Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

macs in med school

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by Dr OCD, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Dr OCD

Dr OCD Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    hey guys my dell is giving out and i really wanted to buy a mac, but i wanted to know if anyone has had problems with having a mac in med school? thanks :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    You won't have any problems. If you really need to run windows it is simple to do with the new intel chips.

Are you looking for a desktop or a laptop? High end or low end? High end would be mac pro and low end would be mac mini if you were looking for a desktop without the monitor. The iMac is in between in terms of performance but has an integrated monitor.

The laptops are a different story and it's a matter of performance requirement and preference.

I have to say right now is a bad time to buy as the chips will be upgraded in the spring/summer. Leopard may not be out until October but it isn't a big deal unless you must have it. Tiger is a great OS as is.

4. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Moving to Technology where the Super Geeks hang out, for better comment.

5. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    I only encountered a couple of problems, and both were fixed with workarounds. One involved a proriatery program our Anatomy dept uses for old test Qs. I contacted the programmer, and he hooked me up with the fix.

Second was using USMLE World for Step 2, one of the more popular test banks. They were notoriously anti-Mac when I was using it last summer. Again, there is a workaround. Search all forums for "mac usmleworld" and you'll find it.

Those two minor inconveniences aside, you'll be much happier with your Mac. ;)

6. carn311

carn311 Dead tired.

Resident [Any Field]
    Dont forget that if worse comes to worse you can run XP on an intel mac using Bootcamp. All you need is this free download and dvd copy of xp.

Rumor also has it that the new version of osx will have windows emulating capability...

7. Turnerjo13

Turnerjo13 Ski Bum

Dental Student
    Where did you get information about the chip upgrade. I can't seem to find info on it. I would like to know more because I too am considering switching to a mac.

8. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    The rumor is probably about built-in virtualization (not really emulation) capability, like Parallels. Much more elegant and practical than Bootcamp.

9. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/25/next-generation-intel-platform-santa-rosa-tracking-for-may/

There was initial concern that the Santa Rosa chip would be delayed to focus on the Apple phone. This seems to contradict that. In general, Apple releases new products in predictable cycles. June is one of those times. Jobs likes the grandeur and the platform to make these announcements during the WWDC, etc.

10. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Chances are the macbooks should be upgraded in June. If not then then very soon after that. If it doesn't happen until Fall I would be very surprised.

11. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    I recently bought a 24" Imac and I have to say I am totally in love with it. I have a 21 inch tv and I thought that was more than big enough for me, but my Imac makes it look puny by comparison. Let me make it clear that before this I have NEVER used a mac in my life. From experience I can say it took me about a week to get used to OSX and how different it is from windows. But once you get used to it, it actually grows on you.

I also installed windows Vista ultimate with boot camp and it runs perfectly, no complaints here. I use windows for windows specific programs, but OSX for most everything else, including med school stuff. The only time I HAVE to use windows is when I want to watch recorded classes over the internet, as they are compressed using the windows media player format. Other than that mostly mac.

I also bought a TV tuner with a remote to watch cable tv and record programs. So basically my tv is no longer used. I still use an old IMB thinkpad laptop whenever I need portability, but I plan on getting me a macbook as soon as the new models role out sometime in the fall.

By getting a mac you have the option of installing windows (any version) and that helps. If you decide you dont like OSX you can always use your mac exclusively as a windows pc.

Hope that helped. :thumbup:

12. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

Are you sure you need to use windows for that? Flip4Mac is a nice little plugin to play wmv files in quicktime.

13. FotoFusion

FotoFusion Giggity Giggity

Medical Student
    something else that could work, msft makes a windows media player for mac.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/windowsmediaplayerformacosx.html

one other thing: maybe this is true only for the step 1 usmleworld, but it works just fine on my mac. it's just a java applet, so it should be cross platform anyway. maybe it's different for step 2...:scared:

oh, maybe you guys can help with this: i'm having some problems finding a pda that has software for os x. dell axim is a pain to link up with my os x, cd doesn't have os x software. so have any of you found a pda that plays well with your mac? can you recommend any? gracias!

14. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!

Attending Physician
    I've got a Palm, and it works *fine*. Not great, 'cause the interface is pretty old, but the only software I have had problems syncing was ePocrates, which notoriously doesn't play well with mac. For awhile my workaround was to sync ePocrates via wireless connection on the Palm.

Others use this with some success..

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/themissingsync.html

15. Heeed!

Heeed! On target, On time!

