Technology Macbooks for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmcusc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a first year, and I was just wondering how many people use macs and how it has worked out so far. I know what kind of PC i would get, but I was just wondering how using a mac is working out for some of you. If you use a mac, do u also have windows on it or what?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be a first year, and I was just wondering how many people use macs and how it has worked out so far. I know what kind of PC i would get, but I was just wondering how using a mac is working out for some of you. If you use a mac, do u also have windows on it or what?

I use a mac as do several other people in my M2 class. None of us use windows on it, just Mac OS. Haven't had any problems so far, though I do use microsoft office (Free download from my school's technology site), so I don't know how the native office-esque stuff works. :)

I've been using a macbook and have been very pleased with it. Don't think I can ever go back to a PC. In my opinion, it's a much more efficient product, and I have yet to experience problems with the mac (I've owned mine for almost a year). I do have windows set up through parallels, but only use it if there are course related programs incompatible with the mac OS. You can install microsoft office on the mac OS, so you shouldn't have any problems meeting your academic needs. Hope this info helps

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a mac, and I've only run across a few things I needed windows for (I run parallels when I need to):
1) The practice software from NBME. You'll use this when taking your steps - it only works in windows.
2) A couple of handy resources like histotime and Netters CD.

But all in all you'll be fine with a mac.

I bought my first mac right before medical school and I don't think I'll ever go back to PC. Mac OSX is currently a smoother running operating system and is much more aesthetically pleasing.

However, I do have windows via bootcamp, but I only use that for gaming.

Would you go with a macbook or a macbook pro?

Would you go with a macbook or a macbook pro?

Do you want to have a 15" monitor? If so, get the macbook pro. If not, get the new aluminum macbook.

The new macbook is as powerful as my macbook pro is (I bought it last summer). If I were to buy another today, it would be the new 13" macbook.

Well to offer a dissenting opinion, I was given a new mac as a graduation present after my PC died ( it was secondhand, and 5 years old). I have to say, while it's nice havng a brand new computer for the first time, I don't really like how the mac is set up at all. I'm not a big computer person, so all I use it for is storing files and researching/writing, and I just don't like how it is set up to store things. Also it has been a pain to have to re-learn how to use it and get everything done, switching formats every time I want to send a file to someone without a mac... I will be selling mine and getting a PC before school starts.

Well to offer a dissenting opinion, I was given a new mac as a graduation present after my PC died ( it was secondhand, and 5 years old). I have to say, while it's nice havng a brand new computer for the first time, I don't really like how the mac is set up at all. I'm not a big computer person, so all I use it for is storing files and researching/writing, and I just don't like how it is set up to store things. Also it has been a pain to have to re-learn how to use it and get everything done, switching formats every time I want to send a file to someone without a mac... I will be selling mine and getting a PC before school starts.

Yeah you really don't want to be relearning how to use a mac when you're in med school. So if anyone has never used a mac before you definitely want room to learn. It takes a month or so and then a lot of people don't ever want to go back but its not for everyone.

I'm curious what exactly it is about storing files that you don't like? I love how easy it is to drag and drop to move stuff on my mac, and how awesome the built-in search programs are. Windows XP always expected you to know where to search for what you wanted...if I knew where it was I wouldn't be searching for it. Be careful, if you get a new PC. Windows Vista has taken up a lot of the mac way of moving, storing and searching for files so you may have the same frustrations.

Yeah you really don't want to be relearning how to use a mac when you're in med school. So if anyone has never used a mac before you definitely want room to learn. It takes a month or so and then a lot of people don't ever want to go back but its not for everyone.

I'm curious what exactly it is about storing files that you don't like? I love how easy it is to drag and drop to move stuff on my mac, and how awesome the built-in search programs are. Windows XP always expected you to know where to search for what you wanted...if I knew where it was I wouldn't be searching for it. Be careful, if you get a new PC. Windows Vista has taken up a lot of the mac way of moving, storing and searching for files so you may have the same frustrations.

I disagree with this. I bought a mac and with the online instructional videos and numerous forums I was able to figure out the nuts and bolts in a few hours, and I have become a proficient user in a few months.

You would only have a problem with this if you are very very computer illiterate, but if you have graduated from a university without being able to comfortably use a computer, that is the least of your problems.

I disagree with this. I bought a mac and with the online instructional videos and numerous forums I was able to figure out the nuts and bolts in a few hours, and I have become a proficient user in a few months.

You would only have a problem with this if you are very very computer illiterate, but if you have graduated from a university without being able to comfortably use a computer, that is the least of your problems.

For some people you are right, its easier. I never had a problem. But I disagree that someone would have to be computer illiterate to have a problem - for some people swapping from pc to mac is really frustrating.

I'm a big mac promotor but I try to be realistic about the worst case scenario for people and you'd be surprised how frustrated some people get when switching. Between the lack of right mouse clicking (yes I know there is a way to do this but it takes getting used to), the very different finder as opposed to my computer, the drag and drop concept, even opening and closing programs is different! The people that seem to have the most trouble are computer users who are heavy mouse users and do not commonly use keyboard shortcuts since those are big in the macworld. You don't have to be computer illiterate to find it stressful to learn a very different system.

