3) Besides looks, is there any big difference between the aluminum pro and the white macbook?

Also, I hear in the summer apple will have new models with the i7 processor, which I assume will raise prices a little. I am buying from my university, so at this time I can get the current macbook pro 13.3 inch aluminum with 2.26 GHz processor and 2GB memory for 999.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So the time has finally come for me to buy a new computer. I have few questions regarding the 13.3 inch pro. My questions are:

1) 2.26 vs 2.53 GHz. Does it matter? Will I notice any difference if I choose the 2.26? I'm using this mainly for basic stuff like web browsing, word, power point.

2) Memory: 2 GB or 4 GB?

3) Besides looks, is there any big difference between the aluminum pro and the white macbook?

Also, I hear in the summer apple will have new models with the i7 processor, which I assume will raise prices a little. I am buying from my university, so at this time I can get the current macbook pro 13.3 inch aluminum with 2.26 GHz processor and 2GB memory for 999.
White computer nerds would say get the faster processor, a regular computer user would see little difference between the two unless you are playing action packed games.

Always go with more memory, can't have enough

Also new MacBooks are around the corner I would say wait a few weeks at most if you don't want buyers remorse but if you can't wait get what you can afford no more. If you take care of it the Mac will last you several years of use.

Feb 7, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
for the purposes you stated you will not notice a diff in the processor

yes 4gb of RAM is better, but isnt it like $600 more for the extra 2gb? Again, not needed for what you want to do

the main diff between the pro and the regular book is the aluminum casing, which is heavier. It also has a backlit keyboard (which is awesome) and a memory card reader for digital picture use

i bought the 15 inch macbook pro and my only regret is not buying a 13 inch. I dont game on it, and the 15 is a bit too big and heavy. Other than that absolutely AMAZING computer.

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the responses. The better processor and ram is 350 more. I'm debatig whether or not to get that one.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I bought a MacBook Pro 13 inch last year and went with the slower processor but upgraded the RAM to 4gb.

I'm happy with the speed. It's fast to me. I have the aluminum body and I personally think it's a better choice. I've seen folks with plastic that has slight cracks and crumbles at the seams after a year or two.

1UP

...I'm happy with the speed. It's fast to me. I have the aluminum body and I personally think it's a better choice. I've seen folks with plastic that has slight cracks and crumbles at the seams after a year or two.
I've also seen my fair share of aluminum powerbook/macbook systems that had serious dents, scratches, and fatigued hinges after only a few years. It's a give/take on both sides.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Wait until April 13th. 15" and 17" are getting an upgrade. Not sure about the 13". If you want 4GB of RAM upgrade it yourself. Do not buy from Apple. As for the difference between the two processors it doesn't make much difference. My 2GHz original aluminum MB is still hopping along quite well. (4GB does make a difference though with RAM).

As for aluminum and dents I just got a nice dent on the top of my original aluminum MB a few months ago. It was sitting in my room on the ground and a plastic box fell down and dented it.

Captopril

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2008
The ICU
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Apple not only allows, but encourages you to put in extra RAM yourself. (I say this because they have full illustrated instructions on their website). It's super easy, and super cheaper than getting it put in by Apple. Use newegg.com to purchase the RAM, and install them yourself.

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Apple not only allows, but encourages you to put in extra RAM yourself. (I say this because they have full illustrated instructions on their website). It's super easy, and super cheaper than getting it put in by Apple. Use newegg.com to purchase the RAM, and install them yourself.

Wow, it does look really simple. As for the ram, is there any noticeable difference between 4 and 8GB?

1UP

I can't imagine needing more than 4 now on a consumer machine for anything other than full HD video editing, complex scientific modeling, or complex, full motion 3D animation.

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
New MacBooks released today, you are now free to order
Nice, I like this, faster processor, increased battery life, graphics, more default harddrive space and 4 GB default ram for the 13 inch.

Unless they're gonna come out with a new one come june, looks like im gonna get this one now guys.

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Really? They have some kind of deal?
usually in the summer they've been giving a free iPod touch if you buy an iMac or a Macbook and are a student. I got one last year that way.

1UP

I'd def. wait to see if it happens again. It's not like the price of the hardware is going to go up if you wait.

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Status
I'm not very tech-savy for starters...

How do students use the macbook pro in the classroom?

1) Do you just record lectures with it?
2) Do you record and type at the same time?

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm not very tech-savy for starters...

How do students use the macbook pro in the classroom?

1) Do you just record lectures with it?
2) Do you record and type at the same time?
The MacBook pro is just a laptop. Anything that you'd do with a laptop in lecture to take notes is what you with it.

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Blah, I'm indecisive. One of my friends just showed me the lenovo thinkpad t410. I'm still leaning towards buying the pro 13'', but that lenovo really does sound good. Has anyone had experiences with lenovo, specifically this t410? Wish I could just have both:(

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Do you want to use the Mac OS or Windows 7? That's what it boils down to.

Is the t410 the one with the i3 or the i5? How much is it and where are you buying from?
I've never used mac OS before or Windows 7. I have great things about both. I'd get the lenovo straight from their site because of their american express discount and then the earth day coupon. However, the coupon supposedly ends tomorrow. I was looking up online and thought that the i3 was all i really needed, I'd just get a 4GB memory. All together with discounts, it would cost around 950 bucks prior to tax.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
It's going to boil down to personal preference. I would think that the computers are pretty equivalent in performance though the MBP will likely have better graphics power if you got the 410 with Intel graphics. The Lenovo doesn't have bluetooth I think so if you want to use a mouse with bluetooth it won't work. The battery life is also going to be very short compared to what you would get on the Mac. (Also the weight is going to vary depending which cell battery you choose). MBP 4.5 lbs. Lenovo 5lbs or 5.35 lbs. That is fairly light as far as notebooks go but the MBP is both light and has great battery life. The Lenovo does include a 7200RPM HDD as far as I know so that may make a slight difference but not much.

I'm biased but I think once you start spending over $850 for a notebook you might as well be getting a Mac.

Assuming 6% tax
So Lenovo $950+tax=$1007
Apple MBP 13" 2.4 $1099+tax (plus printer up to $99)=$1170.89
Wait a month for the iPod Touch and (if you wouldn't want to keep it) sell on ebay to get about $100 after taxes and fees are calculated in (Usually sells for roughly $150) with original retail of $199 your total cost to you is $1081.83.