I just called Apple Care AGAIN to verify what I was told a couple of months ago. The ONLY device that will sync with the Mac is a Treo 680. I was told it was a compatibility/software issue (i.e. drivers). The battery life on the Treo has been terrible (approx. 10 hours in standby??!!!) but I called Palm tonight and I guess there was an update to the camera which is supposed to fix the battery life................. we'll see.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    You can sync ANY Windows Mobile or Palm OS device with Mac computers (Address Book, Calendar, etc.) using Missing Sync. You can purchase it at www.missingsync.com

18. Heeed!

I have The Missing Sync. I spent 30 minutes on the phone tonight with the Apple guy. I run epocrates and Skyscape programs, and as I recall, syncing those programs was the problem. But he unequivocally stated (as did the other 2 people I've spoke with at Apple) the Treo 680 was my only option. What's the deal????

19. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
  20. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    http://www.missingsync.com/missingsync_palmos_devices.html

That link lists the Treo 600, 650, 680, and 700p as compatible. Apparently Apple Computer doesn't know that much about Missing Sync (nor should they, they didn't write the program).

21. Heeed!

I think the limiting factor is ePocrates and Skyscape. To get a device that can run both sets of software and sync with the mac, a 680 was the only choice. If you know something I don't, though, please let me know.:thumbup:

22. FotoFusion

FotoFusion Giggity Giggity

Medical Student
    oh wow, i had no idea that WMP support is discontinued. thanks for the heads up! i'll go check out flip4mac later.

To the OP: Neither I nor my mac-tastic classmates have run into any problems with our ibooks. Far fewer crashes/stalls, much more intuitive and functional, so damned pretty. This is coming from a Windows/Linux user of many years. Let us know what kind of mac you got(if you decide to go that route!). GL.

23. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    My friend syncs ePocrates with his Mac using Missing Sync. He has a 650.

24. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually windows vista also looks pretty nice, especially with the new aero and dreamscene eyecandy on the desktop. Unfortunately you have to purchase vista ultimate for this and its really not worth the price premium microsoft charges. Windows xp was UGLY, but thankfully ms made some moves in the right direction with vista. As of now I would give a slight edge to vista in the eye candy department. Notice I said slight, OS X is no slouch there either.
    My only real gripe with OS X is that you cannot preview thumbnails of your photos and other files in finder. In windows you open explorer it automatically shows you thumbnails of each photo and file. In OS X you would have to import your photo collection to iphoto to get the same functionality. Once you import it to iphoto the feature is even better than vista, go figure. This is but a small detail and is in no way a deal breaker for me, as OS X is much more intuitive overall than vista.
    Apple has postponed rolling out the next version of OS X, Leopard. They used the iphone as an excuse, but I imagine it has more to do with Apple adding more features to the operating system so it could blow away windows vista. We'll see if thats true.

25. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    Sure you can. Finder Menu --> View --> Show View Options --> Show Icon Preview.

Well, for most of us, anyway. ;)

OS X already blows away Vista.

26. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks a lot KentW:thumbup: I retract my statement.

OS X is a great operating system. I dont consider myself a mac fanatic, just trying to be fair. Overall I like OS X better in terms of functionality, but vista does have much more eyecandy. I think when leopard comes out it will also be chock full of eyecandy. Cant wait to see Apple's answer to the aero GUI.
    Although there are many other, more important, things to consider, I really have to give a thumbs up to microsoft for aero. It is a quantum leap from the ugly xp interface. For ease of use OS X all the way though.

27. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    You've got it backwards...Aero was MS's response to OS X. And, it's still butt-ugly, IMO. If that's eye candy, it tastes like licorice. :barf:

28. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL
    Sorry kent but I have to disagree with you on one aspect. I installed dreamscene and it looks awesome on my imac's 24" screen. Its not necessary nor does it add anything to make the operating system more useful, but it does look nice.
    For those of you that dont know what dreamscene is, it is part of what microsoft calls Ultimate extras, available only to those with vista Ultimate. With dreamscene you can have looping video as wallpaper, and it does look nice.
    Does anyone know if there is a similar program for OS X? It would really kick ass if there were one.

BTW,
    I just read on thinksecret.com that the next generation Imac is going to sport a Quad Core CPU with double HDD's, faster memory and next generation dual (thats two) graphics cards. If this isnt a gamer's dream machine, I dont know what is. This site has been pretty accurate with its predictions, seems they have a mole inside Apple. Of course I dont want it for gaming, all that fast memory, Quad core and dual graphics cards will come in handy for streaming recorded lectures. ;)

29. tscottturner

tscottturner Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not technically, but there is something similar - a program called Onyx that allows you to use a screensaver as your wallpaper (among many other things).

30. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually I just read that Apple is working on an anser to vista's Dreamscene. It will be included as part of OS X leopard without the need to buy a more expensive operating system. One of the benefits of Apple delaying Leopard is that it now has the oportunity to add quite a few things that were not originally planned to be included in the operating system as part of Apple's answer to Vista. I for one believe that the wait will be worth it.

31. tscottturner

tscottturner Member

Resident [Any Field]

Just learned that the free VLC player will play any video file as your desktop background - you just have to look in the advanced options,