I don't think that should stop anyone. I've talked a lot of friends into macs and most of them get really frustrated at some point or another (one who was NOT computer literate with a PC just left her macbook sitting in a corner for MONTHS because she was too frustrated).

I'm not saying an incoming med student shouldn't get a mac. I just wouldn't recommend to someone trying to adjust to med school (and possible a move across country) at the same time as trying to fight with a computer that they may have issues learning. It would just be much easier to get it in the early summer and play with it for a few months before you start - get everything set up the way you like and then start school. (which works out nicely because new macbook pros frequently come out in June and there is also usually a 'student sale' in the summer from june-september where you get a free ipod (and sometimes a free printer too) with purchase of a new computer.

Macs are amazing devices - if you're even 50/50 on this choice, definitely go with the Mac. They are WAY easier to use and FAR more efficient; the only slightly plausible argument against getting one is that they are more expensive. Some specifics:

Windows is terrible at handling PDFs, and at least at my school we get a ton of PDF files (along with doc and ppt) so using the built-in Mac Preview software is key. Plus you can create a PDF file just by hitting "print" on anything on the entire computer... on PCs you have to buy a PDF maker program. Obviously getting Microsoft Office is a good choice because everyone has it, but the Apple software is pretty darn good too.

Also, check out this program: Papers. Papers is like iTunes for scholarly research articles, and it is FANTASTIC. This is the kind of awesome, useful, efficient technology that is not available on PCs. If you have iPod/iPhone you can also sync your Papers library wirelessly with your computer - so smooth.

The only thing that I have ever needed a PC for so far was some specialized statistical software that we used in my lab last summer. But guess what... they have a PC in the lab that I used, and if I had really wanted to do stats at home (which I don't) then I would have installed Windows on my Mac.

Easy choice in my opinion. The hardest part now is deciding how big you want your Mac's screen size to be.

And to the guy who doesn't know how to use the Mac - are you kidding me? Turn on the right click feature, it's simple. I've had right-click from day one on my external mouse, and on the mousepad you tap with two fingers instead of 1 without the need for a left or right click. If you can't figure it out on your own, then you go to the help menu and type in "right click" and the first article explains it all - how could it be more simple? Almost all keyboard shortcuts are the same on Mac and PC, it's just that you use the "apple" key on Macs and Ctrl on PCs - where's the big problem? Make the switch to Mac, your few hours of uncertainty will be worth the years of having a much better computer.

Both are fine for med. A Mac can do everything a PC does and vice versa. The Mac will be slightly more expensive, but the software is better (crashes less often), and the build quality on the computer will be better.

As another poster pointed out, preview is a fantastic feature. Being able to convert almost anything into a PDF instantly without hunting for software is really handy. Time Machine is great too for backups.

And to the guy who doesn't know how to use the Mac - are you kidding me? Turn on the right click feature, it's simple. I've had right-click from day one on my external mouse, and on the mousepad you tap with two fingers instead of 1 without the need for a left or right click. If you can't figure it out on your own, then you go to the help menu and type in "right click" and the first article explains it all - how could it be more simple? Almost all keyboard shortcuts are the same on Mac and PC, it's just that you use the "apple" key on Macs and Ctrl on PCs - where's the big problem? Make the switch to Mac, your few hours of uncertainty will be worth the years of having a much better computer.

Wow, you didn't read my post. I know how to use a mac. I learned on the job in a day back in college and I TEACH friends how to use their mac. But I have a lot of experience talking people into switching and a lot of very smart people end up very frustrated.

I'm very biased and I personally think everyone should switch to a mac. But I don't think they should try to do it on the day they start med school. That was my ONLY point. If they've never used a mac before they should probably get it at the beginning of summer so its 2nd nature when school starts. Hell, that would be my advice if they were getting a new PC - there are so many idiosyncrasies in any new computer and setting changes you'll want to make and programs you'll want to add that you don't want to be doing that when you're supposed to be focusing on med school.

And my point in mentioning the short cut keys is the mac is very dependent on them (which I think is good) the PC is not. So plenty of PC users go through life never using short cut keys - and then get on a mac and have a hard time with a computer that is more reliant on them. I never said they were different or confusing but a lot of general non-gaming PC users never use a short cut key in their life.

I used PC's exclusively for a long time until I got my macbook two years ago. It took a *little* getting used to but so far has been by far the best computer I've owned.. software works pretty much flawlessly compared with windows and it does everything I need it to do. You will definitely need MS Office for Mac (basically free through a university).

The biggest pain was putting everything in "mac" format, pictures, iTunes, etc. but that took all of a few hours a day for maybe 3 days, not bad at all.

I have a new alum macbook and LOVE it. Super stable compared to my old gateway. Does everything I need it to and has extra great functions like spaces, expose, preview. I do have windows on it because my school's test software is only compatible with windows. I only boot into it on test days. The only PITA is that when I want to share a document I made in word I have to convert it to a PDF if I'm sharing with a windows user. It is simple as pie to do but it seems silly since we're both using word to have a compatibility issue. I don't have any problem reading word documents from windows users tho.